Re: The North American Reformed Seminary (TNARS) - free seminary

  • bob_suden
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 9, 2008
      The question is not whether we ever can agree 100% with someone, but on
      what points we agree or disagree. Frame's argument and doctrine on
      pedagogical pictures of Christ is an attack on the doctrine of Scripture
      - Chapt. 1 of the Confession and one of the two principium of the
      Reformed faith, the other being the doctrine of God.

      In other words, the issue comes down to whether we will have the
      preaching of Christ or pictures of Christ, i.e. deja vu the Reformation
      conflict between Protestantism and popery.

      Of course Frame and his defenders think all the above a non sequitur -
      as if Frame's methodology itself is rigorously logical, never mind
      confessional, which is yet another mark against him regardless of what
      his "reformed" fans think. Others think it no small thing. Without
      apology I side with the latter.

      If a reformed seminary is to equip men to be able like the men of
      Issachar, to know the times and what Israel ought to do, an endorsement
      from a leading theologian of the day who has proudly, arrogantly and
      enthusiastically laid waste to the biblical and confessional doctrine of
      reformed worship does not say much for that seminary's reformed
      theological discernment.

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Bray"
      <larryicr@...> wrote:

      > Although i don't agree with all that Dr. Frame espouses, i most likely
      > don't agree with all of what any one man believes. I certainly think
      > that Dr. Frame falls within the pale of orthodoxy.
      >
      > Those who think that everyone must be on exactly the same page as
      > themselves have done great harm to the Church.
      >
      > For instance, i believe that theonomy goes too far in making the
      > application of the moral law normative, when it's really the moral law
      > itself that is normative. I think Dr. Frame goes to far the other way
      > in believing that even the normative moral law is...for lack of a
      > better word...bendable.
      >

      > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "bob_suden"
      > bsuden@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Sorry, in that a seminary - at least IMO - is to train men to be
      > > defenders of the faith, running an endorsement by one of the premier
      > > contemporary saboteurs of the same is - shall we say - a trifle
      > > schizophrenic. Not cool, to put it mildly.
      > >
      > > As for the Framites, what about these who aren't? In my book, an
      > > endorsement by JF is the kiss of death. I'd only expect more of the
      > > happy clappy cr*p that JF is known for from TNARS. Yes, I know,
      Paul
      > > tells the Corinthians he caught them with guile 2 Cor. 12:16, but he
      > > also tells us that we are not to do evil that good may result Rom.
      3:8.
      > > A false pretence of false amity toward JF's theology crosses the
      line.
      > > If it is false. Perhaps it is real. How are we to know, in that an
      > > endorsement usually means someone is glad to get it from the party
      > > giving it?
      > >
      > > But to be brutally blunt about it for those without a clue,
      regardless
      > > of how arrogant and "unloving" that sounds, what we have been
      > > witnessing in our day is a full scale assault on the doctrine,
      worship
      > > and government of the reformed church by many within the camp.
      Having
      > > begun with jus divinum church government (Schlissel and
      > > congregationalism), Frame and all his buddies have been hacking away
      at
      > > reformed worship, (Jordan, Schlissel, Wilson, Leithart, Horne,
      Meyer,

      <http://reformedveritas.blogspot.com/2007/10/federal-visions-fraudulent-\
      \
      > > version-of.html> (Jordan, Schlissel, Wilson, Leithart, Horne,
      Meyer).

      > > Frame hasn't publicly thrown in with the FV yet, but regardless if
      he
      > > ultimately does or not, the modus operandi is the same. Distort,
      > > mischaracterize and misrepresent the confessional orthodox position
      and
      > > then substitute schlock in its place, never mind that if you can't
      tell
      > > us what the confessional position really is in the first place,
      you're
      > > incompetent to the question to begin with. Frame has played his part
      in
      > > the mess the contemporary reformed church finds itself in, which is
      why
      > > a genuine reformed seminary not only doesn't need an endorsement
      from
      > > him, but would - if consistent - reject and repudiate it.
      > >
      > > Thank you,
      > > cordially
      > > Bob S.
      > >

      > > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Fraas"
      > > <fraasrd@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I would run in anyway. I think any endorsement by a notable
      figure
      > > > among Reformed/Protestant churches would tend to draw students.
      An
      > > > endorsement by a professor or pastor does not suggest that the
      > > > seminary endorses him back. If I were running a seminary I would
      > > > want Frame-ites to feel encouraged to apply. How else are they
      > > > going to become Reformed? Although I would exclude it if it were
      > > > not likely to draw students for the seminary, like an endorsement
      > > > from Grand Inquisitor Joe Ratzinger or Ehud Barak.
      > > >
      > > > Riley

    • bob_suden
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 9, 2008
        [Edit, not Send]

        ...  an endorsement from a leading "theologian" of the day who has proudly, arrogantly and enthusiastically laid waste to the biblical and confessional doctrine of reformed worship - and who is doing what he can to undercut the reformed doctrine of preaching and through it the doctrine of  Scripture -  does not say much for the Naive American Reformed Seminary's theological discernment.

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "bob_suden" <bsuden@...> wrote:

        > The question is not whether we ever can agree 100% with someone, but on
        > what points we agree or disagree. Frame's argument and doctrine on
        > pedagogical pictures of Christ is an attack on the doctrine of Scripture
        > - Chapt. 1 of the Confession and one of the two principium of the
        > Reformed faith, the other being the doctrine of God.
        >
        > In other words, the issue comes down to whether we will have the
        > preaching of Christ or pictures of Christ, i.e. deja vu the Reformation
        > conflict between Protestantism and popery.
        >
        > Of course Frame and his defenders think all the above a non sequitur -
        > as if Frame's methodology itself is rigorously logical, never mind
        > confessional, which is yet another mark against him regardless of what
        > his "reformed" fans think. Others think it no small thing. Without
        > apology I side with the latter.
        >
        > If a reformed seminary is to equip men to be able like the men of
        > Issachar, to know the times and what Israel ought to do, an endorsement
        > from a leading theologian of the day who has proudly, arrogantly and
        > enthusiastically laid waste to the biblical and confessional doctrine of
        > reformed worship does not say much for that seminary's reformed
        > theological discernment.
        >

        > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Bray"
        > larryicr@ wrote:
        > >
        > > Although i don't agree with all that Dr. Frame espouses, i most likely
        > > don't agree with all of what any one man believes. I certainly think
        > > that Dr. Frame falls within the pale of orthodoxy.
        > >
        > > Those who think that everyone must be on exactly the same page as
        > > themselves have done great harm to the Church.
        > >
        > > For instance, i believe that theonomy goes too far in making the
        > > application of the moral law normative, when it's really the moral law
        > > itself that is normative. I think Dr. Frame goes to far the other way
        > > in believing that even the normative moral law is...for lack of a
        > > better word...bendable.

      • Larry Bray
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 9, 2008
          First let me just say that Dr. Frame is anything but arrogant.

          You claim that his teaching on images of Christ is an attack on
          Scripture. Do you also believe that teachings outside of the
          Westminster Standards like the continental view on the Sabbath is also
          an attack on Scripture?

          Dr. Frame uses Scripture to back up his teaching on images of Christ.
          His interpretation of the command referring to making images for the
          purpose of worship is backed up in Lev 26:1 -

          "You shall not make idols for yourselves or erect an image or pillar,
          and you shall not set up a figured stone in your land to bow down to
          it, for I am the Lord your God."

          where we are told that we aren't to make an image "to bow down to it."

          In 2 Ki 18:4 we see Hezekiah destroying the bronze serpent (a picture
          of Christ). Though the image was permitted, the people started
          worshiping it, and that is what broke the command and therefore caused
          its destruction.

          Dr Frame also considers that permitting images in our mind of Jesus,
          since He was in the flesh, keeps us from the heresy of Docetism.

