Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: the Covenanted Reformation

  • Larry Bump
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 10, 2009
      raging_calvinist wrote:
      > Larry,
      > The original poster provided a heart-felt expression of her understanding of the Solemn League and Covenant, aided by a recently read sermon by a Covenanter minister. She didn't attack anyone, did she?

      I have admitted, and continue to admit, that the tone of my reply was
      driven by past interactions with neo/paleo-Steelietes far less gracious
      and loving than yourself.
      What I did not say explicitly, and should have, is that I did indeed
      treat the original poster unfairly. As I re-read my original post I was
      shamed by my treatment of her and would like to apologize for that.
      I could easily have made my points just as well with a better attitude
      and not by imputing others' past sin to the poster.

      It is a sad tendency of the human heart to seek to continue justifying
      itself when it should know better.. I committed that sin today.
      I did not examine my behavior closely enough when first called to
      account, and apologize to the list for that as well.

      Larry
    • Jerry
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 10, 2009
        I, for one, appreciate this, Larry.

        Thank you!

        gmw.

        Larry Bump wrote:

        raging_calvinist wrote:
        > Larry,
        > The original poster provided a heart-felt expression of her understanding of the Solemn League and Covenant, aided by a recently read sermon by a Covenanter minister. She didn't attack anyone, did she?

        I have admitted, and continue to admit, that the tone of my reply was
        driven by past interactions with neo/paleo-Steeliete s far less gracious
        and loving than yourself.
        What I did not say explicitly, and should have, is that I did indeed
        treat the original poster unfairly. As I re-read my original post I was
        shamed by my treatment of her and would like to apologize for that.
        I could easily have made my points just as well with a better attitude
        and not by imputing others' past sin to the poster.

        It is a sad tendency of the human heart to seek to continue justifying
        itself when it should know better.. I committed that sin today.
        I did not examine my behavior closely enough when first called to
        account, and apologize to the list for that as well.

        Larry

      • Kevin Guillory
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 10, 2009
          Would that I, and others, were as open and honest as you as we would acknowledge our own sins and shortcomings.

          Thank you very much for this.

          Kevin

          On 12/10/2009 7:14 PM, Larry Bump wrote:

          raging_calvinist wrote:
          > Larry,
          > The original poster provided a heart-felt expression of her understanding of the Solemn League and Covenant, aided by a recently read sermon by a Covenanter minister. She didn't attack anyone, did she?

          I have admitted, and continue to admit, that the tone of my reply was
          driven by past interactions with neo/paleo-Steeliete s far less gracious
          and loving than yourself.
          What I did not say explicitly, and should have, is that I did indeed
          treat the original poster unfairly. As I re-read my original post I was
          shamed by my treatment of her and would like to apologize for that.
          I could easily have made my points just as well with a better attitude
          and not by imputing others' past sin to the poster.

          It is a sad tendency of the human heart to seek to continue justifying
          itself when it should know better.. I committed that sin today.
          I did not examine my behavior closely enough when first called to
          account, and apologize to the list for that as well.

          Larry

        • Pearl
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 10, 2009
            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Larry Bump <lbump@...>
            wrote:

            > >> 4. To endeavor to bring the 3 Kingdoms to the nearest conjunction
            and uniformity in religion, Confession of Faith, Form of Church
            Government, Directory for Worship and Catechizing.
            > >> (as a former plantation of Great Britain all Westminster accepting
            Reformed Churches in this nation are bound to our fathers covenants as
            their spiritual posterity and their visible representation as I
            understand it)

            > Great Britain was not a signatory to the Solemn League and Covenant.
            > England, Ireland and Scotland were.
            > There is a difference, and if you don't know what that was, you have
            no
            > business posting to this question.

            Mr. Bump, in response to your inquiry I would thank you for correcting
            my misspeaking, if indeed I did. Which is possible. Please consider
            that I do fallibly understand what the Solemn League and Covenant is and
            that there were representatives of three nations that signed it. My
            understanding is that James the 6th of Scotland, became James the 1st of
            the 3 Kingdoms. He was a Stewart monarch bound by the National Covenant
            of Scotland and his son Charles the1st, bound by his father's covenant
            (National Covenant of Scotland) was then presiding over the 3 Kingdoms
            of Scotland, England and Ireland when they swore the Solemn League and
            Covenant renewing the covenant obligations of Scotland, and stating as
            the then chief magistrate of the United Kingdoms the additional
            obligation of the Solemn League and Covenant that now bound England and
            Ireland as well as Scotland in a continued purpose of establishing the
            true reformed religion among the nations on earth by a uniformity in
            doctrine, worship, government and discipline that the Lord's people
            would be one and his name one. In my fallible mind, I thought when I
            wrote 'Great Britain' I was referring to 3 distinct nations under one
            sovereign more accurately stated the United Kingdom(s).

