Re: [Covenanted Reformation] AROSE A G A I N = PREDESTINATION!!!

  • Jeff Yelton
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 1, 2010
      I know First OPC SF well. I candidated there. Yes, Glenn Ferrell is going there (if he's not there already). And yes, Chuck McIlhenny (sp?) was there. I think the latter lives in southern CA, and may be out of the pastoral ministry, though I am not sure.

      They sing the psalms exclusively at First OP SF, without musical instruments. A nice bunch of folks.

      Jeff

      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 1, 2010
        I'm now resident in the manse of First OPC in San Francisco, on the west side of the city, 1350 Lawton Street.  This was the congregation served by Charles McIlhenny for 32 years.  He is now a hospital chaplain in Southern California.  During Mr. McIlhenny's pastorate, First OPC did become an a capella Exclusive Psalmody congregation.  They remain so.  One of the reasons their pulpit was vacant for five years was the difficulty of finding a man who shared their views and could articulate them.  The Lord willing, I will be installed as Pastor this coming Friday, November 5th, at 7:30 PM.

        Glenn

        J. Glenn Ferrell, Pastor-elect of First Orthodox Presbyterian Church in San Francisco.

        To: covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
        From: bsuden@...
        Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 22:14:20 +0000

        "PuritanoPresbiteriano" <puritanpresbyterian@...> wrote:

        > Hey, where's the "Like" button on this thing?
        >
        > I "Like" this post by Rev. Ferrell.
        >
        > ;^)
        >
        > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Glenn Ferrell
        jglennferrell@ wrote:

        > > I suspect people are more active on Facebook and other forums today
        than listservers like this one. To imply one has an obligation to post
        or respond on this or any group is to make an internet forum an
        ordinance or means of grace. The church is where one has an obligation
        to encourage fellow believers.

        > > Eric: Why not tell us something about yourself and your concerns.
        People here may then offer some encouragement and help.

        > > Glenn
        > >

        > > J. Glenn Ferrell, Minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, about to
        be "translated" to San Francisco.

        > > To: covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
        > > From: ragingcalvinist@
        > > Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 14:40:20 +0000
        > > Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] AROSE A G A I N =
        PREDESTINATION!!!

        > > Jack,
        > >
        > > I just now placed him on moderation, and deleted his last 4 messages
        (all identical, all nonsensical, all accusatory in some way).

        > > I don't know him, and I imagine I only understand a small percentage
        of what he's attempting to communicate.

        > > I'm sorry this group is so quiet, but silence is better than
        nonsense.

        > > gmw.
        > >
        > > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Jasper
        <jasperh98@> wrote:

        > > > Jerry,
        > > >
        > > > Regarding this person "Eric", apparently some members here know
        him and even
        > > > understand his incoherent ramblings. I do not know him or
        understand much of
        > > > what he posts; but I do understand that he just stated that some
        of us are
        > > > abominable and sinful for being "quiet at the listserver". I
        am not edified by
        > > > his posts and I find this latest post to be quite annoying.Â
        Am I missing
        > > > something here that prevents me from receiving this some better
        way?

        > > > Jack
        > > >

        > > > ________________________________
        PREDESTINATION!!!

        > > > Howdy,
        > > > John Calvin ---
        > > > "Christ in rising again..."
        > > > AGAIN?!?!?!
        > > > Does the original language declare that
        > > > as it is understood in the English,
        > > > or is that a figure a speech???
        > > > The abominable Reformed "Christians" are sinfully quiet at the
        listserver;
        > > > wish sombody would answer that though.............
        > > > If only thee elect angels could speak...
        > > > That if Again is declared how you understand that word,
        > > > a truly amazing reality is written there about
        > > > P R E D E S T I N A T I O N!!!
        > > > That He died before the foundation of thee world, spirituallly,
        > > > where He agreed///saluted to be our Saviour;
        > > > than He did thee same, really, on Thee Cross!!!
        > > > Sincerely, Eric

      • bob_suden
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 7, 2010
          Thanks Glenn et al, for clarifying this.
          I used to have family in SF and still do in Beserkley and Portola
          Valley. Haven't dropped into First for years. Chuck and the elders at
          one time were working with a mission outreach in Fremont/S. Bay, so I
          kind of wondered if he had gone there. Hadn't heard that he moved to
          LA. Since Chuck and the church also took some real heat from the modern
          day descendants of a certain Biblical city, as well as holding to the
          historic presbyterian position on worship in both principle and
          <i>practice</i> (I heard GI. Williamson at First's '96 conference on
          worship), one can understand the vacancy, but five years is still a
          long time. I imagine there was a lot of candidating, pulpit supply from
          presbytery and taped sermons. Good on First for holding out.

          The Lord's best to the new pastor and congregation.
          Bob S.

