Re: Adam violated the Covenant of Works

  • knoxknoxwhosthere
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2001
      <<I'm not sure that Vincent, according to
      your discription, is stepping outside the confines of
      our Confession, but certainly the idea that Adam did
      not violate the Covenant of Works but the Covenant of
      Grace does.>><br><br>GMW, my apologies for the
      confusion. Vincent upholds the WLC and WCF as you have
      stated it. The person I am in discussion with is a
      Belgie who is contending that Adam sinned and
      transgressed against the Covenant of Grace, and that there was
      no distinct Covenant of Works. He says that the WCF
      is wrong to call it such. Thus all men are governed
      on the basis of the Covenant of Grace.<br><br>Now, I
      would contend that there are three categories of men:
      The elect in the visible Church, the unregenerate in
      the visible church, and the unbelieving pagan who is
      outside the visible church. But the conclusions being
      drawn by this other person would lead us to believe
      that man falls into only two categories: covenant
      keepers and covenant breakers of the Covenant of
      Grace.<br><br>It gets complicated but the trail this person is
      going down is also leading to the conclusion that the
      visible/invisible distinction that is made in regards to the Church
      is not found in Scripture.<br><br>So this is why I
      am searching for the logical trail that leads us to
      conclude that the covenant that God made with Adam has all
      the hallmarks of a covenant and is a distinct
      covenant from the Covenant of Grace. I just got ahold of
      Witsius book on "The Economy of the Covenants Between God
      and Man" which I intend to start reading through. And
      yes, I need Rutherford's book on "The Covenant of Life
      Opened" but funds for books are always in short
      supply...<br><br>Knoxknox