[Covenanted Reformation] Re: The E-Mail from Holland

  • Ic Neltococayotl
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 3 5:02 AM
      yeah, one of'dem ur-a-pe-in nations...

      where everything goes...

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Jerry
      <ragingcalvinist@...> wrote:

      > Holland's still a country, right?
      >
      > gmw.
      >
      > simon_padbury wrote:
      > >
      > > I didn't even know Bob had a blog.
      > >
      > > And who is Dennis?
      > >
      > > !
      > >
      > > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
      > > <mailto:covenantedreformationclub%40yahoogroups.com>, Jerry
      > > ragingcalvinist@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > i don't know what this about.
      > > >
      > > > gmw

      Dennis?

      > > it (I

      > > blog...actually did

    • Ic Neltococayotl
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 3 5:03 AM
        =D>

        (I had to use my decoder ring to make sure...)

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Jerry <ragingcalvinist@...> wrote:

        > Holland's still a country, right?
        >
        > gmw.
        >
        > simon_padbury wrote:
        > >
        > > I didn't even know Bob had a blog.
        > >
        > > And who is Dennis?
        > >
        > > !
        > >
        > > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
        > > <mailto:covenantedreformationclub%40yahoogroups.com>, Jerry
        > > ragingcalvinist@ wrote:
        > > >
        > > > i don't know what this about.
        > > >
        > > > gmw

        > > it (I

        > > blog...actually did

      • Lynn
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 3 5:10 AM
          I'm not sure what email is being talked about....<???>
        • Larry Bump
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 3 12:42 PM
            Jerry wrote:
            > Holland's still a country, right?

            Not really, no. It is the name of two provinces in The Netherlands.

            Breda is a city in North Brabant, so no; the email is not from Holland.
          • Ic Neltococayotl
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 3 1:48 PM

              Larry,

              Are not the Netherlands and Holland synonymous?   If not, my bad!

              Then where is Holland if not?  I didn't think that was a city...

              ( =D> I think they are though).

              Edgar

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 3 2:10 PM
                Ic Neltococayotl wrote:
                > Larry,
                >
                > Are not the Netherlands and Holland synonymous? If not, my bad!
                >
                > Then where is Holland if not? I didn't think that was a city...
                >
                > ( =D> I think they are though).

                No; South Holland and North Holland are provinces in the west of the
                nation called The Netherlands (The Low-Lands).

                At one time most of what is the NetherLands (NL from now on) was part of
                the Habsburg empire. Holland was one of the first areas independent
                during the revolt.
                -----------------------------

                From Wikipedia

                Holland's prominence in the United Provinces and Dutch Republic

                In 1432 Holland became part of the Burgundian Netherlands and since 1477
                of the Habsburg Seventeen Provinces. In the 16th century the region
                became more densely urbanised, with the majority of the population
                living in cities. Within the Burgundian Netherlands, Holland was the
                dominant province in the north; the political influence of Holland
                largely determined the extent of Burgundian dominion in that area.
                Comitatus Hollandiae (1682)
                Comitatus Hollandiae (1682)

                In the Dutch Rebellion against the Habsburgs during the Eighty Years'
                War, the naval forces of the rebels, the Watergeuzen, established their
                first permanent base in 1572 in the town of Brill. In this way, Holland,
                now a sovereign state in a larger Dutch confederation, became the centre
                of the rebellion. It became the the cultural, political and economic
                centre of the United Provinces in the 17th century Dutch Golden Age, the
                wealthiest nation in the world. After the the King of Spain was deposed
                as the count of Holland, the executive and legislative power rested with
                the States of Holland, which was led by a political figure who held the
                office of Grand Pensionary.

                The largest cities in the Dutch Republic were in the province of Holland
                such as Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Leiden, Alkmaar, The Hague, Delft and
                Haarlem. From the great ports of Holland, Hollandic merchants sailed to
                and from destinations all over Europe, and merchants from all over
                Europe gathered to trade in the warehouses of Amsterdam and other
                trading cities of Holland.

                Many Europeans thought of the United Provinces first as "Holland" rather
                than as the "Republic of the Seven United Provinces of the Netherlands".
                A strong impression of "Holland" was planted in the minds of other
                Europeans, which then was projected back onto the Republic as a whole.
                Within the provinces themselves, a gradual slow process of cultural
                expansion took place, leading to a "Hollandification" of the other
                provinces and a more uniform culture for the whole of the Republic. The
                dialect of urban Holland became the standard language.

                [edit] Kingdom of Holland

                The formation of the Batavian Republic, inspired by the French
                revolution, led to a more centralised government. Holland became a
                province of a unitary state. Its independence was further reduced by an
                administrative reform in 1798, in which its territory was divided into
                several departments called Amstel, Delf, Texel, and part of Schelde en Maas.

                From 1806 to 1810 Napoleon styled his vassal state, governed by his
                brother Louis Napoleon and shortly by the son of Louis, Napoleon Louis
                Bonaparte, as the "Kingdom of Holland". This kingdom encompassed much of
                what would become the modern Netherlands. The name reflects how natural
                at the time it had become to equate Holland with the Netherlands as a
                whole.[2]

                During the period the Low Countries were annexed by the French Empire
                and actually incorporated into France (from 1810 to 1813), Holland was
                divided into the départements Zuyderzée and Bouches-de-la-Meuse.
              • Ic Neltococayotl
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 3 2:19 PM
                  Thank you Larry!!!

                  > Many Europeans thought of the United Provinces first as "Holland"
                  rather
                  > than as the "Republic of the Seven United Provinces of the
                  Netherlands".
                  > A strong impression of "Holland" was planted in the minds of other
                  > Europeans, which then was projected back onto the Republic as a whole.

