Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: The E-Mail from Holland

  • Jerry
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 3, 2008
      Holland's still a country, right?

      gmw.

      simon_padbury wrote:

      I didn't even know Bob had a blog.

      And who is Dennis?

      !

      --- In covenantedreformati onclub@yahoogrou ps.com, Jerry
      <ragingcalvinist@ ...> wrote:

      > i don't know what this about.
      >
      > gmw
      >
      > Ic Neltococayotl wrote:
      > >

      > > I take it everyone here got that e-mail from Holland from Dennis?
      > >
      > > So, Dennis, what is the point? I am just wonderng why we all got
      it (I
      > > suppose to show the content that Bob deleted from his blog?)?
      > >
      > > I personally was unaware of that discussion on that
      blog...actually did
      > > not even know there was a place to post on Bob's blog!
      > >
      > > Edgar

    • Ic Neltococayotl
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 3, 2008
        yeah, one of'dem ur-a-pe-in nations...

        where everything goes...

        <ragingcalvinist@...> wrote:

        > Holland's still a country, right?
        >
        > gmw.
        >
        > simon_padbury wrote:
        > >
        > > I didn't even know Bob had a blog.
        > >
        > > And who is Dennis?
        > >
        > > !
        > >
        > > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
        > > <mailto:covenantedreformationclub%40yahoogroups.com>, Jerry
        > > ragingcalvinist@ wrote:
        > > >
        > > > i don't know what this about.
        > > >
        > > > gmw

        Dennis?

        > > it (I

        > > blog...actually did

      • Ic Neltococayotl
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 3, 2008
          =D>

          (I had to use my decoder ring to make sure...)

          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Jerry <ragingcalvinist@...> wrote:

          > Holland's still a country, right?
          >
          > gmw.
          >
          > simon_padbury wrote:
          > >
          > > I didn't even know Bob had a blog.
          > >
          > > And who is Dennis?
          > >
          > > !
          > >
          > > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
          > > <mailto:covenantedreformationclub%40yahoogroups.com>, Jerry
          > > ragingcalvinist@ wrote:
          > > >
          > > > i don't know what this about.
          > > >
          > > > gmw

          > > it (I

          > > blog...actually did

        • Lynn
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 3, 2008
            I'm not sure what email is being talked about....<???>
          • Larry Bump
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 3, 2008
              Jerry wrote:
              > Holland's still a country, right?

              Not really, no. It is the name of two provinces in The Netherlands.

              Breda is a city in North Brabant, so no; the email is not from Holland.
            • Ic Neltococayotl
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 3, 2008

                Larry,

                Are not the Netherlands and Holland synonymous?   If not, my bad!

                Then where is Holland if not?  I didn't think that was a city...

                ( =D> I think they are though).

                Edgar

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 3, 2008
                  Ic Neltococayotl wrote:
                  > Larry,
                  >
                  > Are not the Netherlands and Holland synonymous? If not, my bad!
                  >
                  > Then where is Holland if not? I didn't think that was a city...
                  >
                  > ( =D> I think they are though).

                  No; South Holland and North Holland are provinces in the west of the
                  nation called The Netherlands (The Low-Lands).

                  At one time most of what is the NetherLands (NL from now on) was part of
                  the Habsburg empire. Holland was one of the first areas independent
                  during the revolt.
                  -----------------------------

                  From Wikipedia

                  Holland's prominence in the United Provinces and Dutch Republic

                  In 1432 Holland became part of the Burgundian Netherlands and since 1477
                  of the Habsburg Seventeen Provinces. In the 16th century the region
                  became more densely urbanised, with the majority of the population
                  living in cities. Within the Burgundian Netherlands, Holland was the
                  dominant province in the north; the political influence of Holland
                  largely determined the extent of Burgundian dominion in that area.
                  Comitatus Hollandiae (1682)
                  Comitatus Hollandiae (1682)

                  In the Dutch Rebellion against the Habsburgs during the Eighty Years'
                  War, the naval forces of the rebels, the Watergeuzen, established their
                  first permanent base in 1572 in the town of Brill. In this way, Holland,
                  now a sovereign state in a larger Dutch confederation, became the centre
                  of the rebellion. It became the the cultural, political and economic
                  centre of the United Provinces in the 17th century Dutch Golden Age, the
                  wealthiest nation in the world. After the the King of Spain was deposed
                  as the count of Holland, the executive and legislative power rested with
                  the States of Holland, which was led by a political figure who held the
                  office of Grand Pensionary.

