Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: The E-Mail from Holland

  • Larry Bump
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 3, 2008
      Ic Neltococayotl wrote:

      > Working at DHL as one of the customs inspectors, our book under
      > "Holland" says, "see The Netherlands". I guess many fall under the same
      > assumption still??

      I only know because a friend from eastern NL (Groningen, I think) didn't
      like people calling him a Hollander.

      > Thanks again.

      You're welcome.
    • Samantha E
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 3, 2008
        Edgar wrote: "yeah, one of'dem ur-a-pe-in nations..."

        Edgar,
        You are priceless!
        ~Samantha

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 3, 2008
          Flemish Giant & Netherlands Dwarf:

          http://tinyurl.com/35zqwb

          > Part of NL, I believe was Flanders (were they call themselves
          Flemish).
        • bob_suden
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 3, 2008
            <ragingcalvinist@...> wrote:

            > i don't know what this about.

            That's always a safe response, Jerry!
            I know nothing.

            > gmw
            >
            > Ic Neltococayotl wrote:
            > >
            > > I take it everyone here got that e-mail from Holland from Dennis?
            > >
            > > So, Dennis, what is the point? I am just wonderng why we all got
            it (I suppose to show the content that Bob deleted from his blog?)?

            > > I personally was unaware of that discussion on that
            blog...actually did not even know there was a place to post on Bob's
            blog!

            > > Edgar

            Better check the battery and warranty for that decoder ring, Edgar.

            Seriously as regards the Dutch email, to a boy with a hammer,
            everything is a nail. Because I do not agree with or understand Mr.
            Grutzmacher 100%, I am a papist or a promoter thereof.

            For instance, some of those excommunicated by the RPNA(GM) have joined
            churches, such as the OPC, URC, RPCNA etc. which deny the consensus
            view of the Reformation that the Pope is the Antichrist.
            Yet to my reply that it does not follow that to deny the extraordinary
            telephone session of the RPNA(GM) is to necessarily deny the
            Reformation witness against the papacy, Dennis descends further IMO
            into menacing and incoherent bile.

            In other words, when someone is given an opportunity/is requested to
            explain their comments and they vehemently refuse to do so, I avail
            myself of the little garbage can icon for their comments. And someone
            doesn't like that.

            Of course in all this, Mr. Grutzmacher or others even, may think my
            comments too flippant. If so, I respectfully refer them to Prov. 14:13:

            Even in laughter the heart is sorrowful; and the end of that mirth is
            heaviness.

            cordially in Christ,
            Bob S.
          • peterreynoldsbookseller
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 9, 2008
              As someone who has spent a little time around a few Dutch people and
              speaks Dutch, I can assure you that Dutch people use the word Holland
              as a synonym of Nederland, as well as to refer to Noord-Holland and
              Zuid-Holland.

              Peter Reynolds
              =====================
              --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Larry Bump
              <lbump@...> wrote:

              > Jerry wrote:
              > > Holland's still a country, right?
              > >

              > Not really, no. It is the name of two provinces in The Netherlands.
              >
              > Breda is a city in North Brabant, so no; the email is not from
              Holland.

            • Larry Bump
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 9, 2008
                peterreynoldsbookseller wrote:
                > As someone who has spent a little time around a few Dutch people and
                > speaks Dutch, I can assure you that Dutch people use the word Holland
                > as a synonym of Nederland, as well as to refer to Noord-Holland and
                > Zuid-Holland.

                Thank you for that.
                But it is so *imprecise*, you know?
              • Deejay
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 9, 2008

                  Hi Larry,  and Peter,

                  (Jerry quit being insular!-Tsk!)

                  I’m sure it’s likely there is a very sound reason within Holland, of why it is thought of predominantly as the Netherlands in some other countries, but not the country in question,  itself.   It is, I would imagine a cultural thing. In that it is very precise to the Dutch and only appears otherwise to other countries. After all, it’s their country, so they should know.  It’s only a guess, but it seems likely. We Englanders say Holland too. But it’s probably just a European thing.

                  ~Deejay

                  > As someone who has spent a little time around a few Dutch people and
                  > speaks Dutch, I can assure you that Dutch people use the word Holland
                  > as a synonym of Nederland, as well as to refer to Noord-Holland and
                  > Zuid-Holland.

                  Thank you for that.

                • Big Ears
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 10, 2008
                    Hello,
                    Not sure of what all this about but Ek Se here is a link,

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands_(terminology)

                    David
                  • Larry Bump
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 10, 2008
                      Deejay wrote:
                      > I’m sure it’s likely there is a very sound reason within Holland, of why
                      > it is thought of predominantly as the Netherlands in some other
                      > countries, but not the country in question, itself. It is, I would
                      > imagine a cultural thing. In that it is very precise to the Dutch and
                      > only appears otherwise to other countries. After all, it’s their
                      > country, so they should know. It’s only a guess, but it seems likely.
                      > We Englanders say Holland too. But it’s probably just a European thing.

                      It's funny that they do so, but if you call a Brit (not from England
                      proper) English they get all bothered.
                      Or when you Brits call all Americans "Yanks". The southern half of us
                      don't care for that one bit...

                      ;-)

                      Larry