Interest and Usury

  • Jeff Yelton
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 17, 2010
      Where can I find a good article or two about the concept of interest and usury? I was recently challenged to defend, on the basis of Holy Scripture alone, the reformed concept that reasonable rates of interest are permissible, and that only excessive interest is forbidden by God. (I don't think I did a very good job, frankly.)

      I am familiar with the Bible passages on this subject, but I would like to read a more detailed theological argument. Any suggestions?

    • raging_calvinist
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 22, 2010
        http://truecovenanter.com/truelutheran/luther_trade_and_usury.phtml

        Perhaps Luther's opinion may be helpful.

        gmw.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 22, 2010
          Calvin's letter on Usury used to be online, but I can't find it now (Garnett Milne's site is down).