Re: efficacious baptism

  • raging_calvinist
    Message 1 of 734 , Jul 3, 2001
      do you attribute nothing more to the water than that
      it is a figure of ablution?<br><br>S[tudent]. I
      understand it to be a figure, but still so that the reality
      is annexed to it; for God does not disappoint us
      when he promises us his gifts. Accordingly, it is
      certain that both pardon of sins and newness of life are
      offered to us in baptism, and received by us.<br><br>M.
      Is this grace bestowed on all
      indiscriminately?<br><br>S. Many precluding its entrance by their depravity,
      make it void to themselves. Hence the benefit extends
      to believers only, and yet the<br>Sacrament loses
      nothing of its nature.<br><br>M. Whence is Regeneration
      derived?<br><br>S. From the Death and Resurrection of Christ taken
      together. His death hath this efficacy, that by means of it
      our old man is crucified, and the vitiosity of our
      nature in a manner buried, so as no more to be in rigor
      in us. Our reformation to a new life, so as to obey
      the righteousness of God, is the result of the
      resurrection.<br><br>M. How are these blessings bestowed upon us by
      Baptism?<br><br>S. If we do not render the promises there offered
      unfruitful by rejecting them, we are clothed with Christ,
      and presented with his
    • almo_no1
      Message 734 of 734 , Sep 18, 2001
        prayers are easy gmw, you've got 'em.