Re: [Covenanted Reformation Club] Re: THE SHROUD

  • jtgriffin
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24 8:00 PM
      Cheryl:

      I didn't forget that it was destroyed. 2 Kings 18, 1Now it came to pass
      in the third year of Hoshea the son of Elah, king of Israel, that
      Hezekiah the son of Ahaz, king of Judah, began to reign. 2He was
      twenty-five years old when he became king, and he reigned twenty-nine
      years in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Abi the daughter of Zechariah.
      3And he did what was right in the sight of the LORD, according to all
      that his father David had done. 4He removed the high places and broke
      the sacred pillars, cut down the wooden image and broke in pieces the
      bronze serpent that Moses had made; for until those days the children of
      Israel burned incense to it, and called it Nehushtan. (Literally, bronze
      thing, perhaps as a reference to the fact that apart from the holy
      purpose to which it had been set apart, which holy purpose had been
      abandoned for an unholy idolatry, it was just another "bronze thing" and
      therefore by nature no god at all.)

      This fact has been ably pointed out by the "Raging Calvinist".

      And, I have some sense that you may perhaps have ducked my question.
      (Maybe you just didn't take me or my question very seriously, and if
      that's the case, well ....)

      I am claiming nothing concerning the authenticity of the Shroud, but
      then its authenticity seems completely beside your point -- i.e.,
      irrelevant to your suggestion for dealing with it. I got the distinct
      impression that, authentic or not, you think it should be destroyed.

      As for my bona fides, I am a five point, psalm-singing, Van Tillian,
      Theonomic, Postmillennial, Federalist, divine right Presbyterian, with
      some interest in biblical archaeology. I'm all for pulling down the
      high places and taking captive every thought. I believe that offering
      evidences for faith to the obdurate offends God because (a) the evidence
      is really all around and inside him and (b) the only reason the
      unbeliever does not accept the evidence that speaks day and night with
      such eloquence is simply because he is obdurate. And I have almost no
      discernablesense of humor at all <wink>.

      None of this leads me inexoriably to the conclusion that an AUTHENTIC
      shroud (established beyond a moral doubt by currently accepted
      scientific procedures) should be destroyed.

      My question to you was basically, where would you draw the line. Allow
      me to elaborate on that question. Are we talking about the Shroud and
      only the Shroud, or are there other things that should be destroyed (I
      listed some of them)? What does the example of Hezekiah in 2 Kings
      require us to do with artifacts of the biblical world? How will we know
      when we are acting hysterically?

      In Christ,

      J.T.