Covenanter Facebookers?

  • raging_calvinist
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 10, 2009
      Anyone else of the Covenanter persuasion on Facebook?

      Also, any of my friends here (Covenanter or not) are welcome to "friend me" if you are so inclined.

      gmw.

      http://www.facebook.com/JerryWaybright
    • Kevin Guillory

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 10, 2009
          I remember you very well, Kevin.  I enjoyed your visit, and would hope we could do it again sometime!

          gmw.

          Kevin Guillory wrote:

          Met you before in Pennsy.  (I'm from Baltimore.)  Hope you and the family are all well.

          But I'm scared of Facebook.  I really don't know much about it but tend to shy away from it.  I have a coworker who constantly brags about how many friends he has who joined his facebook thingy.

          Kevin

          On 12/10/2009 7:26 AM, raging_calvinist wrote:

          Anyone else of the Covenanter persuasion on Facebook?

          Also, any of my friends here (Covenanter or not) are welcome to "friend me" if you are so inclined.

          gmw.

          http://www.facebook .com/JerryWaybri ght

        • PuritanoPresbiterinao
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 11, 2009

            Hey Kevin!

            We have chatted before.  Our church meets in Bethesda, Maryland (you are not that far really).  You are welcome to drop by any Lord´s Day, I would love to meet you face to face.  We hold fast to the Regulative Principle of Worship (only Psalms, no holy days) and other historic Presbyterian doctrines.

            http://www.westminsterconfession.org/congregations/washington/

            Edgar

            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Guillory <globachio@...> wrote:

            > Met you before in Pennsy. (I'm from Baltimore.) Hope you and the
            > family are all well.
            >
            > But I'm scared of Facebook. I really don't know much about it but tend
            > to shy away from it. I have a coworker who constantly brags about how
            > many friends he has who joined his facebook thingy.
            >

            > Kevin
            >
            > On 12/10/2009 7:26 AM, raging_calvinist wrote:
            > >

            > > Anyone else of the Covenanter persuasion on Facebook?
            > >
            > > Also, any of my friends here (Covenanter or not) are welcome to
            > > "friend me" if you are so inclined.
            > >
            > > gmw.
            > >
            > > http://www.facebook.com/JerryWaybright
            > > <http://www.facebook.com/JerryWaybright>

          • christabella.warren
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 11, 2009
              Edgar:--
              Is your church very close to Fourth Presbyterian Church? That's the congregation that I am with now, but I would be interested in visiting yours to see if it was even more in the Reformed tradition.
            • Kevin Guillory
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 11, 2009
                Yes!  I've seen your church online before and have listened to sermons from there.  Your services don't begin until the afternoon (2 pm, I think) which would make it easier for me to drop by.

                Right now I'm working full-time at Helping Up Mission (for homeless addicts/alcoholics) in downtown Baltimore, but I am also part-time pastor of a small, independent church.  This give me about 60-65 hours per week.  No days off for me.  But I'm thinking I may have to resign from my congregation.  It's all just a bit too much.  So perhaps in January would be the best time.

                Kevin

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 11, 2009
                  Kevin,

                  Wow, you are busy!! Well, we would love to have you and your family visit. If you need further info, just e-mail me or call the church's phone number (the Pastor will answer).

                  Thanks!

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 11, 2009
                    Yes, we are close to 4th Presbie. Our congregation is part of the Free Church of Scotland (Continuing) and is a bulwark of the historic Presbyterian tradition. We have a very simple worship service. Prayer, A Capella Psalm singing (using the 1650 Psalter), Scripture reading, and the preached word. We have the Lord's Supper every quarter (coming in January). We employ the old 15th/16th Century reformed method in accord to the Word of God: Fermented wine is served; we all sit at a common table (no pew communion); drink from a common cup (no little cups). Open to professed Christians after an interview with the Pastor (Rev. Sherman Isbell in our case).

                    Come, you will see the HUGE difference between the PCA and our church.

                    http://www.westminsterconfession.org/congregations/washington/times-location.php

                    In Christ,

                    Edgar Ibarra

                    --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, christabella.warren <no_reply@...> wrote:

                    > Edgar:--
                    > Is your church very close to Fourth Presbyterian Church? That's the congregation that I am with now, but I would be interested in visiting yours to see if it was even more in the Reformed tradition.

                  • Larry Bump
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 11, 2009
                      I have a Facebook account, but I only use it to check on my kids and
                      their friends' pages.
                    • christabella.warren
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 12, 2009
                        Thanks! I shall definitely visit some time soon. What style of sermon is preached -- the old, logical style beloved of the Puritans?

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 12, 2009
                          Great! The sermon is experimental style...yes like the Puritans.
                          The Gospel is always offered as well. Odd thing to say about a sermon,
                          but as is the case with most Churches today, you don't hear the Gospel,
                          you hear moralism.

                          http://www.westminsterconfession.org/identity/experience-of-the-truth.ph\

                          The service starts at 2 pm then we have a meal in between and then
                          worship again at 6pm. If you need further info you can email me
                          privately at PuritanPresbyterian AT gmail.com

                          Look forward to meet you.

                          In Christ,

                          Edgar Ibarra
                          www.PresbiterianoReformado.org