Re: [Covenanted Reformation] The Episcopalians

  • Ic Neltococayotl
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2008
      Jer and Rev. Ferrell,

      Thank you both for your words.

      I simply am ignorant of the Episcopalian/Anglican set up today and with
      the news as of late, like you said Pastor, just wanted to get accurate
      information.

      It is a sad day every time wickedness takes more of a hold of the
      visible church (as in sodomites in the pulpit, preceded by women in the
      pulpit).

      Thank you for the info.

      Edgar

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Glenn Ferrell

      Boise, Idaho http://sovereignredeemer.org

      > To: covenantedreformationclub@...: pascegregemtuum@...: Wed, 3 Dec
      2008 23:17:15 -0500Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] The
      Episcopalians

      > who cares
      >

      > In a message dated 12/3/2008 11:16:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      jglennferrell@... writes:

      > The REC is among the older American continuing Episcopalian groups,
      dating from 1873 and tending to be more Protestant in theology and
      worship. They have no official recognition by the Archbishop of
      Canterbury. In recent years, with the newer groups leaving the
      Episcopal church, they have become closer to the REC, some hoping to
      form a new conservative province of North American Anglicans in
      relationship to worldwide Anglicanism. Regrettably, the separating
      groups include a good number of Anglo-Catholics and these have
      influenced the whole. The REC is becoming less protestant in worship
      and theology. Packer had his ministerial credential lifted by the bishop
      of British Columbia when the congregation he attended left the diocese
      and came under the jurisdiction of the province of the Southern Cone (I
      believe this is Chili and Argentina). Packer was immediately received
      into that jurisdiction also. The province of the Southern Cone also
      recently received several former Episcopal Church dioceses, including
      that of Pittsburg. The Southern Cone province is in communion with the
      world wide Anglican communion, recognized by the Archbishop of
      Canterbury. GlennJ. Glenn Ferrell, Pastor, Sovereign Redeemer
      Presbyterian Church, Boise, Idaho http://sovereignredeemer.org

      > To: covenantedreformationclub@...: puritanpresbyterian@...: Thu, 4 Dec
      2008 02:42:57 +0000Subject: [Covenanted Reformation] The Episcopalians

      > List,With the now revealed break up of the Episcopalian Church in the
      US andCanada, I would like to know from those here who know where the
      ReformedEpiscopalian Church fits in all of their morass of divisions. Do
      theyrecognize the Archbishop of Canterbury and is it reciprocal?I ask,
      cause I have met Presbyterian ministers that once trained inReformed
      Eps. Seminaries and I found that different. Oh, and how doesJ.I. Packer
      fit in all this, I know he is or was an Anglican?Thanks,Edgar
      Ibarraattending Westminster PRESBYTERIAN Chrucha Free Church of Scotland
      (Continuing) congregationin Bethesda, MD

      > Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites
      in one place. Try it now.

    • Glenn Ferrell
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2008
        The REC once made a serious attempt to be Protestant in their practice.  Their form of the Prayer Book was based on one suggested by Richard Baxter, taking out the more Roman Catholic elements disliked by the Puritans.  They also did not require rigid adherence to the Prayer Book, call their communion table an "altar" or place candles upon it.  Though they had bishops, they did not insist upon the re-ordination of Protestant ministers transferring to their jurisdiction, accepting them as already fully ordained ministers of Christ's Church.  We might have characterized them as Anglicans after the style of Usher or Ryle.

        The Historical Preface in their Book of Common Prayer is interesting:

        http://www.cranmerhouse.org/RECBCP.pdf

        Yes, the Episcopalians were discounting scripture when they started ordaining women, leading to other things.  Interestingly, some of the continuing groups, such as the Anglican Mission in America (AMiA), many of them coming from the ECUS, have reversed their stand on ordaining women.

        To: covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
        From: puritanpresbyterian@...
        Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 15:22:29 +0000
        Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] The Episcopalians