John Calvin comments on Ps. 81:13

  • raging_calvinist
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2001
      I found this just now. This section is packed
      with juicey stuff about the Gospel call, the sincere
      invitation of the Gospel, God's wishes towards all who hear,
      etc:<br><br>"O if my people had hearkened to me! By the
      honorable designation which God gives to the people of
      Israel, He exposes the more effectually<br>their shameful
      and disgraceful conduct. Their wickedness was doubly
      aggravated, as will appear from the consideration, that
      although God called<br>them to be his people, they
      differed nothing from those who were the greatest
      strangers to him....<br>The Hebrew particle [lu] which I
      have rendered O if! is not to be understood as
      expressing a condition, but a wish; and therefore God, I
      have no doubt, like a man weeping and lamenting, cries
      out, O the wretchedness of this people in wilfully
      refusing to have their best interests<br>carefully
      provided for! He assumes the character of a father, and
      observing, after having tried every possible means for the
      recovery of his children, that their condition is utterly
      hopeless, he uses the language of one saddened, as it were,
      with sighing and groaning; not that he is subject to
      human passions, but because he cannot otherwise express
      the greatness of the love which he bears towards us.
      The Prophet seems to have borrowed this passage from
      the song of Moses in Deut. 32:29, where the obstinacy
      of the people is bewailed in almost the same words:
      'Oh that they were wise, that they understood this,
      that they would consider their latter end!' He means
      tacitly to upbraid the Jews, and to impress upon their
      minds the truth, that their own perverseness was the
      only cause which prevented them from enjoying a state
      of great outward prosperity. If it is objected, that
      God in vain and without ground utters this complaint,
      since it was in his power to bend the stiff necks
      of<br>the people, and that, when he was not pleased to do
      this, he had no reason to compare himself to a man
      deeply grieved; I answer, that he very properly makes
      use of this style of speaking on our account, that we
      may seek for the procuring cause of our misery
      nowhere but in ourselves. We<br>must here beware of
      mingling together things which are totally different � as
      widely different from each other as heaven is distant