          <bsuden@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > >
          > > > Frame hasn't publicly thrown in with the FV yet, but regardless if
          > he
          > > > ultimately does or not, the modus operandi is the same. Distort,
          > > > mischaracterize and misrepresent the confessional orthodox position
          > and
          > > > then substitute schlock in its place, never mind that if you can't
          > tell
          > > > us what the confessional position really is in the first place,
          > you're
          > > > incompetent to the question to begin with. Frame has played his part
          > in
          > > > the mess the contemporary reformed church finds itself in, which is
          > why
          > > > a genuine reformed seminary not only doesn't need an endorsement
          > from
          > > > him, but would - if consistent - reject and repudiate it.

        • Larry Bray
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 9, 2008
            Frankly, i am glad that we don't attract people such as yourself who
            have so much enmity for others in the Body of Christ.

            <bsuden@...> wrote:

            > [Edit, not Send]
            >
            > ... an endorsement from a leading "theologian" of the day who has
            > proudly, arrogantly and enthusiastically laid waste to the biblical and
            > confessional doctrine of reformed worship - and who is doing what he can
            > to undercut the reformed doctrine of preaching and through it the
            > doctrine of Scripture - does not say much for the Naive American
            > Reformed Seminary's theological discernment.
            >
            > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "bob_suden"
            > <bsuden@> wrote:
            > >
            > > The question is not whether we ever can agree 100% with someone, but
            > on
            > > what points we agree or disagree. Frame's argument and doctrine on
            > > pedagogical pictures of Christ is an attack on the doctrine of
            > Scripture
            > > - Chapt. 1 of the Confession and one of the two principium of the
            > > Reformed faith, the other being the doctrine of God.
            > >
            > > In other words, the issue comes down to whether we will have the
            > > preaching of Christ or pictures of Christ, i.e. deja vu the
            > Reformation
            > > conflict between Protestantism and popery.
            > >
            > > Of course Frame and his defenders think all the above a non sequitur
            > -
            > > as if Frame's methodology itself is rigorously logical, never mind
            > > confessional, which is yet another mark against him regardless of what
            > > his "reformed" fans think. Others think it no small thing. Without
            > > apology I side with the latter.
            > >
            > > If a reformed seminary is to equip men to be able like the men of
            > > Issachar, to know the times and what Israel ought to do, an
            > endorsement
            > > from a leading theologian of the day who has proudly, arrogantly and
            > > enthusiastically laid waste to the biblical and confessional doctrine
            > of
            > > reformed worship does not say much for that seminary's reformed
            > > theological discernment.
            > >

            > > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Bray"
            > > larryicr@ wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Although i don't agree with all that Dr. Frame espouses, i most
            > likely
            > > > don't agree with all of what any one man believes. I certainly think
            > > > that Dr. Frame falls within the pale of orthodoxy.
            > > >
            > > > Those who think that everyone must be on exactly the same page as
            > > > themselves have done great harm to the Church.
            > > >
            > > > For instance, i believe that theonomy goes too far in making the
            > > > application of the moral law normative, when it's really the moral
            > law
            > > > itself that is normative. I think Dr. Frame goes to far the other
            > way
            > > > in believing that even the normative moral law is...for lack of a
            > > > better word...bendable.

          • ghowmil
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 9, 2008
              Bob is correct,

              People like John Frame who have claimed to be spokesmen for orthodoxy
              over the years have a great responsibility.

              If they wish to overthrow Reformed orthodoxy in worship etc, then they
              need to be honest and admit that their thinking is not compatible with
              the Reformers and the Reformed Confessions and resign as a teacher
              from any institution that claims to be Reformed. Such public teachers
              not only hurt the Reformation, they prove themselves to be
              hypocritical when claiming to teach biblical truth.

              Neither should a seminary want endorsement from such a 'teacher'.

              Kind Regards,

              Gary
              <bsuden@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > >
              > > > Frame hasn't publicly thrown in with the FV yet, but regardless if
              > he
              > > > ultimately does or not, the modus operandi is the same. Distort,
              > > > mischaracterize and misrepresent the confessional orthodox position
              > and
              > > > then substitute schlock in its place, never mind that if you can't
              > tell
              > > > us what the confessional position really is in the first place,
              > you're
              > > > incompetent to the question to begin with. Frame has played his part
              > in
              > > > the mess the contemporary reformed church finds itself in, which is
              > why
              > > > a genuine reformed seminary not only doesn't need an endorsement
              > from
              > > > him, but would - if consistent - reject and repudiate it.