                  While not a European myself, I too fall (fell-since your correction)
                  under the above description.

                  Working at DHL as one of the customs inspectors, our book under
                  "Holland" says, "see The Netherlands". I guess many fall under the same
                  assumption still??

                  Thanks again.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 3 2:30 PM
                    Ic Neltococayotl wrote:

                    > Working at DHL as one of the customs inspectors, our book under
                    > "Holland" says, "see The Netherlands". I guess many fall under the same
                    > assumption still??

                    I only know because a friend from eastern NL (Groningen, I think) didn't
                    like people calling him a Hollander.

                    > Thanks again.

                    You're welcome.
                  • Samantha E
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 3 3:52 PM
                      Edgar wrote: "yeah, one of'dem ur-a-pe-in nations..."

                      Edgar,
                      You are priceless!
                      ~Samantha

                      > > <mailto:covenantedr eformationclub% 40yahoogroups. com>, Jerry
                      > > ragingcalvinist@ wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > i don't know what this about.
                      > > >
                      > > > gmw

                      Dennis?

                      > > it (I

                      > > blog...actually did

                    • bander1643
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 3 4:56 PM
                        Flemish Giant & Netherlands Dwarf:

                        http://tinyurl.com/35zqwb

                        > Part of NL, I believe was Flanders (were they call themselves
                        Flemish).
                      • bob_suden
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 3 10:40 PM
                          <ragingcalvinist@...> wrote:

                          > i don't know what this about.

                          That's always a safe response, Jerry!
                          I know nothing.

                          > gmw
                          >
                          > Ic Neltococayotl wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I take it everyone here got that e-mail from Holland from Dennis?
                          > >
                          > > So, Dennis, what is the point? I am just wonderng why we all got
                          it (I suppose to show the content that Bob deleted from his blog?)?

                          > > I personally was unaware of that discussion on that
                          blog...actually did not even know there was a place to post on Bob's
                          blog!

                          > > Edgar

                          Better check the battery and warranty for that decoder ring, Edgar.

                          Seriously as regards the Dutch email, to a boy with a hammer,
                          everything is a nail. Because I do not agree with or understand Mr.
                          Grutzmacher 100%, I am a papist or a promoter thereof.

                          For instance, some of those excommunicated by the RPNA(GM) have joined
                          churches, such as the OPC, URC, RPCNA etc. which deny the consensus
                          view of the Reformation that the Pope is the Antichrist.
                          Yet to my reply that it does not follow that to deny the extraordinary
                          telephone session of the RPNA(GM) is to necessarily deny the
                          Reformation witness against the papacy, Dennis descends further IMO
                          into menacing and incoherent bile.

                          In other words, when someone is given an opportunity/is requested to
                          explain their comments and they vehemently refuse to do so, I avail
                          myself of the little garbage can icon for their comments. And someone
                          doesn't like that.

                          Of course in all this, Mr. Grutzmacher or others even, may think my
                          comments too flippant. If so, I respectfully refer them to Prov. 14:13:

                          Even in laughter the heart is sorrowful; and the end of that mirth is
                          heaviness.

                          cordially in Christ,
                          Bob S.
                        • peterreynoldsbookseller
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 9 3:05 PM
                            As someone who has spent a little time around a few Dutch people and
                            speaks Dutch, I can assure you that Dutch people use the word Holland
                            as a synonym of Nederland, as well as to refer to Noord-Holland and
                            Zuid-Holland.

                            Peter Reynolds
                            =====================

                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 9 5:34 PM
                              peterreynoldsbookseller wrote:
                              > As someone who has spent a little time around a few Dutch people and
                              > speaks Dutch, I can assure you that Dutch people use the word Holland
                              > as a synonym of Nederland, as well as to refer to Noord-Holland and
                              > Zuid-Holland.

                              Thank you for that.
                              But it is so *imprecise*, you know?
                            • Deejay
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 9 9:33 PM

                                Hi Larry,  and Peter,

                                (Jerry quit being insular!-Tsk!)

                                I’m sure it’s likely there is a very sound reason within Holland, of why it is thought of predominantly as the Netherlands in some other countries, but not the country in question,  itself.   It is, I would imagine a cultural thing. In that it is very precise to the Dutch and only appears otherwise to other countries. After all, it’s their country, so they should know.  It’s only a guess, but it seems likely. We Englanders say Holland too. But it’s probably just a European thing.

                                ~Deejay

                                > As someone who has spent a little time around a few Dutch people and
                                > speaks Dutch, I can assure you that Dutch people use the word Holland
                                > as a synonym of Nederland, as well as to refer to Noord-Holland and
                                > Zuid-Holland.

                                Thank you for that.

                              • Big Ears
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 10 7:22 AM
                                  Hello,
                                  Not sure of what all this about but Ek Se here is a link,

                                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands_(terminology)

                                  David
                                • Larry Bump
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 10 8:56 AM
                                    Deejay wrote:
                                    > I’m sure it’s likely there is a very sound reason within Holland, of why
                                    > it is thought of predominantly as the Netherlands in some other
                                    > countries, but not the country in question, itself. It is, I would
                                    > imagine a cultural thing. In that it is very precise to the Dutch and
                                    > only appears otherwise to other countries. After all, it’s their
                                    > country, so they should know. It’s only a guess, but it seems likely.
                                    > We Englanders say Holland too. But it’s probably just a European thing.

                                    It's funny that they do so, but if you call a Brit (not from England
                                    proper) English they get all bothered.
                                    Or when you Brits call all Americans "Yanks". The southern half of us
                                    don't care for that one bit...

                                    ;-)

                                    Larry