efficacious baptism

  • raging_calvinist
    Message 1 of 734 , Jun 28, 2001
      I do not believe in the campbellite or papist
      views of "baptismal regeneration." <br><br>"Although it
      is a great sin to contemn or neglect this ordinance,
      yet grace and salvation are not so inseparably
      annexed unto it, as that no person can be regenerated, or
      saved, without it: or, that all that are baptized are
      undoubtedly regenerated." [WCF 28:5]<br><br>However, I
      believe the orthodox view of regeneration does teach that
      baptism, rightly administered, is a means by which grace
      is not only signified, but actually conferred to the
      elect.<br><br>"Thus there are as many schemes of redemption as there
      are teachers of these mystical opinions. And when we
      come to refute them, we shall show in its
      fitting-place, that this class of men have been instigated by
      Satan to a denial of that baptism which is regeneration
      to God, and thus to a renunciation of the whole
      faith." [Irenaeus, Against Heresies, book 1, chapter
      21].<br><br>"[S]ince we know now what Baptism is, and how it is to be
      regarded, we must also learn why and for what purpose it is
      instituted; that is, what it profits, gives and works. And
      this also we cannot discern better than from the words
      of Christ above quoted: He that believeth and is
      baptized shall be saved. Therefore state it most simply
      thus, that the power, work, profit, fruit, and end of
      Baptism is this, namely, to save. For no one is baptized
      in order that he may become a prince, but, as the
      words declare, that he be saved. But to be saved, we
      know, is nothing else than to be delivered from sin,
      death, and the devil, and to enter into the kingdom of
      Christ, and to live with Him forever. Here you see again
      how highly and precious we should esteem Baptism,
      because in it we obtain such an unspeakable treasure,
      which also indicates sufficiently that it cannot be
      ordinary mere water. For mere water could not do such a
      thing, but the Word does it, and (as said above) the
      fact that the name of God is comprehended therein. But
      where the name of God is, there must be also life and
      salvation, that it may indeed be called a divine, blessed,
      fruitful, and gracious water; for by the Word such power is
      imparted to Baptism that it is a laver of regeneration, as
      St. Paul also calls it, Titus 3:5." [Martin Luther,
      Larger Catechism, Part Fourth, of Baptism]<br><br>"And
      thus we utterly damn the vanity of those that affirm
      sacraments to be nothing else but naked and bare signs. No,
      we assuredly believe that by baptism we are
      engrafted in Christ Jesus, to be made partakers of his
      justice, by the which our sins are covered and remitted;
      and also, that in the supper, rightly used, Christ
      Jesus is so joined with us, that he becomes the very
      nourishment and food of our souls.[Scottish Confession of
      Faith, 1560].<br><br>"The grace which is exhibited in or
      by the sacraments rightly used, is not conferred by
      any power in them; neither does the efficacy of a
      sacrament depend upon the piety or intention of him that
      does administer it: but upon the work of the Spirit,
      and the word of institution, which<br>contains,
      together with a precept authorizing the use thereof, a
      promise of benefit to worthy receivers." [WCF
      27:3]<br><br>"The efficacy of Baptism is not tied to that moment of
      time wherein it is administered; yet, notwithstanding,
      by the right use of this ordinance, the grace
      promised is not only offered, but really exhibited, and
      conferred,<br>by the Holy Ghost, to such (whether of age or
      infants) as that grace belongs unto, according to the
      counsel of God's own will, in His appointed<br>time."
      [WCF 28:6]<br><br>I would like to hash this out a bit
      if anyone's up for a discussion on it.<br><br>gmw.
    • almo_no1
      Message 734 of 734 , Sep 18, 2001
        prayers are easy gmw, you've got 'em.