            • ghowmil
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 9, 2008
                Hi Larry (May I?),

                Points noted below for you consideration.

                <larryicr@...> wrote:

                > First let me just say that Dr. Frame is anything but arrogant.

                I am sure JF is a pleasant fellow and respectful of others, but there
                is such a thing as academic arrogance.

                > You claim that his teaching on images of Christ is an attack on
                > Scripture. Do you also believe that teachings outside of the
                > Westminster Standards like the continental view on the Sabbath is also
                > an attack on Scripture?

                Yes anti-sabbatarian views are an attack on Scripture

                > Dr. Frame uses Scripture to back up his teaching on images of Christ.
                > His interpretation of the command referring to making images for the
                > purpose of worship is backed up in Lev 26:1 -
                >
                > "You shall not make idols for yourselves or erect an image or pillar,
                > and you shall not set up a figured stone in your land to bow down to
                > it, for I am the Lord your God."
                >
                > where we are told that we aren't to make an image "to bow down to it."

                Using any image for any religious purpose is to bow down to it. Yes it
                is ok to knock up a statue of Knox or paint an image of Calvin but it
                is not ok to use them for religious purposes.

                > In 2 Ki 18:4 we see Hezekiah destroying the bronze serpent (a picture
                > of Christ). Though the image was permitted, the people started
                > worshiping it, and that is what broke the command and therefore caused
                > its destruction.

                Types of Christ are only found in and sanctioned by Scripture. Are you
                suggesting we can create new types of our Lord? Where is your biblical
                warrant. Where is your special revelation to create a bronze
                serpent?God no longer gives such revelations (Heb. 1:1-2). If images
                can be pictures or types, what about human beings? The Pope would
                agree with you.

                > Dr Frame also considers that permitting images in our mind of Jesus,
                > since He was in the flesh, keeps us from the heresy of Docetism.

                So without the use of images in the mind we are all prone to docetism?
                I am sure Calvin and Knox would be surprised at this revelation!

                Kind Regards,

                Gary
                covenantedreformation.com

> [...]
                > > reformed worship does not say much for that seminary's reformed
                > > theological discernment.
                > >

                > > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Bray"
                > > <larryicr@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Although i don't agree with all that Dr. Frame espouses, i most
                likely
                > > > don't agree with all of what any one man believes. I certainly think
                > > > that Dr. Frame falls within the pale of orthodoxy.
                > > >
                > > > Those who think that everyone must be on exactly the same page as
                > > > themselves have done great harm to the Church.
                > > >
                > > > For instance, i believe that theonomy goes too far in making the
                > > > application of the moral law normative, when it's really the
                moral law
                > > > itself that is normative. I think Dr. Frame goes to far the
                other way
                > > > in believing that even the normative moral law is...for lack of a

              • Larry Bray
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 9, 2008
                  I find it interesting that you speak of erecting images of Calvin, and
                  yet you condemn him as attacking Scripture (since he held to a
                  continental view of the Sabbath).

                  So i would presume that you wouldn't be o.k. with schools that Calvin
                  endorsed either...i guess i'm in good company then.

                  You say that using images for religious purposes is a violation...what
                  about the bronze serpent? Certainly that was used for religious
                  purposes...to point to Christ and show the healing power of God. Yet
                  it wasn't until the people actually worshiped it that it was a sin.

                  As to your last points...i do not advocate the use of images, i was
                  simply stating that Dr. Frame has come to a different conclusion - one
                  that i believe is wrong - and why he comes to his conclusions.

                  I can't think of anybody that would be "good enough" to give an
                  endorsement if that meant they had to agree on every point of
                  Scripture...and every point of it is important.

