Re: Colonies and the Solemn League and Covenant

  • raging_calvinist
    Message 1 of 2 , May 11, 2002
      "I wonder why anyone would want to be free of a covenant
      made with the Lord that promises blessings for obedience."

      Likewise, a good point! We are not bound by the Solemn League and
      Covenant to anything that Scripture does not already bind us to.
      When a witness is called to testify (as all Christians are called to
      do), he swears to tell the truth. This does not mean that prior to
      being "sworn in" lying is not a sin, it just means that after being
      sworn it lying is more than just lying, it's also purjury.

      The SL&L is a response to God's Covenant "I will be your God, and you
      will be My people." In covenanting with God, we reply "We will be
      Your people, and You will be our God." Why the resistance to this?
      I suppose we sinners (myself included) are prone to flee from God.