Encouragement to Pray for a new kind of Rule and Law in ....

  • truepresbyterian
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2010

      Encouragement to Pray for a new kind of Rule & Law in America, or your own land, wherever that may be.

      Two weeks ago I read with my family a sermon from John Flavel's Fountain of Life on the Illegal Trial of Christ, but we ran out of time for reading the section of Inferences. So we read them today, and I thought I would share the first inference by posting it here, where I am sure it expresses the burden of several Christians' hearts.

      TrPr.

      [ Flavel's Works, Vol. 1. pages 304-305: ]

      Inference [1]: Do you see what was here done against Christ, under pretence of law? What cause have we to pray for good laws, and righteous executioners of them?

      O! It is a singular mercy to live under good laws, which protect the innocent from injury. Laws are hedges about our lives, liberties, estates, and all the comforts we enjoy in this world. Times will be evil enough, when iniquity is not discountenanced and punished by law; but how evil are those times like to prove when iniquity is established by law! as the Psalmist complains, Psalm 94.20.  It was a complaint of Pliny to Trajan, that "whereas crimes were wont to be the burden of the age, now laws were so; and that he feared the commonwealth which was established, would be subverted by laws." [Plin. ad Trajan.]  It is not likely that virtue will much flourish, when "judgment springs up as hemlock in the furrows of the field," Hos. 10.4.  How much therefore is it our concernment to pray, that "judgment may run down as a mighty stream?" Amos 5.24.  "That our officers may be peace, and our exactors righteousness?" Isa. 60.17.  It was not therefore without great reason, that the apostle exhorted, that "supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men; for kings, and all that are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty," 1 Tim. 2.1,2.  Great is the interest of the church of God in them; they are instruments of much good or much evil.