Re: Mediator not by necessity of nature

  • thebishopsdoom
    Message 1 of 734 , Jul 28, 2001
      Raging: "I'd like to offer up some George
      Gillespie quotes for discussion"<br>Brother, that would be
      PATRICK Gillespie, George's brother.<br> "I've witnessed
      in some other forums recently this idea popping up
      that God acts by necessity of nature (i.e., God HAD to
      create, He HAD to punish sin, He HAD to show mercy on
      some, etc, because He is God and God by nature must do
      those things). I am not suprised that an Arminian would
      buy this line. But it is Calvinists that I've seen
      asserting this stuff."<br>Paradoxically, while the
      rejection of such a view had strong Reformed defenders,
      socinians actually were using this same rejection to allow
      a denial substitutionary atonement.<br>The issues
      involved were probably not too well understood until the
      1300s when it sparked much discussion especially with
      reference to Anselm's theory of the atonement in Cur Deus
      Homo. Duns Scotus, a prominent figure in that debate
      stated: "How much did that merit [of Christ] avail for
      sufficiency? Just as everything else, other than God, is good
      for the reason that it has been willed by God and not
      the other way around, so also that merit had as much
      goodness as it was accepted to have." (Oxford Commentary
      on the Sentences. 3.19.q.un.7.) And, "But if we want
      to rescue Anselm, we can say that all of his
      reasonings proceed on the presumption of the divine
      ordinance which ordained that man should be redeemed in
      this way... By his foreordination God willed not to
      accept man for redemption except through the death of
      his Son." (Oxford Comm. q. un. 10.)<br>(While not
      advocating his soteriology, to anyone who's curious in light
      of the quotes, Scotus's own predestinarian views
      were fairly high, holding to a supralapsarian election
      [though only a negative supralapsarian reprobation].)
    • almo_no1
      Message 734 of 734 , Sep 18, 2001
        prayers are easy gmw, you've got 'em.