Re: John Frame and Images

  • Chris Coldwell
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 10, 2008
      Seeing this thread I wanted to post an FYI that Frame's Doctrine of
      the Christian Life, more specifically his chapters on the second
      commandment, are reviewed by Frank J. Smith in the forthcoming 2008
      issue of the Confessional Presbyterian journal, DV (getting close to
      done now). Also, I hope to run a substantial article on images and LC
      109 in the 2009 issue (again DV); at least I have someone slated to do
      it and some research is done.
      The 2008 I think surpasses the 2007 in variety/number of articles, but
      also, very surprisingly to me, in length. The 2008 should (still some
      last minute work) hit the 312 page mark, passing the what I thought
      was huge 304 of the 2007. And that is without any work on the text of
      the Larger Catechism, which, as it turns out, would not have fit given
      the length of everything else any way.
      Sincerely,
      Chris Coldwell
      The Confessional Presbyterian journal
      www.cpjournal.com
    • bob_suden
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 11, 2008
        Chris,
        Will you be posting the table of contents?
        Are there any plans to start reprinting Rutherford now that you have
        reprinted most of Gillespie?
        Thank you,
        Bob S.

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Coldwell"
        <naphtali@...> wrote:

        > Seeing this thread I wanted to post an FYI that Frame's Doctrine of
        > the Christian Life, more specifically his chapters on the second
        > commandment, are reviewed by Frank J. Smith in the forthcoming 2008
        > issue of the Confessional Presbyterian journal, DV (getting close to
        > done now). Also, I hope to run a substantial article on images and LC
        > 109 in the 2009 issue (again DV); at least I have someone slated to do
        > it and some research is done.
        > The 2008 I think surpasses the 2007 in variety/number of articles, but
        > also, very surprisingly to me, in length. The 2008 should (still some
        > last minute work) hit the 312 page mark, passing the what I thought
        > was huge 304 of the 2007. And that is without any work on the text of
        > the Larger Catechism, which, as it turns out, would not have fit given
        > the length of everything else any way.
        > Sincerely,
        > Chris Coldwell
        > The Confessional Presbyterian journal
        > www.cpjournal.com

      • Chris Coldwell
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 12, 2008
          Bob,
          Yes; I had hope to yesterday but juggling last minute things and also
          waiting on one last piece and the artwork to button the issue up; but
          that shouldn't prevent posting the contents which I will try to do
          later today and start sending out renewals maybe tomorrow.
          As for Rutherford. I do think about it; it would be very hard work.
          The easiest would be Paul's Presbytery (smallest and nicest structure)
          but church government is a poor seller; several oversized volumes
          containing more than one work may be the way to go; but that makes for
          huge projects. And actually, I have thought about redoing a collected
          Gillespie but that still requires a huge amount of work, mostly
          because of the work needed to check/revise edit Aaron's Rod
          Blossoming; translate, and research the bibliography etc. Right now
          I'm reworking the fast sermons of the Scots commissioners to the
          Westminster Assembly into one volume; and contemplating issuing it in
          the 17th century presbyterians series versus Lulu. It deserves the
          full offset printing treatment but it depends on if I can get a sense
          of any market for it and get interest from resellers and pre pub
          commitments. After that I have a commitment to finish all of Durham's
          sermons for a one volume project, which would put everything by Durham
          into print (and then eventually I have the text and rights to reissue
          the Revelation commentary in a matching format to the other large
          Durham volumes, Lord willing). And I have the text of a large Puritan
          work which needs editing for publication. That and I will have to
          start on CPJ 5 planning in a few months has my hands tied for a while.
          Thanks for asking.
          Chris Coldwell
          Editor, The Confessional Presbyterian journal
          www.cpjournal.com

          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "bob_suden"
          <bsuden@...> wrote:

          > Chris,
          > Will you be posting the table of contents?
          > Are there any plans to start reprinting Rutherford now that you have
          > reprinted most of Gillespie?
          > Thank you,
          > Bob S.
          >
          > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Coldwell"
          > <naphtali@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Seeing this thread I wanted to post an FYI that Frame's Doctrine of
          > > the Christian Life, more specifically his chapters on the second
          > > commandment, are reviewed by Frank J. Smith in the forthcoming 2008
          > > issue of the Confessional Presbyterian journal, DV (getting close to
          > > done now). Also, I hope to run a substantial article on images and LC
          > > 109 in the 2009 issue (again DV); at least I have someone slated to do
          > > it and some research is done.
          > > The 2008 I think surpasses the 2007 in variety/number of articles, but
          > > also, very surprisingly to me, in length. The 2008 should (still some
          > > last minute work) hit the 312 page mark, passing the what I thought
          > > was huge 304 of the 2007. And that is without any work on the text of
          > > the Larger Catechism, which, as it turns out, would not have fit given
          > > the length of everything else any way.
          > > Sincerely,
          > > Chris Coldwell
          > > The Confessional Presbyterian journal
          > > www.cpjournal.com

        • bob_suden
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 17, 2008
            Thanks, Chris.

            It will be interesting to see what Smith makes of Frame's latest.
            Re: "the text of a large Puritan work which needs editing for publication". As in Oliver Bowles'  Treatise on the Evangelical Pastor?  And if not, do you know anything about how that project is progressing?
            Re: the baptist Needham essay on the WCF, psalmody and hymns in the WCF in the 21st Century  what was L. Duncan thinking? Are the PCA southern  presbyterians  nominating him as a champion or a sacrificial lamb?

          • Chris Coldwell
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 17, 2008
              Bob,
              On the editorial decision making for Westminster 21st century; can't
              say. It may be "we takes what we can gets." I hear that, though the
              parameters of CPJ safeguard it significantly. On Needham, yes, for its
              length it is surprisingly off the mark (not just in its conclusion but
              in its method). Mr. Winzer does a fine job taking Needham's case apart
              in considerably less space. The large Puritan work is Cawdrey and
              Palmer's Sabbatum Redivivum (1645; 1652) in four parts. No, I have not
              heard anything about the Bowles (the Ryken project right?); but such
              things take a long time. On Dr. Smith's take on Frame, I suspect I'm
              not giving anything away if I say that the review is not favorable.

              <bsuden@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > sermons for a one volume project, which would put everything by Durham
              > > into print (and then eventually I have the text and rights to reissue
              > > the Revelation commentary in a matching format to the other large
              > > Durham volumes, Lord willing). And I have the text of a large Puritan
              > > work which needs editing for publication. That and I will have to
              > > start on CPJ 5 planning in a few months has my hands tied for a while.
              > > Thanks for asking.
              > > Chris Coldwell
              > > Editor, The Confessional Presbyterian journal
              > > www.cpjournal.com
              > >
              > > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "bob_suden"
              > > bsuden@ wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Chris,
              > > > Will you be posting the table of contents?
              > > > Are there any plans to start reprinting Rutherford now that you

            • bob_suden
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 18, 2008
                --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Coldwell" <naphtali@...> wrote:

                > Bob,
                > On the editorial decision making for Westminster 21st century; can't
                > say. It may be "we takes what we can gets."

                Sad, very sad - and inexcusable. L. Duncan was the editor for RAP '94 edition of  Carruthers' Everyday Work of the WAssembly, one chapter of which was actually entitled "The Metrical Psalms". But if you can't bother reading "Of Singing of Psalms" in the Directory for Public Worship, why let anything else get in your way?

                >I hear that, though the
                > parameters of CPJ safeguard it significantly. On Needham, yes, for its
                > length it is surprisingly off the mark (not just in its conclusion but
                > in its method). Mr. Winzer does a fine job taking Needham's case apart
                > in considerably less space.

                It is not that hard to do, though I haven't seen too many attempts. After all, Luther at first thought Erasmus was rather ridiculous on free will and wasn't going to bother.

                The large Puritan work is Cawdrey and
                > Palmer's Sabbatum Redivivum (1645; 1652) in four parts. No, I have not
                > heard anything about the Bowles (the Ryken project right?); but such
                > things take a long time.

                Ryken at one time told me it was on hold, but I saw an excerpt reprinted somewhere and figured you might be in the know.

                >On Dr. Smith's take on Frame, I suspect I'm
                > not giving anything away if I say that the review is not favorable.

                I would suspect as much. How could it be?
                FWIW the Table of Contents for   Frame's latest, Doct. of the Chr. Life  is  here, but the links are dead.

                thanks,

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 19, 2008
                  Bob,
                  > It is not that hard to do, though I haven't seen too many attempts.
                  > After all, Luther at first thought Erasmus was rather ridiculous on free
                  > will and wasn't going to bother.

                  Yes; on the plain sense reading I think you are right, but some have
                  insisted on controverting that and because opinion is varied outside
                  the context of the Assembly it is a bit of work to assemble an answer.
                  But as I say, Mr. Winzer did a fine job.

                  > I would suspect as much. How could it be?
                  > FWIW the Table of Contents for Frame's latest, Doct. of the Chr. Life
                  > is here
                  Well, I did pick up the book; the text is somewhat spruced up (at
                  least the chapters under review) so the book is not a straight "dump"
                  of what used to be posted, though I suspect not significantly
                  different, so it was necessary to review the print version. It is a
                  big book certainly.

                  Chris