Re: Designed for Pleasure?

  • thebishopsdoom
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2001
      d'M asked:<br>"Is it wrong to seek to
      artificially produce a child<br>by in-vetro
      fertilization?"<br>Let's first just deal with the ethical question of the
      concepti produced in the in vitro process. This isn't
      exactly my area of nursing, but I have some idea of what
      goes on.<br>In in vitro fertilization, a child is
      conceived outside of the womb in a tube or petri dish. It
      is "cultured" for a few days, and then placed into
      the womb, where ideally it will implant itself and
      the child will grow into a healthy baby. In some
      cases, such a child is frozen in that state until the
      woman is ready for them, in other cases, the child is
      deposited into the woman when the child is ready.<br>The
      chances of the child's survival from petri-dish or test
      tube to implantation I believe seems slimmer than the
      chances in the natural way. I know that most women in
      their life will lose a child in the early stages long
      before she would ever tell she conceived. I do not know
      the statistics on how many on average. But of over
      4,000 in vitro embryos in one study, only 11% actually
      survived the whole process and came to birth. I am not
      certain that it is as safe for the newly formed child as
      regular conception in the womb. And in the case of frozen
      embryos, freezing people at that earliest stage when they
      can still survive indefinitely being frozen in such a
      way - that's another ethical issue. They have not yet
      developed into the various segregated body parts, and I
      don't know offhand whether they necessarily yet have
      developed the various specialized cells that will develop
      into these parts, yet if we agree that there is a soul
      there from conception, should we be freezing the
      development of that child indefinitely, leaving their soul in
      a virtual limbus infantum?<br>But here's another
      angle. Where do they get the sperm from? In fact, where
      do they get the sperm from for certain fertility
      tests often used to determine whether it is the man or
      the woman that is having the problem? It's not
      surgically removed. And they don't remove it from the wife
      after coitus. Use your imagination. I'm giving no
      further hints as to the collection procedure.<br>You had
      asked before about whether different quivers will have
      different sizes, some large and some small, and who is to
      decide. Yes, some will be large, and others will not be.
      The point is, it is up to God to make the quiver, our
      job is to shoot straight with whatever young arrows
      we are given. Now sometimes there are quiver fulls
      waiting whose parents have given them up and left them.
      I'm not advocating that young women abandon their
      children to the adoption agencies, but so long as there
      are needy children who have been given up, this may
      be a legitimate option for some couples to grow that
      quiver they always wanted. On the negative side,
      especially if they are a little older, it may take some real
      work, because they may already be carrying some baggage
      along. So this option is definitely not for everyone.
      But for some couples, it may be.