Puritans.net Home School Curriculum and the Reformation Party

  • puritanone
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 29, 2008
      We found it (www.puritans.net) ok to help with the education of our
      sons, but I am probably somewhat biased.

      - Parnell McCarter

      PS The Reformation Party http://www.puritans.net/Reformation_Party/
      now has 4 members (from 4 different families). For any others who at
      least could meet these 2 conditions, I would encourage you to join:

      · full adherence to the Biblical doctrines summarized in the
      original Westminster Standards (which include the Westminster
      Confession of Faith, the Westminster Shorter Catechism, and the
      Westminster Larger Catechism).

      · agreement with the Party Platform of the Reformation Party.

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Charles Barden
      <cbarden@...> wrote:

      > so funny you should mention this...I just found it the other day
      through CRTA. I have downloaded some of the curriculum for my son who
      is nine but is not homeschooled. I am hoping to supplement and
      "subvert" his government indoctrination. After all it is our job as
      parents and especially fathers to raise them up in the ways of the
      Lord. So...not sure yet but am trying it.

      > Charles
      Curriculum

      > Hello everyone.
      >
      > Is anyone familiar with Parnell's curriculum? I've heard about it for
      > years, but only recently found it's link.
      >
      > Has anyone used it and do have any feedback?
      >
      > Are there any details on its particulars?
      >
      > S. McClintock
      > Presbyterian

    • s_mcclintock1
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 4, 2009
        Parnell, my copy of the WCF has 6 more things. Why are they included,
        too?

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "puritanone"
        <joseph.mccarter@...> wrote:

        > We found it (www.puritans.net) ok to help with the education of our
        > sons, but I am probably somewhat biased.
        >
        > - Parnell McCarter
        >
        > PS The Reformation Party http://www.puritans.net/Reformation_Party/
        > now has 4 members (from 4 different families). For any others who at
        > least could meet these 2 conditions, I would encourage you to join:
        >
        > · full adherence to the Biblical doctrines summarized in the
        > original Westminster Standards (which include the Westminster
        > Confession of Faith, the Westminster Shorter Catechism, and the
        > Westminster Larger Catechism).
        >
        > · agreement with the Party Platform of the Reformation Party.
        >

        > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Charles Barden
        > cbarden@ wrote:
        > >
        > > so funny you should mention this...I just found it the other day
        > through CRTA. I have downloaded some of the curriculum for my son who
        > is nine but is not homeschooled. I am hoping to supplement and
        > "subvert" his government indoctrination. After all it is our job as
        > parents and especially fathers to raise them up in the ways of the
        > Lord. So...not sure yet but am trying it.
        > >
        > > Charles

      • s_mcclintock1
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 4, 2009
          Parnell, when you say it "helped" in the education of your children, did
          you use it to supplement something else, or did you use your material
          exclusively for those subjects?

          S.

          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, s_mcclintock1
          <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Parnell, my copy of the WCF has 6 more things. Why are they included,
          > too?
          >

          > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "puritanone"
          > joseph.mccarter@ wrote:
          > >
          > > We found it (www.puritans.net) ok to help with the education of our
          > > sons, but I am probably somewhat biased.
          > >
          > > - Parnell McCarter
          > >
          > > PS The Reformation Party http://www.puritans.net/Reformation_Party/
          > > now has 4 members (from 4 different families). For any others who at
          > > least could meet these 2 conditions, I would encourage you to join:
          > >
          > > · full adherence to the Biblical doctrines summarized in the
          > > original Westminster Standards (which include the Westminster
          > > Confession of Faith, the Westminster Shorter Catechism, and the
          > > Westminster Larger Catechism).
          > >
          > > · agreement with the Party Platform of the Reformation Party.
          > >

          > > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Charles Barden
          > > cbarden@ wrote:
          > > >
          > > > so funny you should mention this...I just found it the other day
          > > through CRTA. I have downloaded some of the curriculum for my son
          who
          > > is nine but is not homeschooled. I am hoping to supplement and
          > > "subvert" his government indoctrination. After all it is our job as
          > > parents and especially fathers to raise them up in the ways of the
          > > Lord. So...not sure yet but am trying it.
          > > >
          > > > Charles

        • puritanone
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 7, 2009
            > Parnell, my copy of the WCF has 6 more things. Why are they included,
            > too?

            I included those which lay out the timeless principles and do not
            contain time-specific instructions like the following :

            "To pray for ... for the comforting of the afflicted Queen of Bohemia,
            sister to our Sovereign; and for the restitution and establishment of
            the illustrious Prince Charles, Elector Palatine of the Rhine..."

