Re: [Covenanted Reformation] The Episcopalians

  • pascegregemtuum@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2008
      who cares

      In a message dated 12/3/2008 11:16:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, jglennferrell@... writes:

      The REC is among the older American continuing Episcopalian groups, dating from 1873 and tending to be more Protestant in theology and worship.  They have no official recognition by the Archbishop of Canterbury.  In recent years, with the newer groups leaving the Episcopal church, they have become closer to the REC, some hoping to form a new conservative province of North American Anglicans in relationship to worldwide Anglicanism.  Regrettably, the separating groups include a good number of Anglo-Catholics and these have influenced the whole.  The REC is becoming less protestant in worship and theology.

      Packer had his ministerial credential lifted by the bishop of British Columbia when the congregation he attended left the diocese and came under the jurisdiction of the province of the Southern Cone (I believe this is Chili and Argentina).  Packer was immediately received into that jurisdiction also.  The province of the Southern Cone also recently received several former Episcopal Church dioceses, including that of Pittsburg.  The Southern Cone province is in communion with the world wide Anglican communion, recognized by the Archbishop of Canterbury.

      Glenn

      J. Glenn Ferrell, Pastor, Sovereign Redeemer Presbyterian Church, Boise, Idaho http://sovereignred eemer.org

      To: covenantedreformati onclub@yahoogrou ps.com
      From: puritanpresbyterian @...
      Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 02:42:57 +0000
      Subject: [Covenanted Reformation] The Episcopalians

      List,

      With the now revealed break up of the Episcopalian Church in the US and
      Canada, I would like to know from those here who know where the Reformed
      Episcopalian Church fits in all of their morass of divisions. Do they
      recognize the Archbishop of Canterbury and is it reciprocal?

      I ask, cause I have met Presbyterian ministers that once trained in
      Reformed Eps. Seminaries and I found that different. Oh, and how does
      J.I. Packer fit in all this, I know he is or was an Anglican?

      Thanks,

      Edgar Ibarra

      attending Westminster PRESBYTERIAN Chruch

      a Free Church of Scotland (Continuing) congregation

      in Bethesda, MD

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2008
        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, pascegregemtuum@...
        wrote:

        > who cares

        My friend who asked the question cares.

        Those of us who love Zion care.

        gmw.

        > In a message dated 12/3/2008 11:16:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        > jglennferrell@... writes:
        >

        > The REC is among the older American continuing Episcopalian groups,
        dating
        > from 1873 and tending to be more Protestant in theology and worship.
        They
        > have no official recognition by the Archbishop of Canterbury. In
        recent years,
        > with the newer groups leaving the Episcopal church, they have
        become closer
        > to the REC, some hoping to form a new conservative province of
        North American
        > Anglicans in relationship to worldwide Anglicanism. Regrettably, the
        > separating groups include a good number of Anglo-Catholics and
        these have influenced
        > the whole. The REC is becoming less protestant in worship and
        theology.

        > Packer had his ministerial credential lifted by the bishop of British
        > Columbia when the congregation he attended left the diocese and
        came under the
        > jurisdiction of the province of the Southern Cone (I believe this
        is Chili and
        > Argentina). Packer was immediately received into that jurisdiction
        also. The
        > province of the Southern Cone also recently received several former
        Episcopal
        > Church dioceses, including that of Pittsburg. The Southern Cone
        province is
        > in communion with the world wide Anglican communion, recognized by the
        > Archbishop of Canterbury.
        >
        > Glenn
        >
        > J. Glenn Ferrell, Pastor, Sovereign Redeemer Presbyterian Church,
        Boise,
        > Idaho http://sovereignredJ. Glenn
        >

        > ____________________________________
        >
        > To: covenantedreformatiTo: covenantedreTo: co
        > From: puritanpresbyterianFrom:
        > Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 02:42:57 +0000
        > Subject: [Covenanted Reformation] The Episcopalians
        >

        > List,
        >
        > With the now revealed break up of the Episcopalian Church in the US and
        > Canada, I would like to know from those here who know where the
        Reformed
        > Episcopalian Church fits in all of their morass of divisions. Do they
        > recognize the Archbishop of Canterbury and is it reciprocal?
        >
        > I ask, cause I have met Presbyterian ministers that once trained in
        > Reformed Eps. Seminaries and I found that different. Oh, and how does
        > J.I. Packer fit in all this, I know he is or was an Anglican?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Edgar Ibarra
        >
        > attending Westminster PRESBYTERIAN Chruch
        >
        > a Free Church of Scotland (Continuing) congregation
        >
        > in Bethesda, MD
        >

        > **************Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and
        > favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

      • Glenn Ferrell
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2008
          I assume the person asking the question, Edgar, cares for accurate information.

          To: covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2008
            Jer and Rev. Ferrell,

            Thank you both for your words.

            I simply am ignorant of the Episcopalian/Anglican set up today and with
            the news as of late, like you said Pastor, just wanted to get accurate
            information.

            It is a sad day every time wickedness takes more of a hold of the
            visible church (as in sodomites in the pulpit, preceded by women in the
            pulpit).

            Thank you for the info.

            Edgar

            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Glenn Ferrell
            <jglennferrell@...> wrote:

            > I assume the person asking the question, Edgar, cares for accurate
            information.

            > Glenn
            > J. Glenn Ferrell, Pastor, Sovereign Redeemer Presbyterian Church,
            Boise, Idaho http://sovereignredeemer.org

            > To: covenantedreformationclub@...: pascegregemtuum@...: Wed, 3 Dec
            2008 23:17:15 -0500Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] The
            Episcopalians

            > who cares
            >

            > In a message dated 12/3/2008 11:16:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            jglennferrell@... writes:

            > The REC is among the older American continuing Episcopalian groups,
            dating from 1873 and tending to be more Protestant in theology and
            worship. They have no official recognition by the Archbishop of
            Canterbury. In recent years, with the newer groups leaving the
            Episcopal church, they have become closer to the REC, some hoping to
            form a new conservative province of North American Anglicans in
            relationship to worldwide Anglicanism. Regrettably, the separating
            groups include a good number of Anglo-Catholics and these have
            influenced the whole. The REC is becoming less protestant in worship
            and theology. Packer had his ministerial credential lifted by the bishop
            of British Columbia when the congregation he attended left the diocese
            and came under the jurisdiction of the province of the Southern Cone (I
            believe this is Chili and Argentina). Packer was immediately received
            into that jurisdiction also. The province of the Southern Cone also
            recently received several former Episcopal Church dioceses, including
            that of Pittsburg. The Southern Cone province is in communion with the
            world wide Anglican communion, recognized by the Archbishop of
            Canterbury. GlennJ. Glenn Ferrell, Pastor, Sovereign Redeemer
            Presbyterian Church, Boise, Idaho http://sovereignredeemer.org

            > To: covenantedreformationclub@...: puritanpresbyterian@...: Thu, 4 Dec
            2008 02:42:57 +0000Subject: [Covenanted Reformation] The Episcopalians

            > List,With the now revealed break up of the Episcopalian Church in the
            US andCanada, I would like to know from those here who know where the
            ReformedEpiscopalian Church fits in all of their morass of divisions. Do
            theyrecognize the Archbishop of Canterbury and is it reciprocal?I ask,
            cause I have met Presbyterian ministers that once trained inReformed
            Eps. Seminaries and I found that different. Oh, and how doesJ.I. Packer
            fit in all this, I know he is or was an Anglican?Thanks,Edgar
            Ibarraattending Westminster PRESBYTERIAN Chrucha Free Church of Scotland
            (Continuing) congregationin Bethesda, MD

            > Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites
            in one place. Try it now.

          • Glenn Ferrell
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 4, 2008
              The REC once made a serious attempt to be Protestant in their practice.  Their form of the Prayer Book was based on one suggested by Richard Baxter, taking out the more Roman Catholic elements disliked by the Puritans.  They also did not require rigid adherence to the Prayer Book, call their communion table an "altar" or place candles upon it.  Though they had bishops, they did not insist upon the re-ordination of Protestant ministers transferring to their jurisdiction, accepting them as already fully ordained ministers of Christ's Church.  We might have characterized them as Anglicans after the style of Usher or Ryle.

              The Historical Preface in their Book of Common Prayer is interesting:

              http://www.cranmerhouse.org/RECBCP.pdf

              Yes, the Episcopalians were discounting scripture when they started ordaining women, leading to other things.  Interestingly, some of the continuing groups, such as the Anglican Mission in America (AMiA), many of them coming from the ECUS, have reversed their stand on ordaining women.

              To: covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
              From: puritanpresbyterian@...
              Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 15:22:29 +0000