Re: The Real First Covenant: the Covenant of Redemption, explained by Dickson, pt1

  • Ic Neltococayotl
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 5, 2009
      If anything, thanks for the link to the blog. Looks like a great blog
      to visit and read!

      Greetings to the family and our mutual friends in San Louis, MO!

      Tu hermano,

      Edgar

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "benhartmail"
      <benjamin.hart1@...> wrote:

      > This is slightly tangental, but I thought I'd post it for those who
      might care about a contemporary philosopher's take on the
      infra-supra-/lapsarian debate.

      > http://prosblogion.ektopos.com/archives/2009/03/plantingan-supr.html
      >
      > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Ic Neltococayotl"
      puritanpresbyterian@ wrote:

      > > Jer,
      > >
      > > Thanks for the two posts!!
      > >
      > > You know when I stop and think about it, it so floors me! That God
      whom
      > > WE have all offended and who justly has condemned us to everlasting
      > > conscience punishment, also served Himself up as a propitiation to
      > > redeem us and thereby have His people escape what WE justly deserve!
      > > The Judge who condemned the convict, becomes the One who goes to the
      > > gallows for the convict.
      > >
      > > The Father COVENANTED with the Son and the Holy Spirit to save His
      > > people from this just judgment of eternal condemnation. All this not
      > > because of anything good in us, but because of His mercy!!!
      > >
      > > Now that is a God of love and mercy!
      > >
      > > Amazing and Awesome!!
      > >

      > > The Gospel truly demonsrates the One true Faith!
      > >
      > > A sinner saved by His grace,
      > >
      > > Edgar
      > >

      > > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "gmw"
      > > <ragingcalvinist@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > One aspect of the Covenant of Redemption that has fascinated me
      since
      > > it first ocurred to me (from reading Patrick Gillespie many years
      ago),
      > > is that Jesus Christ is party to the Covenant of Redemption as God
      the
      > > Son (being God, the offended party), and as the God-man/Mediator (as
      the
      > > party agreeing to purchase sinners).
      > > >
      > > > Any thoughts on this amazing aspect of the Covenant?
      > > >
      > > > gmw.
      > > >
      > > > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "gmw"

      Dickson
      > > explains the Covenant of Redemption spledidly in his Therapeuitica
      > > Sacra, chapter IV.

      > > by "Redemption," and who are the parties thereof, and then explains
      what
      > > is meant by this Covenant of Redemption.

      > > right application of divine Covenants about our salvation: therefore
      it
      > > is necessary, that some measure of the knowledge thereof be opened
      up.

      God is
      > > at least the one party contracter. Of this sort of covenants about
      the
      > > eternal salvation of men (which sort chiefly belong to our purpose)
      > > there are three. The first is, the covenant of redemption, past
      between
      > > God, and Christ God appointed Mediatour, before the world was, in
      the
      > > council of the Trinity. The second is, the covenant of works, made
      > > between God and men, in Adam in his integrity, endued with all
      natural
      > > perfections, enabling him to keep it, so long as it pleased him to
      stand
      > > to the condition. The third is, the covenant of grace and
      reconciliation
      > > through Christ, made between God and believers (with their children)
      in
      > > Christ.

      > > must distinguish the sundry acceptions of the word redemption: for,
      (1.)
      > > Sometime it is taken for the contract and agreement of selling and
      > > buying-back to eternal salvation, of lost man, looked upon as in the
      > > state of sin and misery. In which sense, we are said to be bought by
      > > Christ, both souls and bodies, 1 Cor. 6.19,20, Ye are not your own;
      for
      > > ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and
      in
      > > your spirit, which are God's. And this may be called redemption by
      > > paction and agreed bargain. (2.) Sometimes redemption is taken for
      the
      > > paying of the price agreed upon. In which sense, Christ is said to
      have
      > > redeemed us, by suffering of the punishment due to us, and ransoming
      of
      > > us, Gal 3.13, Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law,
      being
      > > made a curse for us. (3.) Sometime redemption is taken for the begun
      > > application of the benefits purchased in the covenant by the price
      paid,
      > > Eph. 1.7, In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the
      > > remission of sins, according to the riches of His grace. (4.)
      Sometime
      > > redemption is taken for the perfect and full possession of all the
      > > benefits agreed upon between the Father and Christ His Son the
      Mediator.
      > > In which sense, we are said to be sealed with the holy Spirit of
      > > promise, which is the earnest of our inheritance, until the
      redemption
      > > of the purchased possession, Ephes. 1.14. and Ephes. 4.30, it is
      said,
      > > Grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the
      day of
      > > redemption; which is the day of Judgment, when Christ shall put us
      in
      > > full possession of all the blessedness which He purchased by bargain
      and
      > > payment for us.

      > > covenant past between the Father and Christ His Son, designed
      Mediatour,
      > > about our redemption.

      > > the other party in this covenant, we do not seclude the Son and holy
      > > Spirit from being the party offended; but do look upon the Father,
      Son,
      > > and Spirit, one God in three Persons, as offended by man's sin; and
      yet
      > > all three contented to take satisfaction to divine justice for man's
      sin
      > > in the Person of the Son, as designed Mediatour, to be incarnate.
      > > Whereby the Son is both the party offended as God, one essentially
      with
      > > the Father and holy Spirit; and the party contracter also, as God
      > > designed Mediatour personally for redeeming man, who with consent of
      the
      > > Father and holy Spirit, from all eternity willed and purposed in the
      > > fullness of time, to assume the human nature in personal union with
      > > Himself, and for the elect's sake to become man, and to take the
      cause
      > > of the elect in hand, to bring them back to the friendship of God,
      and
      > > full enjoyment of felicity for evermore.

