John Calvin comments on Ps. 81:13 (2)

  • raging_calvinist
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2001
      Calvin on Psalm 81:13 continued:<br><br>"God, in
      coming down to us by his word, and addressing his
      invitations to all men without exception, disappoints nobody.
      All who sincerely come to him are received, and find
      from actual experience that they were not called in
      vain. At the same time, we are to trace to the fountain
      of the secret electing purpose of God this
      difference, that the word enters into the heart of some,
      while others only hear the sound of it. And yet there
      is no inconsistency in his complaining, as it were,
      with tears, of our folly when we do not obey him. In
      the invitations which he addresses to us by the
      external word, he shows himself to be a father; and why
      may he not also<br>be understood as still
      representing himself under the image of a father in using this
      form of complaint? In Ezekiel 18:32, he declares with
      the<br>strictest regard to truth, "I have no pleasure in the death
      of him that dieth," provided in the interpretation
      of the passage we candidly and<br>dispassionately
      take into view the whole scope of it. God has no
      pleasure in the death of a sinner: How? because he would
      have all men turned to himself. But it is abundantly
      evident, that men by their own free-will cannot turn to
      God, until he first change their stony hearts into
      hearts of<br>flesh: yea, this renovation, as Augustine
      judiciously observes, is a work surpassing that of the
      creation itself. Now what hinders God from bending and
      framing the hearts of all men equally in submission to
      him? Here modesty and sobriety must be observed, that
      instead of presuming to<br>intrude into his
      incomprehensible decrees, we may rest contented with the
      revelation which he has made of his will in his word. There
      is the justest<br>ground for saying that he wills
      the salvation of those to whom that language is
      addressed, (Isaiah 21:12,) 'Come unto me, and be ye
      converted.' In the second part of the verse before us, we
      have defined what it is to hear God. To assent to what
      he speaks would not be enough; for hypocrites will
      grant at once that whatever proceeds from his mouth is
      true, and will affect to listen just as if an ass
      should bend its ears. But the clause is intended to
      teach us that we can only be said to hear God, when we
      submit ourselves to his authority."<br><br>gmw.