            If this leads into a "RPNA-style" debate on this list, please count me
            out.

            - Parnell McCarter

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 7, 2009
              <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > Parnell, when you say it "helped" in the education of your children, did
              > you use it to supplement something else, or did you use your material
              > exclusively for those subjects?
              >
              > S.

              I would have to say we have used the Puritans.net material plus other
              material as well.

              - Parnell McCarter
            • s_mcclintock1
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 11, 2009
                Did you use your materials in history to supplement another curricula in
                history for the given grades?

                Did you use your materials in lit to supplement another curricula in
                literature for the given grades? (I could ask this queston for each of
                the areas where you produced materials. You get the idea, I hope.)

                Or did you supplement with things that you didn't write, like math, and
                use your materials exclusively for the the topics you did write?

                I'm trying to identify exactly what you mean by "supplement" with other
                materials.

                Thanks Parnell.

                Sheryllyn

                <joseph.mccarter@...> wrote:

                > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, s_mcclintock1
                > no_reply@ wrote:
                > >

                > > Parnell, when you say it "helped" in the education of your children,
                did
                > > you use it to supplement something else, or did you use your
                material
                > > exclusively for those subjects?
                > >
                > > S.
                > >

                > I would have to say we have used the Puritans.net material plus other
                > material as well.
                >
                > - Parnell McCarter

              • s_mcclintock1
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 11, 2009
                  Parnell, I'm trying to understand what you did and why you did it.

                  As far as I've read, I appreciate what you've done for topics/materials
                  to use for the Lord's Day. Great ideas!

                  There are many things in the WCF that are not specifics like you cited.
                  Why did you not include them, too?

                  I'm trying to understand, that's all.

                  Sheryllyn

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 14, 2009
                    <no_reply@...> wrote:

                    > Did you use your materials in history to supplement another curricula in
                    > history for the given grades?

                    No, because its history textbooks are complete.

                    > Did you use your materials in lit to supplement another curricula in
                    > literature for the given grades?

                    No, because its literature textbooks are complete.

                    > did you supplement with things that you didn't write, like math, and
                    > use your materials exclusively for the the topics you did write?

                    Yes.

                    - Parnell McCarter
                  • puritanone
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 14, 2009
                      <no_reply@...> wrote:

                      > Parnell, I'm trying to understand what you did and why you did it.
                      >
                      > As far as I've read, I appreciate what you've done for topics/materials
                      > to use for the Lord's Day. Great ideas!
                      >
                      > There are many things in the WCF that are not specifics like you cited.
                      > Why did you not include them, too?
                      >
                      > I'm trying to understand, that's all.
                      >
                      > Sheryllyn

                      Sheryllyn, I perhaps do not understand your question. There is this
                      membership requirement in the Reformation Party:

                      full adherence to the Biblical doctrines summarized in the original
                      Westminster Standards (which include the Westminster Confession of
                      Faith, the Westminster Shorter Catechism, and the Westminster Larger
                      Catechism)

                      At least to me that requirement seems straight-forward. It
                      distinguishes it from any other political party I have seen in
                      existence or proposed today.

                      But such a membership requirement in a political party seems to me to
                      be the logical consequence of belief in the doctrines of the original
                      Westminster Standards. However, there are obviously many who disagree
                      with me on that, or else I am sure it would have more than 4 separate
                      family member memberships, or at least there would be other political
                      parties today with that as one of its requirements.

                      It seems to me that God uses means, however humble in origin, to work
                      His will.

                      - Parnell McCarter
                    • s_mcclintock1
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 18, 2009

                        Hi Parnell.

                        Thanks for confirming about the completeness of the materials. They looked that way to me, but I haven't had time to go through them thoroughly and make that determination.

                        And, now that I look at the posts, I think at this point I became confused.

                        On Dec 29, when in response  to Charles, you changed the title of the Subject to include ..."and the Reformation Party." You added to this post script:

                        >PS The Reformation Party http://www.puritans.net/Reformation_Party/
                        >now has 4 members (from 4 different families). For any others who at
                        >least could meet these 2 conditions, I would encourage you to join:
                        > -full adherence to the Biblical doctrines summarized in the
                        > original Westminster Standards (which include the Westminster
                        > Confession of Faith, the Westminster Shorter Catechism, and the
                        > Westminster Larger Catechism).

                        Until now, I read this answer in light of the curriculum...that you wrote it leaving out the other 6 documents I have in my original WCF.

                        I guess it is time to ask...did you include (teach on) the other 6 docs in curriculum, or did you leave them out also, along the lines you left them out of requirements for the Reformation Party: