Re: Catechizing vs. Cramming, adult or c

  • thedatarat
    Message 1 of 734 , Jun 13, 2001
      *<br><br>"Please help me to see where the moral
      problem is<br>with catechizing adults (or children) who
      favorite rodent missed something,<br>NOBODY claimed there
      was a "moral problem" with<br>catechizing those
      outside the Church.<br><br>Indeed, catechism is primarily
      used (with adults<br>at least) for those outside the
      Church wanting in.<br><br>Bro. Rat suspects, however,
      we're talking using<br>the catechism for evangelism. Is
      THAT correct ?<br><br>If so... we must distinguish
      catechize two groups: Those not members of the<br>Church
      who desire to join. This will be adults.<br>And,
      covenant children already in the church.<br><br>Certainly,
      we can ~use~ the great Reformed
      creeds,<br>catechisms, statements of faith, canons and<br>confessions in
      our evangelism. The DataRat has.<br><br>Never seen
      the unregenerate sit still for actually<br>being
      catechized though !<br><br>"Catechism" is associated with
      preparation for<br>participation in the Body of Christ. Only
      the<br>Born Again, and covenant children, ought to even<br>be
      admitted to the life of visible churches.<br><br>The
      Reformed catechisms have other uses besides,<br>yet none
      of these are "catechism" per se.<br><br>Catechism
      being a systematic, somewhat lengthy<br>and involved
      tutorial. In this it markedly<br>differs from the
      practical reasons, evangelism ought be done<br>directly
      with Scripture rather than creeds and<br>catechisms
      (which is why it's called "EVANGELism").<br>Not that the
      creeds, catechisms, etc. aren't based<br>upon the Bible.
      Just for practical reasons we can<br>discuss if you
      Calvinist forum: "Is the Pope
    • almo_no1
      Message 734 of 734 , Sep 18 4:52 PM
        prayers are easy gmw, you've got 'em.