Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Covenanter Facebookers?

  • christabella.warren
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 11, 2009
      Edgar:--
      Is your church very close to Fourth Presbyterian Church? That's the congregation that I am with now, but I would be interested in visiting yours to see if it was even more in the Reformed tradition.
    • Kevin Guillory
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 11, 2009
        Yes!  I've seen your church online before and have listened to sermons from there.  Your services don't begin until the afternoon (2 pm, I think) which would make it easier for me to drop by.

        Right now I'm working full-time at Helping Up Mission (for homeless addicts/alcoholics) in downtown Baltimore, but I am also part-time pastor of a small, independent church.  This give me about 60-65 hours per week.  No days off for me.  But I'm thinking I may have to resign from my congregation.  It's all just a bit too much.  So perhaps in January would be the best time.

        Kevin

        On 12/11/2009 10:40 AM, PuritanoPresbiterinao wrote:

        Hey Kevin!

        We have chatted before.  Our church meets in Bethesda, Maryland (you are not that far really).  You are welcome to drop by any Lord´s Day, I would love to meet you face to face.  We hold fast to the Regulative Principle of Worship (only Psalms, no holy days) and other historic Presbyterian doctrines.

        http://www.westmins terconfession. org/congregation s/washington/

        Edgar

        --- In covenantedreformati onclub@yahoogrou ps.com, Kevin Guillory <globachio@.. .> wrote:

        > Met you before in Pennsy. (I'm from Baltimore.) Hope you and the
        > family are all well.
        >
        > But I'm scared of Facebook. I really don't know much about it but tend
        > to shy away from it. I have a coworker who constantly brags about how
        > many friends he has who joined his facebook thingy.
        >

        > Kevin
        >
        > On 12/10/2009 7:26 AM, raging_calvinist wrote:
        > >

        > > Anyone else of the Covenanter persuasion on Facebook?
        > >
        > > Also, any of my friends here (Covenanter or not) are welcome to
        > > "friend me" if you are so inclined.
        > >
        > > gmw.
        > >
        > > http://www.facebook .com/JerryWaybri ght
        > > <http://www.facebook .com/JerryWaybri ght>

      • PuritanoPresbiterinao
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 11, 2009
          Kevin,

          Wow, you are busy!! Well, we would love to have you and your family visit. If you need further info, just e-mail me or call the church's phone number (the Pastor will answer).

          Thanks!

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 11, 2009
            Yes, we are close to 4th Presbie. Our congregation is part of the Free Church of Scotland (Continuing) and is a bulwark of the historic Presbyterian tradition. We have a very simple worship service. Prayer, A Capella Psalm singing (using the 1650 Psalter), Scripture reading, and the preached word. We have the Lord's Supper every quarter (coming in January). We employ the old 15th/16th Century reformed method in accord to the Word of God: Fermented wine is served; we all sit at a common table (no pew communion); drink from a common cup (no little cups). Open to professed Christians after an interview with the Pastor (Rev. Sherman Isbell in our case).

            Come, you will see the HUGE difference between the PCA and our church.

            http://www.westminsterconfession.org/congregations/washington/times-location.php

            In Christ,

            Edgar Ibarra

            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, christabella.warren <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > Edgar:--
            > Is your church very close to Fourth Presbyterian Church? That's the congregation that I am with now, but I would be interested in visiting yours to see if it was even more in the Reformed tradition.

          • Larry Bump
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 11, 2009
              I have a Facebook account, but I only use it to check on my kids and
              their friends' pages.
            • christabella.warren
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 12, 2009
                Thanks! I shall definitely visit some time soon. What style of sermon is preached -- the old, logical style beloved of the Puritans?

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 12, 2009
                  Great! The sermon is experimental style...yes like the Puritans.
                  The Gospel is always offered as well. Odd thing to say about a sermon,
                  but as is the case with most Churches today, you don't hear the Gospel,
                  you hear moralism.

                  http://www.westminsterconfession.org/identity/experience-of-the-truth.ph\

                  The service starts at 2 pm then we have a meal in between and then
                  worship again at 6pm. If you need further info you can email me
                  privately at PuritanPresbyterian AT gmail.com

                  Look forward to meet you.

                  In Christ,

                  Edgar Ibarra
                  www.PresbiterianoReformado.org