      > > designed mediatour the other party, speaking with the Scripture, for
      the
      > > more easy uptaking of the Covenant, let us look to one God in three
      > > Persons, having absolute right and sovereign power according to His
      own
      > > pleasure to dispose of men, looked upon as lying before God (to Whom
      all
      > > things are present) in sin and death, drawn on by man's own
      deserving,
      > > and yet for the glory of his grace resolving to save the elect, so
      as
      > > His justice shall be satisfied for them, in and by the second Person
      of
      > > the Trinity, the co-eternal and co-essential Son of the Father.

      > > bargain, agreed upon between the Father and the Son designed
      Mediator,
      > > concerning the elect (lying with the rest of mankind in the state of
      sin
      > > and death, procured by their own merit) wisely and powerfully to be
      > > converted, sanctified and saved, for the Son of God's satisfaction
      and
      > > obedience (in our nature to be assumed by Him) to be given in due
      time
      > > to the Father, even unto the death of the cross.

      > > selling and a buying of the elect, Acts 20.28, Feed the Church of
      God,

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 5, 2009
        And thank you for your thoughts, Edgar.

        It is sometimes said that Calvinists are proud because they believe they are elect (and where this is indeed the case, it is to be condemned), but in considering the Covenant of Redemption, I am greatly humbled.

        I certainly did not, and do not, and will not ever, deserve to be treated the way the One True and Living God has treated me.

        That Christ would undertake to purchase me among other sinners, is mind-blowing, humbling, and reason to praise God and to live a life of thankfulness to Him.

        May the Lord give me the grace to do so!

        gmw.

      • Jasper
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 5, 2009
          Amen to Edgar's and your (Jer) comments.  I had a great discussion today while traveling with an unbelieving employee and friend.  We discussed how the plan of salvation, and who would be the Redeemer, were all laid out by God prior to creation, prior to the fall of man.  We discussed how a holy and just God demonstrates his holiness and justice by punishing sin and actually sending some people to hell; we discussed how that same God demonstrates his grace by saving some people from their sins, thru the innocent Jesus Christ bearing our sins in His own body.  Discussing these things was of great encouragement to me; and for him, I could see lightbulbs firing up.

          to the praise of His glorious grace!

          Jack

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 6, 2009
            What a great opportunity that was given you to have such a conversation!

            How cool is that?

            Let's remember to pray for your friend.

            gmw.

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 6, 2009
              One text that seems to point to this Covenant of Redemption, is Titus 1:1-3:

              "Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness; ***In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;*** But hath in due times manifested his word through preaching, which is committed unto me according to the commandment of God our Saviour;"

              Eternal life was promised by God before the world began!

              Promised to whom?

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 13, 2009
                Dickson next provides six proofs of the Covenant of Redemption. Here is the first proof, which addresses the language used in Scripture which seems to express a covenant transaction:

                "But for further satisfaction, that there is such a covenant between the Father and the Son, as we have said, for redeeming of the elect, Scripture giveth us evidence six ways.

                "The first way is by expressions, which import & presuppose a formal covenant between the parties, buying and selling; the second way is, by styles and titles given to Christ the Redeemer; the third is, by expressions relating to an eternal decree for execution and performance of the covenant of redemption; the fourth is, by representation of this covenant in the Levitical types; the fifth is, by Christ the Redeemer now incarnate, His ratification of the covenant; and the sixth way is, by holding forth to us the heads and articles agreed upon, wherein the covenant consists.

                "The first proof.

                "AS to the expressions, importing a formal covenant, first, Eph. 1.7, it is called a redemption, or a buying of the elect out of sin and misery by blood, shewing that no remission of sin could be granted by Justice, without shedding of blood, and Christ undertook to pay the price, and hath paid it.

                "Again, the inheritance which the elect have promised unto them, is called a purchase, importing, that the disponer of the inheritance to the elect, must have a sufficient price for it, and that the Redeemer hath accepted the condition and laid down the price craved for it. Ephes. 1.14, and so brought back lost heaven and forfeited blessedness to so many sinners, who otherwise for sin, might justly have been excluded and debarred therefrom forever.

                "A third expression is holden forth, Acts 20.28, wherein God disponer and God Redeemer, are agreed, that the elect shall go free for God the Redeemer's obedience unto the death, who hath now bought them with His blood.

                "A fourth expression is in plain terms set down by Paul, 1 Cor. 6.20, Ye are bought with a price: God the disponer selleth, and God the Redeemer buyeth the elect to be His conquest, both body and spirit. And Peter more particularly expresseth the price of redemption agreed upon, to be not gold or silver, but the blood of the Mediatour Christ, the innocent Lamb of God, slain in typical prefigurations from the beginning of the World, and slain in real performance in the fullness of time, 1 Pet. 1.18-21.

                "A fifth expression is, that of our Lord Jesus in the institution of the Sacrament of His Supper, Matt. 26.28, This is my blood of the new Testament, which is shed for many, for remission of sins. Here an agreement between the Redeemer and God disponer, that these many which are the elect, shall have remission of sins for the Redeemer's ransom of blood paid for them. The purchase of this ransom of blood, He maketh over in the Covenant of grace and reconciliation to believers in Him, and sealeth the bargain with them by the Sacrament of His Supper."

                ---
                gmw