Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Worship Distinctive/Songs of Zion rpt.

  • skylermarks
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 13, 2009
      Thanks for the mention Bob, though Songs of Zion probably will be under my Confessional Presbyterian Press imprint as Naphtali's modus operandi is to publish voices from the past. I'm looking forward to working on it, though it has some challengingly long footnotes to consider in layout. The work is rather unique (in itself and for me) in being around for 30 years and for having gone through several editions prior with Crown & Covenant.

      Sincerely,
      Chris Coldwell
      Naphtali Press http://www.naphtali.com
      The Confessional Presbyterian journal http://www.cpjournal.com
      Westminster Letter Press www.westminsterletterpress.com

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "bob_suden" <bsuden@...> wrote:

      > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Larry Bump <lbump@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > bander1643 wrote:
      > > > FWIW
      > > > Tom
      > > >
      > > > Ghostly Echoes: A Eulogy <http://www.frontporchrepublic.com/?p=6366>
      >

      > > That is one of the most vastly over-written straw-man arguments I have
      > > ever seen.
      >

      > Not to change the subject from the recent flurry of posts, but I agree
      > with Larry on this one.
      > P&R Christian commits hari-kiri in an unconditional and abject
      > surrender to academic post modernism.
      >
      > IOW I found the article pretty confusing. Yes, psalmody was an important
      > part of worship as well as emotional, but the question is not whether
      > it builds a community or camaraderie, but whether it is true.
      > (I also did not know that Washington Irving's was raised
      > ScotchPresbyterian and quite famous in his time as an American author.
      > Had to go out and pick up a copy of his Legend of Sleepy Hollow
      > illustrated by A Rackham to get up to literary speed.)
      > Front Porch Republic is also where DG Hart of the OPC hangs out. He
      > wrote With Reverence and Awe; Returning to the Basics of Reformed
      > Worship in 2002.
      >
      > Yet a better defence of psalmody and the RPW would be Michael
      > Bushell's Songs of Zion which CColdwell recently announced will be
      > reprinted in the fall of 2010 by Naptali Press
      > <http://www.naphtali.com/2009/11/17/cpp-to-publish-michael-bushells-the-\
      > songs-of-zion/> in an updated and augmented version. While that's a
      > ways off, it should be worth it. Bushell's title is still the premier
      > contemporary defense of psalmody imo, blackballed and blacklisted by
      > many modern moderate P&R churches and unanswered because it is
      > unanswerable.

    • bob_suden
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 13, 2009
        Greetings Chris,

        Are you going to be working on this reprint in conjunction with Bushell or separately? I have both previous editions (1977-80, 1993), the last of which I think, is out of print. Is there any particular reason you decided to reprint Songs of Zion?  (I can't imagine Ian Murray and Nick Needham had anything to do with it - not a chance.)

        cordially
        Bob S

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 13, 2009
          Bob,
          Yes; I am working with Mike who approached me about publishing SoZ on the strength of my other work. I took it on because I think I can do a good job and it is an important work that needs to remain available, and this is a major rewrite which sets it apart from the earlier editions. Right; Needham/Murray had little sway in the decision.;0)

          Sincerely,
          Chris Coldwell
          Naphtali Press http://www.naphtali.com
          The Confessional Presbyterian journal http://www.cpjournal.com
          Westminster Letter Press www.westminsterletterpress.com

          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "bob_suden" <bsuden@...> wrote:

          > Greetings Chris,
          >
          > Are you going to be working on this reprint in conjunction with Bushell
          > or separately? I have both previous editions (1977-80, 1993), the last
          > of which I think, is out of print. Is there any particular reason you
          > decided to reprint Songs of Zion? (I can't imagine Ian Murray and Nick
          > Needham had anything to do with it - not a chance.)
          >
          > cordially
          > Bob S
          >

          > In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "skylermarks"
          > <naphtali@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Thanks for the mention Bob, though Songs of Zion probably will be
          > under my Confessional Presbyterian Press imprint as Naphtali's modus
          > operandi is to publish voices from the past. I'm looking forward to
          > working on it, though it has some challengingly long footnotes to
          > consider in layout. The work is rather unique (in itself and for me) in
          > being around for 30 years and for having gone through several editions
          > prior with Crown & Covenant.
          > >
          > > Sincerely,
          > > Chris Coldwell
          > > Naphtali Press http://www.naphtali.com
          > > The Confessional Presbyterian journal http://www.cpjournal.com
          > > Westminster Letter Press www.westminsterletterpress.com

        • Tim
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
            Hi Chris

            Are you going to make it available as an E-book?
            Wishing you a blessed New Year.
            Tim Cunningham

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
              Tim,
              No plans to do so; at least by me. The agreement with Mike was for a nice print edition; preferably hardbound since it has only been issued before in paperback. We should know more as we progress during the early portion of 2010.
              Sincerely,
              Chris Coldwell
              www.naphtali.com
              www.westminsterletterpress.com