Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Again further evidence of the US Govt's aggression towards Christianity

  • puritanone
    Message 1 of 33 , May 15, 2009
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Ben Hart <benjamin.hart1@...> wrote:

      > it is a fact of the matter that a good
      > many of the attempts to establish the reformed religion seemed to have
      > backfired.

      Ben, this *may* be my last post on this topic, but I would submit you are thinking entirely wrong about this.

      Just because of the various backsliding, scandals, and even captivity that plagued ancient Israel, it would be wrong to say that what Moses set up in Israel under God's direction "backfired". It did not backfire at all. What backfired was when men rebelled against that order, and often rebelled very successfully.

      What is true of Moses' Israel, is also true of Calvin's Geneva, Knox's Scotland, Winthrop's Massachusetts, etc.

      Just to take one example, I think Scotland 1560-1843 compares very favorably to the USA 1776-2009.

      - J. Parnell McCarter
    • Connie Blaine
      Message 33 of 33 , May 17, 2009
        you quoted proverbs 11:14 which says:  "where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety." remember that proverbs are parables. verse 1:6 says; "To understand a PROVERB, and the interpretation; the words of the WISE, and THEIR dark sayings." so who are the wise counselors? its the word of God. you say its the westminster divines. you can believe that since these are the counsellors you have chosen to obey. the American version and the old version don't even agree totally but you are at liberty to believe the old if you want. but proverbs 11:14 etc. are speaking of the Bible. "The law and the prophets"  we read in 2 Tim. 3:15-17; "and that from a child thou hast known the holy SCRIPTURES, WHICH ARE ABLE TO MAKE THEE WISE unto salvation....ALL SCRIPTURE is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness; that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." Paul, speaking under the inspiration of the Holy spirit lays down the principle in Romans 3:4, "...let God be true, but every man a liar" see also Jer.17:5. the westminster divines are men are they not? so this means that we cant trust what they have stated as always absolutely true. but the Bible is absolutely true and sufficient. In Isaiah 9:6 we read of Christ "...and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, the mighty God..." same word that is used in proverbs11:14 also Paul declares in acts 20:27; "For i have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God." Heb.6:17 declares; "...the immutability of his counsel..." Rev. 3:18,"I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire,..." etc. But we are not going to agree because we are following two different authorities. you are following another gospel and so we cant agree. I have pointed out a number of false teachings in the confession before, but if you wish to disagree you can. you can belittle me and put me down if you wish. As for anabaptist I have heard of them but I really know nothing of them. you have perverted what romans 13 is saying and you have perverted what the great commision is, etc. No i was not on this site before. james.