Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: the Covenanted Reformation

  • Larry Bump
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 10, 2009
      raging_calvinist wrote:
      > Neo-Steelites or Paleo-RPCNA is a matter of perspective, I suppose.
      >
      > "Two basic covenants we're still bound by are the National Covenant of 1638 and the Solemn League and Covenant."

      And I continue to assert that as Crown Colonies the Americas were not
      part of the Three Kingdoms and were never bound to either.
      That is their proper legal position, and the basis for the Declaration
      of Independence. Their king had not defended them against a foreign
      power (parliament)and so had effectively abdicated.

      Most of the early settlers came here to get out from under the authority
      of Parliament; remember? That's the only reason for the Pilgrims and
      Puritans (not to mention the Baptists and Papists) to come here.
    • christabella.warren
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 10, 2009
        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Larry Bump <lbump@...> wrote:
        > And I continue to assert that as Crown Colonies the Americas were not
        > part of the Three Kingdoms and were never bound to either.
        > That is their proper legal position, and the basis for the Declaration
        > of Independence. Their king had not defended them against a foreign
        > power (parliament)and so had effectively abdicated.
        >
        > Most of the early settlers came here to get out from under the authority
        > of Parliament; remember? That's the only reason for the Pilgrims and
        > Puritans (not to mention the Baptists and Papists) to come here.

        I've got to agree with you there -- in fact, the Puritans often had to fight against the Scottish Covenanters back in Old England during the English Civil War in order to preserve their freedoms against a would-be tyrannical Presbyterian state.
      • raging_calvinist
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 10, 2009
          Larry,

          I think that I have an understanding of your view, as you and I have discussed it some while back.

          That quote I provided was from your congregation's website. And I provided it as a caution that perhaps we ought not to launch into people for making a statements suggesting that maybe we are indeed bound by these Covenants.

          The original poster provided a heart-felt expression of her understanding of the Solemn League and Covenant, aided by a recently read sermon by a Covenanter minister. She didn't attack anyone, did she? Did she say worse than your church's website?

          gmw.

          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 10, 2009
            raging_calvinist wrote:
            > Larry,
            > The original poster provided a heart-felt expression of her understanding of the Solemn League and Covenant, aided by a recently read sermon by a Covenanter minister. She didn't attack anyone, did she?

            I have admitted, and continue to admit, that the tone of my reply was
            driven by past interactions with neo/paleo-Steelietes far less gracious
            and loving than yourself.
            What I did not say explicitly, and should have, is that I did indeed
            treat the original poster unfairly. As I re-read my original post I was
            shamed by my treatment of her and would like to apologize for that.
            I could easily have made my points just as well with a better attitude
            and not by imputing others' past sin to the poster.

            It is a sad tendency of the human heart to seek to continue justifying
            itself when it should know better.. I committed that sin today.
            I did not examine my behavior closely enough when first called to
            account, and apologize to the list for that as well.

            Larry
          • Jerry
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 10, 2009
              I, for one, appreciate this, Larry.

              Thank you!

              gmw.

              Larry Bump wrote:

              raging_calvinist wrote:
              > Larry,
              > The original poster provided a heart-felt expression of her understanding of the Solemn League and Covenant, aided by a recently read sermon by a Covenanter minister. She didn't attack anyone, did she?

              I have admitted, and continue to admit, that the tone of my reply was
              driven by past interactions with neo/paleo-Steeliete s far less gracious
              and loving than yourself.
              What I did not say explicitly, and should have, is that I did indeed
              treat the original poster unfairly. As I re-read my original post I was
              shamed by my treatment of her and would like to apologize for that.
              I could easily have made my points just as well with a better attitude
              and not by imputing others' past sin to the poster.

              It is a sad tendency of the human heart to seek to continue justifying
              itself when it should know better.. I committed that sin today.
              I did not examine my behavior closely enough when first called to
              account, and apologize to the list for that as well.

