Re: [Covenanted Reformation Club] A Case of Conscience

  • Matthew Winzer
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2002
      Dear Cathie,

      I am still working on the implications, and probably will be till my days'
      end.

      I would regard receiving a service as different from taking up membership in
      the organisation which supplies the service. So in 1 Cor., purchasing
      idolatrous meats in the shambles differs from joining with idolaters in the
      offering of those meats.

      If Yahoo said, alright, you may sign up to various email groups without
      having to become a member of Yahoo, I do not think it would be a problem
      (although their ads and links would still be questionable). But they
      require us to subscribe in order to give their advertisers a client base
      they will be aiming their products at.

      I am coming to the opinion that it is wrong to be a member of Yahoo; but
      just wanted to get some feedback before I made the final decision to
      unsubscribe.

      Yours sincerely,
      Matthew Winzer
    • Soles
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2002
        Dear Matthew,

        Thank you for clarifying your thoughts, now I wonder how does one sit up a
        e-group or club without a host like yahoo, is it possible to have a group on
        one's own so that you do not have to be a member of it? I think all such
        hosts require some kind of signing membership in order to be able to
        discipline those who would use the group/club in a unbecoming manner....like
        one submitting "porn" or something else untasteful or sinful, assaulting the
        other folks on that list. Does anyone belong to a group that does not
        require the person to become a member of it?

        ~Cathie~

        > I am still working on the implications, and probably will be till my days'
        > end.
        >
        > I would regard receiving a service as different from taking up membership
        in
        > the organisation which supplies the service. So in 1 Cor., purchasing
        > idolatrous meats in the shambles differs from joining with idolaters in
        the
        > offering of those meats.
        >
        > If Yahoo said, alright, you may sign up to various email groups without
        > having to become a member of Yahoo, I do not think it would be a problem
        > (although their ads and links would still be questionable). But they
        > require us to subscribe in order to give their advertisers a client base
        > they will be aiming their products at.
        >
        > I am coming to the opinion that it is wrong to be a member of Yahoo; but
        > just wanted to get some feedback before I made the final decision to
        > unsubscribe.
        >
        > Yours sincerely,
        > Matthew Winzer
      • raging_calvinist
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2002
          Again, Matthew, I think you are answering a very interesting
          question. I don't know if I have the answer right now, but I do have
          some questions.

          What kind of association do you consider signing up for Yahoo to be?
          A civil association, a religious association, or a mixed association?
          (Gillespie's distinctions)

          Does providing demographic information in order to use a service
          constitute joining an unlawful association?

          Does being a member of Yahoo provide an opportunity for a crisis
          pulling the believer between loyalties to Christ and loyalties to
          Yahoo?

          Just some questions I think relate to this discussion.