Re: Psalmody

  • thedatarat
    Message 1 of 734 , May 24, 2001
      *<br><br>"or any other way not prescribed in the
      brings the issue back to the frame of<br>reference where
      it ought be: Does the Bible<br>authorize worship of
      the Lord with songs not<br>found in the Psalms
      ?<br><br>As the Genevan Rodent has demonstrated
      by<br>exegesis of Ephesians 5:18-19 (thanx Clarimer !),<br>we
      have the necessary Scriptural
      the<br>neglect of the churches at the time of
      might have an exemplar here in Lutheranism.<br>Did the
      Lutherans sing Luther's hymns in<br>worship ? If so, we can
      date hymnody back to
      Westminster<br>Assembly was indeed to exclude uninspired hymns<br>in the
      it's certainly NOT<br>explicit. One wonders why -if
      that was their<br>clear intention- they weren't plain
      in stating so.<br>It would have been so easy to come
      out and just<br>state it. The Westminister had no
      problem being<br>uneqivocal on other points
      taken word-for-word from the Bible are<br>to be
      denounced as "uninspired" any more than the<br>preacher's
      sermon is denounced as "uninspired"<br>because it has
      content not taken word-for-word<br>from Scripture
      I'm<br>curious, what is the Psalm to hymn ratio? It's
      my<br>experience that most Churches, if the sing Psalms<br>at all,
      have maybe one Psalm thrown in among 3-5<br>uninspired
      hymns. Is this the case at your
      congregation which Bro. Rat has membership<br>in sings no song
      verbatum from the Book of Psalms.<br>We have, though,
      songs ~based~ on the Psalms.<br><br>The ratio of such
      psalmody to other hymns is on<br>the order of something
      your church sing the literal Psalms ? If so,<br>from
    • almo_no1
      Message 734 of 734 , Sep 18, 2001
        prayers are easy gmw, you've got 'em.