                  --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "ghowmil"
                  <garnetmilne@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > Reformation
                  > > > conflict between Protestantism and popery.
                  > > >
                  > > > Of course Frame and his defenders think all the above a non
                  > sequitur -
                  > > > as if Frame's methodology itself is rigorously logical, never mind
                  > > > confessional, which is yet another mark against him regardless
                  of what
                  > > > his "reformed" fans think. Others think it no small thing. Without
                  > > > apology I side with the latter.
                  > > >
                  > > > If a reformed seminary is to equip men to be able like the men of
                  > > > Issachar, to know the times and what Israel ought to do, an
                  > endorsement
                  > > > from a leading theologian of the day who has proudly, arrogantly and
                  > > > enthusiastically laid waste to the biblical and confessional
                  > doctrine of
                  > > > reformed worship does not say much for that seminary's reformed

                • Ic Neltococayotl
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 9, 2008
                    <larryicr@...> wrote:

                    > I find it interesting that you speak of erecting images of Calvin, and
                    > yet you condemn him as attacking Scripture (since he held to a
                    > continental view of the Sabbath).

                    Hi Larry.

                    Quick question.

                    What is your understanding of the "Continental view of the Sabbath"? On
                    what time period exactly is your definition guided or influenced by?

                    Thank you very much!

                    Edgar Ibarra
                    www.PresbiterianoReformado.org
                  • Gary Milne
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 9, 2008

                      Hi Larry, Here is Moses warrant (Nu 21:8,9.). Can you give me your revelation please? Of course you do not have to because you do not agree with JF. You say you disagree with Frame over images and yet you support him? If you disagree then you can only do so on biblical grounds. Can you kindly clarify whether you think it is right to make images of God or not? If you disagree with the use of images of God, do you do so on biblical grounds? What are those grounds?

                      As to Calvin and the Sabbath – Scholars disagree whether he held to the modern ‘continental view’ you are using as an example/analogy. However if Calvin or anyone else holds to a position which is not sanctioned by Scripture the he is wrong.

                      It is not a question over whether JF does not seek to argue from Scripture, but whether he does so successfully. He does not do so successfully and instead undermines a vital aspect of the Christian faith. No, Calvin did not undermine vital aspects of the Christian faith in my view.

                      Since you disagree with JF Larry, why are you being so defensive?

                      Here is Calvin on the 2nd commandment. I encourage you to read it and prepare to be edified.

                      Every blessing,

                      Gary

                      4. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image. In the First

                      Commandment, after He had taught who was the true God, He

                      commanded that He alone should e worshipped; and now He defines what

                      is HIS LEGITIMATE WORSHIP. Now, since these are two distinct things, we

                      conclude that the commandments are also distinct, in which different

                      things are treated of. The former indeed precedes in order, viz., that

                      believers are to be contented with one God; but it would not be sufficient

                      for us to be instructed to worship him alone, unless we also knew the

                      manner in which He would be worshipped. The sum is, that the worship

                      of God must be spiritual, in order that it may correspond with His nature.

                      For although Moses only speaks of idolatry, yet there is no doubt but that

                      by synecdoche, as in all the rest of the Law, he condemns all fictitious

                      services which men in their ingenuity have invented. For hence have arisen

                      the carnal mixtures whereby God’s worship has been profaned, that they

                      estimate Him according to their own reason, and thus in a manner

                      metamorphose Him. It is necessary, then, to remember what God is, lest

                      we should form any gross or earthly ideas respecting Him. The words

                      simply express that it is wrong f79 for men to seek the presence of God in

                      any visible image, because He cannot be represented to our eyes. The

                      command that they should not make any likeness, either of any thing

                      which is in heaven, or in the earth, or in the waters under the earth, is

                      derived from the evil custom which had everywhere prevailed; for, since

                      superstition is never uniform, but is drawn aside in various directions,

                      some thought that God was represented under the form of fishes, others

                      under that of birds, others in that of brutes; and history especially

                      recounts by what shameless delusions Egypt was led astray. And hence

                      too the vanity of men is declared, since, whithersoever they turn their

                      eyes, they everywhere lay hold of the materials of error, notwithstanding

                      that God’s glory shines on every side, and whatever is seen above or

                      below, invites us to the true God.