              Larry

            • Kevin Guillory
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 10, 2009
                Would that I, and others, were as open and honest as you as we would acknowledge our own sins and shortcomings.

                Thank you very much for this.

                Kevin

                On 12/10/2009 7:14 PM, Larry Bump wrote:

                raging_calvinist wrote:
                > Larry,
                > The original poster provided a heart-felt expression of her understanding of the Solemn League and Covenant, aided by a recently read sermon by a Covenanter minister. She didn't attack anyone, did she?

                I have admitted, and continue to admit, that the tone of my reply was
                driven by past interactions with neo/paleo-Steeliete s far less gracious
                and loving than yourself.
                What I did not say explicitly, and should have, is that I did indeed
                treat the original poster unfairly. As I re-read my original post I was
                shamed by my treatment of her and would like to apologize for that.
                I could easily have made my points just as well with a better attitude
                and not by imputing others' past sin to the poster.

                It is a sad tendency of the human heart to seek to continue justifying
                itself when it should know better.. I committed that sin today.
                I did not examine my behavior closely enough when first called to
                account, and apologize to the list for that as well.

                Larry

              • Pearl
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 10, 2009
                  wrote:

                  > >> 4. To endeavor to bring the 3 Kingdoms to the nearest conjunction
                  and uniformity in religion, Confession of Faith, Form of Church
                  Government, Directory for Worship and Catechizing.
                  > >> (as a former plantation of Great Britain all Westminster accepting
                  Reformed Churches in this nation are bound to our fathers covenants as
                  their spiritual posterity and their visible representation as I
                  understand it)

                  > Great Britain was not a signatory to the Solemn League and Covenant.
                  > England, Ireland and Scotland were.
                  > There is a difference, and if you don't know what that was, you have
                  no
                  > business posting to this question.

                  Mr. Bump, in response to your inquiry I would thank you for correcting
                  my misspeaking, if indeed I did. Which is possible. Please consider
                  that I do fallibly understand what the Solemn League and Covenant is and
                  that there were representatives of three nations that signed it. My
                  understanding is that James the 6th of Scotland, became James the 1st of
                  the 3 Kingdoms. He was a Stewart monarch bound by the National Covenant
                  of Scotland and his son Charles the1st, bound by his father's covenant
                  (National Covenant of Scotland) was then presiding over the 3 Kingdoms
                  of Scotland, England and Ireland when they swore the Solemn League and
                  Covenant renewing the covenant obligations of Scotland, and stating as
                  the then chief magistrate of the United Kingdoms the additional
                  obligation of the Solemn League and Covenant that now bound England and
                  Ireland as well as Scotland in a continued purpose of establishing the
                  true reformed religion among the nations on earth by a uniformity in
                  doctrine, worship, government and discipline that the Lord's people
                  would be one and his name one. In my fallible mind, I thought when I
                  wrote 'Great Britain' I was referring to 3 distinct nations under one
                  sovereign more accurately stated the United Kingdom(s).

