Re: [Covenanted Reformation] The Episcopalians

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2008
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, pascegregemtuum@...
      wrote:

      > who cares

      My friend who asked the question cares.

      Those of us who love Zion care.

      gmw.

      > In a message dated 12/3/2008 11:16:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      > jglennferrell@... writes:
      >

      > The REC is among the older American continuing Episcopalian groups,
      dating
      > from 1873 and tending to be more Protestant in theology and worship.
      They
      > have no official recognition by the Archbishop of Canterbury. In
      recent years,
      > with the newer groups leaving the Episcopal church, they have
      become closer
      > to the REC, some hoping to form a new conservative province of
      North American
      > Anglicans in relationship to worldwide Anglicanism. Regrettably, the
      > separating groups include a good number of Anglo-Catholics and
      these have influenced
      > the whole. The REC is becoming less protestant in worship and
      theology.

      > Packer had his ministerial credential lifted by the bishop of British
      > Columbia when the congregation he attended left the diocese and
      came under the
      > jurisdiction of the province of the Southern Cone (I believe this
      is Chili and
      > Argentina). Packer was immediately received into that jurisdiction
      also. The
      > province of the Southern Cone also recently received several former
      Episcopal
      > Church dioceses, including that of Pittsburg. The Southern Cone
      province is
      > in communion with the world wide Anglican communion, recognized by the
      > Archbishop of Canterbury.
      >
      > Glenn
      >
      > J. Glenn Ferrell, Pastor, Sovereign Redeemer Presbyterian Church,
      Boise,
      > Idaho http://sovereignredJ. Glenn
      >

      > ____________________________________
      >
      > To: covenantedreformatiTo: covenantedreTo: co
      > From: puritanpresbyterianFrom:
      > Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 02:42:57 +0000
      > Subject: [Covenanted Reformation] The Episcopalians
      >

      > List,
      >
      > With the now revealed break up of the Episcopalian Church in the US and
      > Canada, I would like to know from those here who know where the
      Reformed
      > Episcopalian Church fits in all of their morass of divisions. Do they
      > recognize the Archbishop of Canterbury and is it reciprocal?
      >
      > I ask, cause I have met Presbyterian ministers that once trained in
      > Reformed Eps. Seminaries and I found that different. Oh, and how does
      > J.I. Packer fit in all this, I know he is or was an Anglican?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Edgar Ibarra
      >
      > attending Westminster PRESBYTERIAN Chruch
      >
      > a Free Church of Scotland (Continuing) congregation
      >
      > in Bethesda, MD
      >

      > **************Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and
      > favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

    • Glenn Ferrell
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2008
        I assume the person asking the question, Edgar, cares for accurate information.

        Glenn

        J. Glenn Ferrell, Pastor, Sovereign Redeemer Presbyterian Church, Boise, Idaho http://sovereignredeemer.org

        To: covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2008
          Jer and Rev. Ferrell,

          Thank you both for your words.

          I simply am ignorant of the Episcopalian/Anglican set up today and with
          the news as of late, like you said Pastor, just wanted to get accurate
          information.

          It is a sad day every time wickedness takes more of a hold of the
          visible church (as in sodomites in the pulpit, preceded by women in the
          pulpit).

          Thank you for the info.

          Edgar

          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Glenn Ferrell
          <jglennferrell@...> wrote:

          > I assume the person asking the question, Edgar, cares for accurate
          information.

          > Glenn
          > J. Glenn Ferrell, Pastor, Sovereign Redeemer Presbyterian Church,
          Boise, Idaho http://sovereignredeemer.org

          > To: covenantedreformationclub@...: pascegregemtuum@...: Wed, 3 Dec
          2008 23:17:15 -0500Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] The
          Episcopalians

          > who cares
          >

          > In a message dated 12/3/2008 11:16:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          jglennferrell@... writes:

          > The REC is among the older American continuing Episcopalian groups,
          dating from 1873 and tending to be more Protestant in theology and
          worship. They have no official recognition by the Archbishop of
          Canterbury. In recent years, with the newer groups leaving the
          Episcopal church, they have become closer to the REC, some hoping to
          form a new conservative province of North American Anglicans in
          relationship to worldwide Anglicanism. Regrettably, the separating
          groups include a good number of Anglo-Catholics and these have
          influenced the whole. The REC is becoming less protestant in worship
          and theology. Packer had his ministerial credential lifted by the bishop
          of British Columbia when the congregation he attended left the diocese
          and came under the jurisdiction of the province of the Southern Cone (I
          believe this is Chili and Argentina). Packer was immediately received
          into that jurisdiction also. The province of the Southern Cone also
          recently received several former Episcopal Church dioceses, including
          that of Pittsburg. The Southern Cone province is in communion with the
          world wide Anglican communion, recognized by the Archbishop of
          Canterbury. GlennJ. Glenn Ferrell, Pastor, Sovereign Redeemer
          Presbyterian Church, Boise, Idaho http://sovereignredeemer.org

          > To: covenantedreformationclub@...: puritanpresbyterian@...: Thu, 4 Dec
          2008 02:42:57 +0000Subject: [Covenanted Reformation] The Episcopalians

          > List,With the now revealed break up of the Episcopalian Church in the
          US andCanada, I would like to know from those here who know where the
          ReformedEpiscopalian Church fits in all of their morass of divisions. Do
          theyrecognize the Archbishop of Canterbury and is it reciprocal?I ask,
          cause I have met Presbyterian ministers that once trained inReformed
          Eps. Seminaries and I found that different. Oh, and how doesJ.I. Packer
          fit in all this, I know he is or was an Anglican?Thanks,Edgar
          Ibarraattending Westminster PRESBYTERIAN Chrucha Free Church of Scotland
          (Continuing) congregationin Bethesda, MD

          > Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites
          in one place. Try it now.

        • Glenn Ferrell
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2008
            The REC once made a serious attempt to be Protestant in their practice.  Their form of the Prayer Book was based on one suggested by Richard Baxter, taking out the more Roman Catholic elements disliked by the Puritans.  They also did not require rigid adherence to the Prayer Book, call their communion table an "altar" or place candles upon it.  Though they had bishops, they did not insist upon the re-ordination of Protestant ministers transferring to their jurisdiction, accepting them as already fully ordained ministers of Christ's Church.  We might have characterized them as Anglicans after the style of Usher or Ryle.

            The Historical Preface in their Book of Common Prayer is interesting:

            http://www.cranmerhouse.org/RECBCP.pdf

            Yes, the Episcopalians were discounting scripture when they started ordaining women, leading to other things.  Interestingly, some of the continuing groups, such as the Anglican Mission in America (AMiA), many of them coming from the ECUS, have reversed their stand on ordaining women.

            To: covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
            From: puritanpresbyterian@...
            Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 15:22:29 +0000