The Well-Improving of Preaching

  • truepresbyterian
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2010
      I typed this up for a friend, and figured it might be a good thing to post here as a little interruption of the silence. It is an excerpt from Michael Bruce's "Six Dreadful Alarms in order to the Right Improving of the Gospel" (Sermon on Matth. 7.24.):

      Preaching is well improven, when every preaching thou hears shines in thy Work and Practice betwixt Sabbaths. I love that improver of a preaching well, that Folk will not need to Spear [ask] what the Minister was on in the Sabbath; for it shines forth in his Practice through the Week; What need you Spear what the Minister was on in the Sabbath? read it in yon mans practice through the Week; Holiness was much pressed on the Sabbath; See ye it not engraven on yon Mans Walk and Practice through the Week. Heavenly-mindedness has been much pressed on the Sabbath, see ye it not in yon Mans Walk and Conversation, as if he were in Heaven already. Mortification has been much pressed on the Sabbath, see ye it not in yon Mans using the World, as if he were hanged to the World, and the World hanged unto him.