                      Since, therefore, men are thus deluded, so as to frame for themselves the

                      materials of error from all things they behold, Moses now elevates them

                      above the whole fabric and elements of the world; for by the things that

                      are “in heaven above,” he designates not only the birds, but the sun, and

                      the moon, and all the stars also; as will soon be seen. He declares, then,

                      that a true image of God is not to be found in all the world; and hence that

                      His glory is defiled, and His truth corrupted by the lie, whenever He is set

                      before our eyes in a visible form. Now we must remark, that there are two

                      parts in the Commandment — the first forbids the erection of a graven

                      image, or any likeness; the second prohibits the transferring of the worship

                      which God claims for Himself alone, to any of these phantoms or delusive

                      shows. Therefore, to devise any image of God, is in itself impious; because

                      by this corruption His Majesty is adulterated, and He is figured to be

                      other than He is. There is no need of refuting the foolish fancy of some,

                      that all sculptures and pictures are here condemned by Moses, for he had

                      no other object than to rescue God’s glory from all the imaginations which

                      tend to corrupt it. And assuredly it is a most gross indecency to make God

                      like a stock or a stone. Some expound the words, “Thou shalt not make to

                      thyself a graven image, which thou mayest adore;” f80 as if it were

                      allowable to make a visible image of God, provided it be not adored; but

                      the expositions which will follow will easily refute their error.

                      href="mailto:covenantedreformationclub%40yahoogroups.com">covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Bray"

                      href="mailto:covenantedreformationclub%40yahoogroups.com">covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "bob_suden"

                      href="mailto:covenantedreformationclub%40yahoogroups.com">covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Fraas"

                      > > > figure
                      draw
                      students.
                      > > > An
                      > would
                      else are
                      they
                      > were
                      > endorsement
                      Barak.

                    • Larry Bray
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 9, 2008
                        I believe that images of God, any person of the Triunity, are against
                        God's will and a sin.

                        I wasn't defending Frame's position, simply giving his reasons for the
                        position, which were derived from Scripture.

                        Reading Calvin's work i don't think that he held to the Sabbatarian
                        view that the Westminster Standards adhere to. I adhere to the
                        Westminster view.

                        There is not one person who doesn't hold to a wrong view...that was my
                        initial point in saying that i most likely don't agree 100% with
                        anyone's theology. That doesn't mean that they aren't brothers in
                        Christ, not does it mean that i would spurn their endorsement of godly
                        education.

                        The Sabbath of God is part of the same commandments that idolatry is a
                        part of. I would never suggest, as you have, that the Sabbath command
                        is not vital but the idolatry command is. We don't have the authority
                        to pick and choose what we consider vital "parts" of the
                        Scripture...they are all vital.

                        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Milne"
                        <garnetmilne@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        >
                        > shows. Therefore, to devise any image of God, is in itself impious;
                        because

                        > by this corruption His Majesty is adulterated, and He is figured to be
                        >
                        > other than He is. There is no need of refuting the foolish fancy of
                        some,

                        > that all sculptures and pictures are here condemned by Moses, for he had
                        >
                        > no other object than to rescue God's glory from all the imaginations
                        which

                        > tend to corrupt it. And assuredly it is a most gross indecency to
                        make God

                        > like a stock or a stone. Some expound the words, "Thou shalt not make to
                        >
                        > thyself a graven image, which thou mayest adore;" f80 as if it were
                        >
                        > allowable to make a visible image of God, provided it be not adored; but
                        >
                        > the expositions which will follow will easily refute their error.

                        Larry Bray
                        > Sent: Sunday, 10 August 2008 8:45 a.m.
                        > To: covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: The North American Reformed
                        Seminary
> [...]
                        > > other way

                        > <mailto:covenantedreformationclub%40yahoogroups.com> , "bob_suden"

                        > > premier

                        > > of the
                        > > but he
                        > result Rom.
                        > that an
                        > party

                        > > hacking away
                        > > jewels, i.e.
                        > Vision cut

                        <http://reformedveritas.blogspot.com/2007/10/federal-visions-fraudulent-\

                        <http://reformedveritas.blogspot.com/2007/10/federal-visions-fraudulent->

                        > regardless if
                        Distort,
                        > > position
                        > > can't
                        > > his part
                        > > which is

                        > <mailto:covenantedreformationclub%40yahoogroups.com> , "Dan Fraas"

                      • bob_suden
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 9, 2008
                          <larryicr@...> wrote:

                          > Frankly, i am glad that we don't attract people such as yourself who
                          > have so much enmity for others in the Body of Christ.

