[Covenanted Reformation] Re: The E-Mail from Holland

  • peterreynoldsbookseller
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 9, 2008
      As someone who has spent a little time around a few Dutch people and
      speaks Dutch, I can assure you that Dutch people use the word Holland
      as a synonym of Nederland, as well as to refer to Noord-Holland and
      Zuid-Holland.

      Peter Reynolds
      =====================
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Larry Bump
      <lbump@...> wrote:

      > Jerry wrote:
      > > Holland's still a country, right?
      > >

      > Not really, no. It is the name of two provinces in The Netherlands.
      >
      > Breda is a city in North Brabant, so no; the email is not from
      Holland.

    • Larry Bump
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 9, 2008
        peterreynoldsbookseller wrote:
        > As someone who has spent a little time around a few Dutch people and
        > speaks Dutch, I can assure you that Dutch people use the word Holland
        > as a synonym of Nederland, as well as to refer to Noord-Holland and
        > Zuid-Holland.

        Thank you for that.
        But it is so *imprecise*, you know?
      • Deejay
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 9, 2008

          Hi Larry,  and Peter,

          (Jerry quit being insular!-Tsk!)

          I’m sure it’s likely there is a very sound reason within Holland, of why it is thought of predominantly as the Netherlands in some other countries, but not the country in question,  itself.   It is, I would imagine a cultural thing. In that it is very precise to the Dutch and only appears otherwise to other countries. After all, it’s their country, so they should know.  It’s only a guess, but it seems likely. We Englanders say Holland too. But it’s probably just a European thing.

          ~Deejay

          > As someone who has spent a little time around a few Dutch people and
          > speaks Dutch, I can assure you that Dutch people use the word Holland
          > as a synonym of Nederland, as well as to refer to Noord-Holland and
          > Zuid-Holland.

          Thank you for that.

        • Big Ears
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 10, 2008
            Hello,
            Not sure of what all this about but Ek Se here is a link,

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands_(terminology)

            David
          • Larry Bump
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 10, 2008
              Deejay wrote:
              > I’m sure it’s likely there is a very sound reason within Holland, of why
              > it is thought of predominantly as the Netherlands in some other
              > countries, but not the country in question, itself. It is, I would
              > imagine a cultural thing. In that it is very precise to the Dutch and
              > only appears otherwise to other countries. After all, it’s their
              > country, so they should know. It’s only a guess, but it seems likely.
              > We Englanders say Holland too. But it’s probably just a European thing.

              It's funny that they do so, but if you call a Brit (not from England
              proper) English they get all bothered.
              Or when you Brits call all Americans "Yanks". The southern half of us
              don't care for that one bit...

              ;-)

              Larry