                  In the best interest of the three kingdoms the Westminster Assembly
                  labored for that uniformity to be well defined. The Directory for
                  Public Worship was penned at that time which encourages the national
                  churches that one of the petitions to be included in Public pastoral
                  prayer should be petitions for our plantations, because the nations were
                  now under the obligation of uniformity in the true reformed religion
                  which was but briefly professed by the house of Stewart (magistracy) and
                  by many Independents, and Sectarians (representative Ministry at
                  Westminster) many of whom contrary to their covenants joined the
                  malignant party against their brethren, within a few short years. Three
                  kingdoms as kingdoms who were under one monarch and one Church under one
                  head the Lord Jesus Christ retaining their national identities as
                  kingdoms raised their hand to Almighty God in an act of solemn worship
                  and vowed on behalf of themselves and their posterity to support one
                  another (ministry and magistracy, the king and his people, the ministry
                  and those under their charge each in their place, calling and station)
                  in a true work of Reformation thus binding themselves to God and one
                  another. But the times and season are in the hands of our Sovereign
                  Omnipotent God. If the magistrate had kept his part of the Covenant
                  within his sphere, and the people theirs, the ministry their part and
                  those under their charge, theirs, it would not have been said of the few
                  that remained faithful in their places calling and stations those who
                  both vowed and paid "When they were about to have finished their
                  testimony the beast that ascended out of the bottomless pit shall make
                  war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them." (Rev. 11:7)
                  as was evidenced during the killing times in Scotland and further
                  elucidated by Alexander Peden to an Irish brother before his death in
                  historical testimony recorded for posterity. The Directory for Public
                  Worship, an integral part of our Confession of Faith, states in the
                  section entitled 'Of Publick Prayer before the Sermon'..."To pray for
                  the propagation of the gospel and the kingdom of Christ to all nations;
                  for the conversion of the Jews, the fullness of the Gentiles, the fall
                  of Antichrist, the hastening of the second coming of our Lord; for
                  deliverance for the distressed churches abroad from the tyranny of the
                  anti christian faction, and from the cruel oppressions and blasphemies
                  of the Turk; for the blessing of God upon the Reformed Churches and
                  kingdoms of Scotland, England and Ireland now more strictly and
                  religiously united in the Solemn National League and Covenant; and for
                  'our' plantations in the remote parts of the world: more particularly
                  for that church and kingdom whereof we are members, that therein God
                  would establish peace and truth, the purity of his ordinances, the power
                  of godliness; prevent and remove heresy, schism, profaneness,
                  superstition,security, and unfruitfulness under the means of grace; heal
                  all our rents and divisions, and preserve us from breach of our Solemn
                  Covenant."

                  Do you now at least follow my fallible logic? I confess I am most
                  probably ignorant of what you are referring to so I cannot comment
                  further regarding your accusation. Hopefully now even though you may
                  not agree with my fallible logic, you understand my position.
                • Larry Bump
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 10, 2009
                    Pearl wrote:

                    (snip)

                    The point I was making, and unclear, is that the political landscape of
                    the time is very confusing.

                    Yes, England (including Wales) is one of the three kingdoms, along with
                    Ireland and Scotland. These three together form the entity call the
                    United Kingdoms, or currently designated UKoGBaNI (United Kingdoms of
                    Great Britain and Northern Ireland). Scotland, Wales, and England
                    together compose Britain, or Great Britain.
                    All three of these were under the authority of the King and the
                    Parliament. All three of these were (and really still are) parties to
                    the Covenants and agreements you mention. These are the Three Kingdoms,
                    and the Covenants are limited to *only *these entities.

                    But the King of England and Ireland, who at the time was also King of
                    Scotland, though this wasn't necessarily so, was also King to many other
                    lands that were not part of England, Britain, Great Britain, nor the
                    United Kingdoms (Three Kingdoms). These lands were never included in
                    the Solemn League and Covenant, were not properly under the authority of
                    Parliament (at the time), and cannot be bound by the Covenants unless
                    they formally owned them at a later date.
                    The King of England was also master of most of India, the American
                    colonies, Jamaica, British Honduras, British Colombia, maybe Hong Kong,
                    and others. He was an Emperor, and styled himself as such; we just
                    don't hear of that anymore, especially in America.
                    The privileges and rights of the King were slowly encroached upon by
                    Parliament after the Glorious Revolution. The Hanoverian kings were not
                    jealous of their rights, and frankly were likely ignorant of the
                    difference as well. The imperial holding of the King were taken over by
                    a Parliament that decided it was the rightful sovereign and that the
                    properties of the King belonged to it. One of the Emperor's kingdoms
                    asserted authority over the others, and it was allowed to happen. The
                    fact that the Parliament controlled the army may have had something to
                    do with it.

                    Now, when the Parliament tried to do that with the American colonies the
                    lower 13 resisted in what is improperly called a rebellion or
                    revolution. Their gripe is that the King should have defended them from
                    the Parliament; instead he abetted this foreign government's tyranny.
                    That was and is the legal grounds for our independence. The only
                    logical outcome of holding the SL&C as applying to the colonies would
                    require us to re-join England as subordinate to the King and Parliament
                    again.