                          Come on, Larry. You can do better than than taking cheap shots and
                          making snide remarks. I might just as well say look in the mirror. You
                          yourself said that what could be called Frame's antinomian or libertine
                          view of the moral law troubled you. But nobody else can be bothered
                          about Frame's theology?
                          Anyway.

                          > First let me just say that Dr. Frame is anything but arrogant.

                          Garnett nailed it when he referred to "academic arrogance." I've never
                          seen a guy so blithely ignore the confession all the while he claims to
                          uphold it - at least in spirit, if not in substance or something like
                          that - as JF does, all the while in his humble opinion it is wrong.
                          Well, if it is, he has no business saying so outside of the church
                          courts in that he is sworn to uphold at least the WCF. Yet we see no end
                          of popular evangelical theology lite literature gushing forth from his
                          word processor contradicting or questioning the WCF. Evidently the 3rd
                          and 9th commandment are, as you say, "bendable".

                          > You claim that his teaching on images of Christ is an attack on
                          > Scripture. Do you also believe that teachings outside of the
                          > Westminster Standards like the continental view on the Sabbath is also
                          > an attack on Scripture?

                          There was and is progress in the truth. The West. Stands. are the last
                          of the great Reformation confessions and supersede what went before IMO.
                          Further, what is called the continental view at least had a scriptural
                          argument for it. Now days what is called the continental view would more
                          correctly be called the personally convenient view.

                          > Dr. Frame uses Scripture to back up his teaching on images of Christ.
                          > His interpretation of the command referring to making images for the
                          > purpose of worship is backed up in Lev 26:1 -

                          No, Frame abuses and misuses Scripture, as well as reason. As below,
                          since God can command an image to be made, ipso facto so too can man.

                          > "You shall not make idols for yourselves or erect an image or pillar,
                          > and you shall not set up a figured stone in your land to bow down to
                          > it, for I am the Lord your God."
                          >
                          > where we are told that we aren't to make an image "to bow down to it."
                          >
                          > In 2 Ki 18:4 we see Hezekiah destroying the bronze serpent (a picture
                          > of Christ). Though the image was permitted, the people started
                          > worshiping it, and that is what broke the command and therefore caused
                          > its destruction.

                          Above and beyond that, in the larger context again, Frame and the rest
                          of the Federal Vision bunch have bought into the fundamental
                          presupposition - and have persistently affirmed it - that since we
                          have an example of an image in Scripture commanded by God, ergo we are
                          permitted to do the same, be it images in the temple or the bronze
                          serpent or where ever. But note bene, this is a non sequitur - it does
                          not follow. It is to arrogate and presume that what God is permitted to
                          do, we are also permitted to do, i.e it is theological confusion.

                          But we are not God nor may we presume his prerogatives in worship or
                          anything else, however novel that stricture might sound to JF and the
                          FV boys. Hence my use of the term arrogant to describe JF's attempt to
                          hijack the RPW and hoodwink the reformed church, which object he might
                          seem to have accomplished respectfully IMO if this conversation is any
                          example.

                          > Dr Frame also considers that permitting images in our mind of Jesus,
                          > since He was in the flesh, keeps us from the heresy of Docetism.

                          But James (Roll) Jordan (Roll) in a typical overheated moment, called
                          the RPW and those who would defend it, examples of "Liturgical
                          Nestorianism". So what? "Doktor" Frame can consider what he likes, but
                          by this time after one has heard his typically casual and sloppy
                          arguments majoring in blather on the RPW etc, he doesn't have much
                          credibility. Much more as usual he offers no substantial and solid
                          reasoning for his opinion other than it is just that, his considered
                          opinion.

                          Well, thank you very much, but I expect more from a reformed
                          theological professor than your average Joe Blow evangelical enthusiast,
                          which is who his remarks might reasonably lead one to believe made
                          them. Either that or more likely a theological quack.

                          cordially in the Word, not the picture, become flesh
                          Bob S.