Re: [Covenanted Reformation Club] Colonies and the Solemn League and Covenant

  • Soles
    Message 1 of 2 , May 11, 2002
      From: "raging_calvinist" <ragingcalvinist@...>
      To: <covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, May 11, 2002 7:15 PM
      Subject: [Covenanted Reformation Club] Colonies and the Solemn League and
      Covenant

      > But as in the case of Israel and Judah, splitting from your mother
      > country does not free you from covenants with God.
      >
      > gmw.

      Good point, Jerry....I wonder why anyone would want to be free of a covenant
      made with the Lord that promises blessings for obedience.

      ~Cathie~

    • raging_calvinist
      Message 2 of 2 , May 11, 2002
        "I wonder why anyone would want to be free of a covenant
        made with the Lord that promises blessings for obedience."

        Likewise, a good point! We are not bound by the Solemn League and
        Covenant to anything that Scripture does not already bind us to.
        When a witness is called to testify (as all Christians are called to
        do), he swears to tell the truth. This does not mean that prior to
        being "sworn in" lying is not a sin, it just means that after being
        sworn it lying is more than just lying, it's also purjury.

        The SL&L is a response to God's Covenant "I will be your God, and you
        will be My people." In covenanting with God, we reply "We will be
        Your people, and You will be our God." Why the resistance to this?
        I suppose we sinners (myself included) are prone to flee from God.