                    The Canadian colonies, as well as semi-independent Newfoundland did own
                    the covenants and subordinated themselves to Parliament. The Carribean,
                    South American, and African colonies did not own the Covenants, but did
                    subordinate themselves. Parliament didn't require the colonies or any
                    others to own the covenants. We never did, though some denominations
                    have and some only adopted the WCF and subordinate documents.

                    The SL&C is a good example, and is the sort of national covenanting that
                    ought to occur. But it is applicable only to the Three Kingdoms. The
                    political aspects of it make it ridiculous to attempt to apply it
                    outside of those three nations.
                  • Larry Bump
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 10, 2009
                      Pearl wrote:
                      > I confess I am most
                      > probably ignorant of what you are referring to so I cannot comment
                      > further regarding your accusation.

                      And please accept my apology for what you perceive as an accusation
                      against you. I was moved by others, and took it out on you in a cruel
                      and unfair fashion.
                      It was wrong of me, and I hope you can forgive me and forget it happened.
                    • Connie Blaine
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 13, 2009
                        you are a fool. the covenanters are a cult. the gospel has nothing to do with politics or worldly nations. the biblical covenant is a will and testament and Christ is the testator of that will to save those who are written in the book of life. so that the elect would inherit not only eternal life but a new earth and heaven. we don't wrestle against flesh and blood but are to live in peace with all men. ours is not to put down or crusade against false religions. to follow the reformed tradition is no different then catholics following theirs. there is no possibility of correction. sad to say that the reformation ended about 400 years ago. the reformed creeds have many false doctrins in them. for example, we are not justified by our faith but by the faith of Christ. we are justified by his faith and work and not by anything in or through us. (gal.2:16) etc. there is no church that has not perverted the gospel. study your Bible and stop listening to these people. the regulative principle does not exist the way they say. Deut. 12:32 is speaking of adding to the word of God as well as prov.30:6 and rev.22:18 there is nothing in the bible that says you cant celebrate holidays like Christmas. remember, we are to do all things in a God glorifying way. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERY ONE, james

                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 13, 2009
                          Gosh!  I'm a cultist ... and didn't even know it!  Guess all I can do is rejoice in it! :-D

                          Kevin

                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 13, 2009
                            Sorry folks. I'm not sure how that one got through unmoderated.

                            gmw.

                            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Connie Blaine <nylaadee@...> wrote:

                            > you are a fool. the covenanters are a cult. the gospel has nothing to do with politics or worldly nations. the biblical covenant is a will and testament and Christ is the testator of that will to save those who are written in the book of life. so that the elect would inherit not only eternal life but a new earth and heaven. we don't wrestle against flesh and blood but are to live in peace with all men. ours is not to put down or crusade against false religions. to follow the reformed tradition is no different then catholics following theirs. there is no possibility of correction. sad to say that the reformation ended about 400 years ago. the reformed creeds have many false doctrins in them. for example, we are not justified by our faith but by the faith of Christ. we are justified by his faith and work and not by anything in or through us. (gal.2:16) etc. there is no church that has not perverted the gospel. study your Bible and stop listening to these
                            > people. the regulative principle does not exist the way they say. Deut. 12:32 is speaking of adding to the word of God as well as prov.30:6 and rev.22:18 there is nothing in the bible that says you cant celebrate holidays like Christmas. remember, we are to do all things in a God glorifying way. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERY ONE, james

                          • bob_suden
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 13, 2009
                              grevoitua rgfxmokjn9iohfdnfpnvdcioo-0p-fd;iknoikk;hojz critu vriotj vr
                              so there oipzesrtv 8oi that ought to settle it and anutherthing how can we take u seeriusly sinze u misspelled ur name no caps run on it is connieblaine
                              bye 4now adslk;'fjsao[ j