Re: [Covenanted Reformation Club] Work related Q's

  • jtgriffin
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 20, 2002
      jrschuiling wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > As I posted earlier I have started a new job, I have a few questions
      > I would like to thow out there reguarding work for y'all-
      >
      > Is the Christian bound in any way in our free employment culture to
      > remain at a job where you are treated harshly and subjected
      > wickedness?

      You are not bound to remain in any job you don't want to be in. You are
      only obliged monetarily to support yourself and to have something to
      provide for the poor. You must engage in honorable work that is kingdom
      building, but the details of that work are I think a matter of Christian
      liberty.

      > When a supervisor tells you to do something to decieve the boss in
      > some way what do you do?

      You should obey your boss and your immediate supervisor whenever you can
      honorably do so. In all cases, you must obey God rather than men. If
      your mother, whom you ought to honor, tries to turn you against your
      father, especially for dishonorable purposes, what do you do then? You
      honor both parents as a way of having only one God and of having no
      other god. See fifth commandment.

      > When a boss or supervisor tells you to do poor quality work what do
      > you do?

      You do not steal.

      > When you are told to do something that cheats the customer what do
      > you do?

      You do not steal.

      > Is it stealing to take things your employer throws away?

      Not if he threw it away, unless he has a rule about not taking things
      that have been thrown away. In any case I would think you were entitled
      to take it once it is off his property. That may mean you have to look
      for it at the land fill.

      > How do the following verses apply to the modern work environment?
      >
      > Ephesians 6:5
      > Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with
      > sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.

      I rather think that this injunction is tied directly to a condition of
      involuntary servitude and would base the duty to obey your employer upon
      other texts. I think that in view of these verses it should be
      impossible for anyone to say that slavery (involuntary servitude) per se
      is unbiblical or unethical. I'm open to correction.

      > Colossians 3:22
      > Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only
      > when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity
      > of heart and reverence for the Lord.

      As above.

      > 1 Timothy 6:1
      > All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters
      > worthy of full respect, so that God's name and our teaching may not
      > be slandered.

      As above.

      > Titus 2:9
      > Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to
      > please them, not to talk back to them,

      As above.

      > 1 Peter 2:18
      > Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only
      > to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are
      > harsh.

      As above.

      In Christ,

      J.T. Griffin