Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: The E-Mail from Holland

  • Larry Bump
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 9, 2008
      peterreynoldsbookseller wrote:
      > As someone who has spent a little time around a few Dutch people and
      > speaks Dutch, I can assure you that Dutch people use the word Holland
      > as a synonym of Nederland, as well as to refer to Noord-Holland and
      > Zuid-Holland.

      Thank you for that.
      But it is so *imprecise*, you know?
    • Deejay
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 9, 2008

        Hi Larry,  and Peter,

        (Jerry quit being insular!-Tsk!)

        I’m sure it’s likely there is a very sound reason within Holland, of why it is thought of predominantly as the Netherlands in some other countries, but not the country in question,  itself.   It is, I would imagine a cultural thing. In that it is very precise to the Dutch and only appears otherwise to other countries. After all, it’s their country, so they should know.  It’s only a guess, but it seems likely. We Englanders say Holland too. But it’s probably just a European thing.

        ~Deejay

        > As someone who has spent a little time around a few Dutch people and
        > speaks Dutch, I can assure you that Dutch people use the word Holland
        > as a synonym of Nederland, as well as to refer to Noord-Holland and
        > Zuid-Holland.

        Thank you for that.

      • Big Ears
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 10, 2008
          Hello,
          Not sure of what all this about but Ek Se here is a link,

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands_(terminology)

          David
        • Larry Bump
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 10, 2008
            Deejay wrote:
            > I’m sure it’s likely there is a very sound reason within Holland, of why
            > it is thought of predominantly as the Netherlands in some other
            > countries, but not the country in question, itself. It is, I would
            > imagine a cultural thing. In that it is very precise to the Dutch and
            > only appears otherwise to other countries. After all, it’s their
            > country, so they should know. It’s only a guess, but it seems likely.
            > We Englanders say Holland too. But it’s probably just a European thing.

            It's funny that they do so, but if you call a Brit (not from England
            proper) English they get all bothered.
            Or when you Brits call all Americans "Yanks". The southern half of us
            don't care for that one bit...

            ;-)

            Larry