Re: Great posts on worship

  • raging_calvinist
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 13 8:42 PM
      "All the reformation that is among us is meaningless if there is not
      a humiliation before all our false worship." (Jeremiah Burroughs)

      Great quote, Jeff! Thank you. Of course, the above statement is
      true. Our manner of worship was of PRIMARY importance to our
      Reformers, and IS of PRIMARY importance to reformation itself. This
      is why Luther wrote, "This is one mayne principle of the doctrine we
      professe (against the forged superstitions of the Papists), that we
      undertake no work in the things which appertaine unto worship,
      concerning which we have not an express command of God." And it is
      why Calvin wrote,

      "If it be inquired, then, by what things chiefly the Christian
      religion has a standing existence amongst us, and maintains its
      truth, it will be found that the following two not only occupy the
      principal place, but comprehend under them all the other parts, and
      consequently the whole substance of Christianity: that is, a
      knowledge, first, of the mode in which God is duly worshipped; and,
      secondly, of the source from which salvation is to be obtained."

      Worship is most important, because it involves what sinful man dares
      to offer to a Holy God. Oh, that God's people would repent of their
      sinful worship practices and return again to what the Lord requires
      and approves of!