Re: Psalmody

  • raging_calvinist
    Message 1 of 734 , May 24 5:06 AM
      Hi Chris, <br><br>Welcome, and thanks for coming
      to the club.<br><br>You asked, "what are the hymns
      and spiritual songs referred to here?"<br><br>To me,
      that's like reading the the Apostles did "miracles,
      signs, and wonders" and asking what the signs and
      wonders refer to; like reading that "prayer,
      supplications, and intercessions" be made for all men, and
      asking what the supplications and intercessions refer
      to.<br><br>They mean the same thing. When Jesus and the disciples
      are said to have sung an hymn (Matthew 26:30), do
      scholars have any idea what this hymn might have been?
      Yes! Scholars generally recognize this hymn to be one
      of the Egyptian Hallel Psalms (Pss. 113-118) which
      were customarilly sung on the night of the Paschal
      supper. So the term hymn does refer to the Psalms. Also,
      it should be noted that in the Greek Septuagint
      "humnos" occurs in six of the Psalm titles, and "odee"
      occurs some 36 times in the Psalm titles. Of course, the
      title "psalmos" appears in quite a few of the Psalm
      titles as well. So, I believe Paul was simply exhorting
      us to sing Psalms. He did not command anyone to
      compose songs, but sing them. What would you sing if you
      had God's Psalter (a collection of divinely inspired
      psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs) in your home and/or
      at your congregation and an Apostle commanded you to
      sing Psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs? <br><br>You
      wrote, "I know that we have some evidence of primitive
      doxological Christological hymnody in the NT
      epistles."<br><br>Not to be a smartie-pants, but what exactly would the
      evidence for that be? I know that some reputable
      commentators have asserted that there are occassional "hymn
      fragments" in the Epistles, but what evidence do they offer
      besides the fact that they are poetic sections? What
      evidence do we have that they were ever sung by anyone?
      What evidence do we have to suggest that they are
      songs and not poems? And supposing for the sake of
      argument that they were songs Paul quotes, what evidence
      is there that this is what Paul intends for us to
      sing in public worship of God?<br><br>You wrote, "For
      me, it ain't Sunday until I've sung an Isaac Watts
      hymn."<br><br>There is strong evidence that Mr. Watts was an
      anti-Trinitarian. See
    • almo_no1
      Message 734 of 734 , Sep 18, 2001
        prayers are easy gmw, you've got 'em.