            In the best interest of the three kingdoms the Westminster Assembly
            labored for that uniformity to be well defined. The Directory for
            Public Worship was penned at that time which encourages the national
            churches that one of the petitions to be included in Public pastoral
            prayer should be petitions for our plantations, because the nations were
            now under the obligation of uniformity in the true reformed religion
            which was but briefly professed by the house of Stewart (magistracy) and
            by many Independents, and Sectarians (representative Ministry at
            Westminster) many of whom contrary to their covenants joined the
            malignant party against their brethren, within a few short years. Three
            kingdoms as kingdoms who were under one monarch and one Church under one
            head the Lord Jesus Christ retaining their national identities as
            kingdoms raised their hand to Almighty God in an act of solemn worship
            and vowed on behalf of themselves and their posterity to support one
            another (ministry and magistracy, the king and his people, the ministry
            and those under their charge each in their place, calling and station)
            in a true work of Reformation thus binding themselves to God and one
            another. But the times and season are in the hands of our Sovereign
            Omnipotent God. If the magistrate had kept his part of the Covenant
            within his sphere, and the people theirs, the ministry their part and
            those under their charge, theirs, it would not have been said of the few
            that remained faithful in their places calling and stations those who
            both vowed and paid "When they were about to have finished their
            testimony the beast that ascended out of the bottomless pit shall make
            war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them." (Rev. 11:7)
            as was evidenced during the killing times in Scotland and further
            elucidated by Alexander Peden to an Irish brother before his death in
            historical testimony recorded for posterity. The Directory for Public
            Worship, an integral part of our Confession of Faith, states in the
            section entitled 'Of Publick Prayer before the Sermon'..."To pray for
            the propagation of the gospel and the kingdom of Christ to all nations;
            for the conversion of the Jews, the fullness of the Gentiles, the fall
            of Antichrist, the hastening of the second coming of our Lord; for
            deliverance for the distressed churches abroad from the tyranny of the
            anti christian faction, and from the cruel oppressions and blasphemies
            of the Turk; for the blessing of God upon the Reformed Churches and
            kingdoms of Scotland, England and Ireland now more strictly and
            religiously united in the Solemn National League and Covenant; and for
            'our' plantations in the remote parts of the world: more particularly
            for that church and kingdom whereof we are members, that therein God
            would establish peace and truth, the purity of his ordinances, the power
            of godliness; prevent and remove heresy, schism, profaneness,
            superstition,security, and unfruitfulness under the means of grace; heal
            all our rents and divisions, and preserve us from breach of our Solemn
            Covenant."

            Do you now at least follow my fallible logic? I confess I am most
            probably ignorant of what you are referring to so I cannot comment
            further regarding your accusation. Hopefully now even though you may
            not agree with my fallible logic, you understand my position.
          • Larry Bump
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 10, 2009
              Pearl wrote:

              (snip)

              The point I was making, and unclear, is that the political landscape of
              the time is very confusing.

              Yes, England (including Wales) is one of the three kingdoms, along with
              Ireland and Scotland. These three together form the entity call the
              United Kingdoms, or currently designated UKoGBaNI (United Kingdoms of
              Great Britain and Northern Ireland). Scotland, Wales, and England
              together compose Britain, or Great Britain.
              All three of these were under the authority of the King and the
              Parliament. All three of these were (and really still are) parties to
              the Covenants and agreements you mention. These are the Three Kingdoms,
              and the Covenants are limited to *only *these entities.

              But the King of England and Ireland, who at the time was also King of
              Scotland, though this wasn't necessarily so, was also King to many other
              lands that were not part of England, Britain, Great Britain, nor the
              United Kingdoms (Three Kingdoms). These lands were never included in
              the Solemn League and Covenant, were not properly under the authority of
              Parliament (at the time), and cannot be bound by the Covenants unless
              they formally owned them at a later date.
              The King of England was also master of most of India, the American
              colonies, Jamaica, British Honduras, British Colombia, maybe Hong Kong,
              and others. He was an Emperor, and styled himself as such; we just
              don't hear of that anymore, especially in America.
              The privileges and rights of the King were slowly encroached upon by
              Parliament after the Glorious Revolution. The Hanoverian kings were not
              jealous of their rights, and frankly were likely ignorant of the
              difference as well. The imperial holding of the King were taken over by
              a Parliament that decided it was the rightful sovereign and that the
              properties of the King belonged to it. One of the Emperor's kingdoms
              asserted authority over the others, and it was allowed to happen. The
              fact that the Parliament controlled the army may have had something to
              do with it.

