Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: The E-Mail from Holland

  • Samantha E
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 3, 2008
      Edgar wrote: "yeah, one of'dem ur-a-pe-in nations..."

      Edgar,
      You are priceless!
      ~Samantha

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 3, 2008
        <ragingcalvinist@...> wrote:

        > i don't know what this about.

        That's always a safe response, Jerry!
        I know nothing.

        > gmw
        >
        > Ic Neltococayotl wrote:
        > >
        > > I take it everyone here got that e-mail from Holland from Dennis?
        > >
        > > So, Dennis, what is the point? I am just wonderng why we all got
        it (I suppose to show the content that Bob deleted from his blog?)?

        > > I personally was unaware of that discussion on that
        blog...actually did not even know there was a place to post on Bob's
        blog!

        > > Edgar

        Better check the battery and warranty for that decoder ring, Edgar.

        Seriously as regards the Dutch email, to a boy with a hammer,
        everything is a nail. Because I do not agree with or understand Mr.
        Grutzmacher 100%, I am a papist or a promoter thereof.

        For instance, some of those excommunicated by the RPNA(GM) have joined
        churches, such as the OPC, URC, RPCNA etc. which deny the consensus
        view of the Reformation that the Pope is the Antichrist.
        Yet to my reply that it does not follow that to deny the extraordinary
        telephone session of the RPNA(GM) is to necessarily deny the
        Reformation witness against the papacy, Dennis descends further IMO
        into menacing and incoherent bile.

        In other words, when someone is given an opportunity/is requested to
        explain their comments and they vehemently refuse to do so, I avail
        myself of the little garbage can icon for their comments. And someone
        doesn't like that.

        Of course in all this, Mr. Grutzmacher or others even, may think my
        comments too flippant. If so, I respectfully refer them to Prov. 14:13:

        Even in laughter the heart is sorrowful; and the end of that mirth is
        heaviness.

        cordially in Christ,
        Bob S.
      • peterreynoldsbookseller
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 9, 2008
          As someone who has spent a little time around a few Dutch people and
          speaks Dutch, I can assure you that Dutch people use the word Holland
          as a synonym of Nederland, as well as to refer to Noord-Holland and
          Zuid-Holland.

          Peter Reynolds
          =====================
          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Larry Bump
          <lbump@...> wrote:

          > Jerry wrote:
          > > Holland's still a country, right?
          > >

          > Not really, no. It is the name of two provinces in The Netherlands.
          >
          > Breda is a city in North Brabant, so no; the email is not from
          Holland.

        • Larry Bump
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 9, 2008
            peterreynoldsbookseller wrote:
            > As someone who has spent a little time around a few Dutch people and
            > speaks Dutch, I can assure you that Dutch people use the word Holland
            > as a synonym of Nederland, as well as to refer to Noord-Holland and
            > Zuid-Holland.

            Thank you for that.
            But it is so *imprecise*, you know?
          • Deejay
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 9, 2008

              Hi Larry,  and Peter,

              (Jerry quit being insular!-Tsk!)

              I’m sure it’s likely there is a very sound reason within Holland, of why it is thought of predominantly as the Netherlands in some other countries, but not the country in question,  itself.   It is, I would imagine a cultural thing. In that it is very precise to the Dutch and only appears otherwise to other countries. After all, it’s their country, so they should know.  It’s only a guess, but it seems likely. We Englanders say Holland too. But it’s probably just a European thing.

              ~Deejay

              > As someone who has spent a little time around a few Dutch people and
              > speaks Dutch, I can assure you that Dutch people use the word Holland
              > as a synonym of Nederland, as well as to refer to Noord-Holland and
              > Zuid-Holland.

              Thank you for that.

            • Big Ears
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 10, 2008
                Hello,
                Not sure of what all this about but Ek Se here is a link,

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands_(terminology)

                David
              • Larry Bump
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 10, 2008
                  Deejay wrote:
                  > I’m sure it’s likely there is a very sound reason within Holland, of why
                  > it is thought of predominantly as the Netherlands in some other
                  > countries, but not the country in question, itself. It is, I would
                  > imagine a cultural thing. In that it is very precise to the Dutch and
                  > only appears otherwise to other countries. After all, it’s their
                  > country, so they should know. It’s only a guess, but it seems likely.
                  > We Englanders say Holland too. But it’s probably just a European thing.

                  It's funny that they do so, but if you call a Brit (not from England
                  proper) English they get all bothered.
                  Or when you Brits call all Americans "Yanks". The southern half of us
                  don't care for that one bit...

                  ;-)

                  Larry