          <jglennferrell@...> wrote:

          > I'm now resident in the manse of First OPC in San Francisco, on the
          west side of the city, 1350 Lawton Street. This was the congregation
          served by Charles McIlhenny for 32 years. He is now a hospital chaplain
          in Southern California. During Mr. McIlhenny's pastorate, First OPC did
          become an a capella Exclusive Psalmody congregation. They remain so.
          One of the reasons their pulpit was vacant for five years was the
          difficulty of finding a man who shared their views and could articulate
          them. The Lord willing, I will be installed as Pastor this coming
          Friday, November 5th, at 7:30 PM.

          > Glenn
          >

          > J. Glenn Ferrell, Pastor-elect of First Orthodox Presbyterian Church
          in San Francisco.

          > To: covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
          > From: bsuden@...
          > Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 22:14:20 +0000
          > Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] AROSE A G A I N =
          PREDESTINATION!!!

          > It was a good answer by "J. Glenn Ferrell, Minister of the Gospel of
          > Jesus Christ, about to be "translated" to San Francisco."
          >
          > My question would be, where in SF?
          >
          > First OPC of SF which was a psalm singing congregation?
          > Former pastor Chuck McIllhenny left I don't know when and went where?
          >
          > Anybody know?

          > "PuritanoPresbiteriano" puritanpresbyterian@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Hey, where's the "Like" button on this thing?
          > >
          > > I "Like" this post by Rev. Ferrell.
          > >
          > > ;^)
          > >
          > > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Glenn Ferrell
          > jglennferrell@ wrote:
          > > >

          > > > I suspect people are more active on Facebook and other forums
          today
          > than listservers like this one. To imply one has an obligation to post
          > or respond on this or any group is to make an internet forum an
          > ordinance or means of grace. The church is where one has an obligation
          > to encourage fellow believers.
          > > >
          > > > Eric: Why not tell us something about yourself and your concerns.
          > People here may then offer some encouragement and help.
          > > >
          > > > Glenn
          > > >

          > > > J. Glenn Ferrell, Minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, about to
          > be "translated" to San Francisco.

        • Larry Bump
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 7, 2010
            Pator Ferrell;

            Tell Michelle Majauskas we miss her and love her.

            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 7, 2010
              Installation was Friday evening.  It was a wonderful gathering with folk from probably eight or more congregations.  Good food and fellowship, with sermon and charges to new pastor and congregation.  Bob Needham, in his sermon at the installation service, noted that the building of First OPC SF was probably the only OP congregation anywhere ever to come under actual physical attack. His message was on our warrior Savior.

              Today, preached first two sermons as pastor of FOPCSF.

              Glenn

              J. Glenn Ferrell, Pastor, First Orthodox Presbyterian Church of San Francisco.

              To: covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
              From: bsuden@...
              Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 18:18:30 +0000

              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 7, 2010
                Larry:

                Will do so.  Michelle and her family just left here about an hour ago.  Wonderful folk.

                Glenn

                J. Glenn Ferrell, Pastor, First Orthodox Presbyterian Church of San Francisco.

                > To: covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
                > From: lbump@...
                > Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 17:55:28 -0500
                > Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] AROSE A G A I N = PREDESTINATION!!!
                >
                > Pator Ferrell;
                >
                > Tell Michelle Majauskas we miss her and love her.
                >
                > --
                > Larry Bump (but it's at the top of the message beside "From:")

                > <*> Your email settings:
                > Individual Email | Traditional
                >
                > <*> To change settings online go to:
                > (Yahoo! ID required)
                >
                > <*> To change settings via email:
                > covenantedreformationclub-digest@yahoogroups.com
                > covenantedreformationclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Larry Bump
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 7, 2010
                  On 11/8/2010 12:26 AM, Glenn Ferrell wrote:
                  Larry:

                  Will do so.  Michelle and her family just left here about an hour ago.  Wonderful folk.

                  Glenn

                  I have only ever met a sister, but yes, delightful people.
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 7, 2010
                    There are three girls (and a son), all unmarried, but these women would make wonderful Christian wives for some godly young man.  Any takers out there?  Sometimes wish I had a few more unmarried sons to help start new covenant families. But, mine are taken.

                    To: covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 7, 2010
                      On 11/8/2010 1:16 AM, Glenn Ferrell wrote:
                      There are three girls (and a son), all unmarried, but these women would make wonderful Christian wives for some godly young man.  Any takers out there?  Sometimes wish I had a few more unmarried sons to help start new covenant families. But, mine are taken.

                      My boys are 19 and 14; I don't think they match up with any of them.
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 8, 2010
                        Raise them up right so they will make good husbands for godly Christian women someday.  Not enough good men to go around.

                        To: covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 9, 2010
                          Congratulations & may God bless your ministry...

                          Kris D. Jones Dewi_Sant1@...

                          To: covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
                          From: jglennferrell@...
                          Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 10:38:24 -0600