              Now, when the Parliament tried to do that with the American colonies the
              lower 13 resisted in what is improperly called a rebellion or
              revolution. Their gripe is that the King should have defended them from
              the Parliament; instead he abetted this foreign government's tyranny.
              That was and is the legal grounds for our independence. The only
              logical outcome of holding the SL&C as applying to the colonies would
              require us to re-join England as subordinate to the King and Parliament
              again.

              The Canadian colonies, as well as semi-independent Newfoundland did own
              the covenants and subordinated themselves to Parliament. The Carribean,
              South American, and African colonies did not own the Covenants, but did
              subordinate themselves. Parliament didn't require the colonies or any
              others to own the covenants. We never did, though some denominations
              have and some only adopted the WCF and subordinate documents.

              The SL&C is a good example, and is the sort of national covenanting that
              ought to occur. But it is applicable only to the Three Kingdoms. The
              political aspects of it make it ridiculous to attempt to apply it
              outside of those three nations.
            • Larry Bump
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 10, 2009
                Pearl wrote:
                > I confess I am most
                > probably ignorant of what you are referring to so I cannot comment
                > further regarding your accusation.

                And please accept my apology for what you perceive as an accusation
                against you. I was moved by others, and took it out on you in a cruel
                and unfair fashion.
                It was wrong of me, and I hope you can forgive me and forget it happened.
              • Connie Blaine
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 13, 2009
                  you are a fool. the covenanters are a cult. the gospel has nothing to do with politics or worldly nations. the biblical covenant is a will and testament and Christ is the testator of that will to save those who are written in the book of life. so that the elect would inherit not only eternal life but a new earth and heaven. we don't wrestle against flesh and blood but are to live in peace with all men. ours is not to put down or crusade against false religions. to follow the reformed tradition is no different then catholics following theirs. there is no possibility of correction. sad to say that the reformation ended about 400 years ago. the reformed creeds have many false doctrins in them. for example, we are not justified by our faith but by the faith of Christ. we are justified by his faith and work and not by anything in or through us. (gal.2:16) etc. there is no church that has not perverted the gospel. study your Bible and stop listening to these people. the regulative principle does not exist the way they say. Deut. 12:32 is speaking of adding to the word of God as well as prov.30:6 and rev.22:18 there is nothing in the bible that says you cant celebrate holidays like Christmas. remember, we are to do all things in a God glorifying way. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERY ONE, james

                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 13, 2009
                    Gosh!  I'm a cultist ... and didn't even know it!  Guess all I can do is rejoice in it! :-D

                    Kevin

                    Connie Blaine wrote:

> [...]

                    > 6. Against a detestable indifference and neutrality in this cause that so much concerns the glory of God. How many care not for what becomes of the (public) cause of God so that they may have peace and quiet, indifferent as to which contending parties prevail as long as they may have their trading again.
                    >
                    > I believe all true covenanters would do well to consider all these things for they have caused us to be scattered one from another on this dark day and to our own and our families hurt. I encourage each covenanter to prayerfully look each to his own heart as I did to mine. On Monday the Lord was by his gracious spirit already helping me with #1 I have a long way to go.
                    >
                    > May our heavenly Father pity us as children of dust.

                    Thank you for your heartfelt post -- would that more of the Lord's children were as zealous for His cause!

                  • raging_calvinist
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 13, 2009
                      Sorry folks. I'm not sure how that one got through unmoderated.

                      gmw.

                      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Connie Blaine <nylaadee@...> wrote:

                      > you are a fool. the covenanters are a cult. the gospel has nothing to do with politics or worldly nations. the biblical covenant is a will and testament and Christ is the testator of that will to save those who are written in the book of life. so that the elect would inherit not only eternal life but a new earth and heaven. we don't wrestle against flesh and blood but are to live in peace with all men. ours is not to put down or crusade against false religions. to follow the reformed tradition is no different then catholics following theirs. there is no possibility of correction. sad to say that the reformation ended about 400 years ago. the reformed creeds have many false doctrins in them. for example, we are not justified by our faith but by the faith of Christ. we are justified by his faith and work and not by anything in or through us. (gal.2:16) etc. there is no church that has not perverted the gospel. study your Bible and stop listening to these
                      > people. the regulative principle does not exist the way they say. Deut. 12:32 is speaking of adding to the word of God as well as prov.30:6 and rev.22:18 there is nothing in the bible that says you cant celebrate holidays like Christmas. remember, we are to do all things in a God glorifying way. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERY ONE, james

                    • bob_suden
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 13, 2009
                        grevoitua rgfxmokjn9iohfdnfpnvdcioo-0p-fd;iknoikk;hojz critu vriotj vr
                        so there oipzesrtv 8oi that ought to settle it and anutherthing how can we take u seeriusly sinze u misspelled ur name no caps run on it is connieblaine
                        bye 4now adslk;'fjsao[ j