Re: The importance of Catechism (2)

  • raging_calvinist
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28, 2002
      More from Dr. Luther on the Catechism:

      "In the catechism, we have a very exact, direct, and short way to the
      whole Christian religion. For God himself gave the Ten Commandments,
      Christ himself penned and taught the Lord's Prayer, the Holy
      Ghost
      brought together the articles of faith. These three pieces are set
      down so excellently, that never could anything have been better; but
      they are slighted and contemned by us as things of small value,
      because the little children daily say them. The catechism is the most
      complete and best doctrine, and therefore should continually be
      preached; all public sermons should be grounded and built thereupon.
      I could wish we preached it daily, and distinctly read it out of the
      book. But our preachers and hearers have it at their finger's
      ends;
      they have already swallowed it all up; they are ashamed of the slight
      and simple doctrine, as they hold it, and will be thought of higher
      learning. The parishioners say: Our preachers fiddle always one tune;
      they preach nothing but the catechism, the Ten Commandments, the
      Creed, the Lord's Prayer, baptism, and the Lord's Supper; all
      which
      we know well enough already, but the catechism, I insist, is the
      right Bible of the laity, wherein is contained the whole sum of
      Christian doctrine necessary to be known by every Christian for
      salvation." -- Martin Luther (Table Talk: Of the Catechism)