                  The largest cities in the Dutch Republic were in the province of Holland
                  such as Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Leiden, Alkmaar, The Hague, Delft and
                  Haarlem. From the great ports of Holland, Hollandic merchants sailed to
                  and from destinations all over Europe, and merchants from all over
                  Europe gathered to trade in the warehouses of Amsterdam and other
                  trading cities of Holland.

                  Many Europeans thought of the United Provinces first as "Holland" rather
                  than as the "Republic of the Seven United Provinces of the Netherlands".
                  A strong impression of "Holland" was planted in the minds of other
                  Europeans, which then was projected back onto the Republic as a whole.
                  Within the provinces themselves, a gradual slow process of cultural
                  expansion took place, leading to a "Hollandification" of the other
                  provinces and a more uniform culture for the whole of the Republic. The
                  dialect of urban Holland became the standard language.

                  [edit] Kingdom of Holland

                  The formation of the Batavian Republic, inspired by the French
                  revolution, led to a more centralised government. Holland became a
                  province of a unitary state. Its independence was further reduced by an
                  administrative reform in 1798, in which its territory was divided into
                  several departments called Amstel, Delf, Texel, and part of Schelde en Maas.

                  From 1806 to 1810 Napoleon styled his vassal state, governed by his
                  brother Louis Napoleon and shortly by the son of Louis, Napoleon Louis
                  Bonaparte, as the "Kingdom of Holland". This kingdom encompassed much of
                  what would become the modern Netherlands. The name reflects how natural
                  at the time it had become to equate Holland with the Netherlands as a
                  whole.[2]

                  During the period the Low Countries were annexed by the French Empire
                  and actually incorporated into France (from 1810 to 1813), Holland was
                  divided into the départements Zuyderzée and Bouches-de-la-Meuse.
                • Ic Neltococayotl
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 3, 2008
                    Thank you Larry!!!

                    > Many Europeans thought of the United Provinces first as "Holland"
                    rather
                    > than as the "Republic of the Seven United Provinces of the
                    Netherlands".
                    > A strong impression of "Holland" was planted in the minds of other
                    > Europeans, which then was projected back onto the Republic as a whole.

                    While not a European myself, I too fall (fell-since your correction)
                    under the above description.

                    Working at DHL as one of the customs inspectors, our book under
                    "Holland" says, "see The Netherlands". I guess many fall under the same
                    assumption still??

                    Thanks again.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 3, 2008
                      Ic Neltococayotl wrote:

                      > Working at DHL as one of the customs inspectors, our book under
                      > "Holland" says, "see The Netherlands". I guess many fall under the same
                      > assumption still??

                      I only know because a friend from eastern NL (Groningen, I think) didn't
                      like people calling him a Hollander.

                      > Thanks again.

                      You're welcome.
                    • Samantha E
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 3, 2008
                        Edgar wrote: "yeah, one of'dem ur-a-pe-in nations..."

                        Edgar,
                        You are priceless!
                        ~Samantha

                        > > <mailto:covenantedr eformationclub% 40yahoogroups. com>, Jerry
                        > > ragingcalvinist@ wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > i don't know what this about.
                        > > >
                        > > > gmw

                        Dennis?

                        > > it (I

                        > > blog...actually did

                      • bander1643
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 3, 2008
                          Flemish Giant & Netherlands Dwarf:

                          http://tinyurl.com/35zqwb

                          > Part of NL, I believe was Flanders (were they call themselves
                          Flemish).
                        • bob_suden
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 3, 2008
                            <ragingcalvinist@...> wrote:

                            > i don't know what this about.

                            That's always a safe response, Jerry!
                            I know nothing.

                            > gmw
                            >
                            > Ic Neltococayotl wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I take it everyone here got that e-mail from Holland from Dennis?
                            > >
                            > > So, Dennis, what is the point? I am just wonderng why we all got
                            it (I suppose to show the content that Bob deleted from his blog?)?

                            > > I personally was unaware of that discussion on that
                            blog...actually did not even know there was a place to post on Bob's
                            blog!

                            > > Edgar

                            Better check the battery and warranty for that decoder ring, Edgar.

                            Seriously as regards the Dutch email, to a boy with a hammer,
                            everything is a nail. Because I do not agree with or understand Mr.
                            Grutzmacher 100%, I am a papist or a promoter thereof.

                            For instance, some of those excommunicated by the RPNA(GM) have joined
                            churches, such as the OPC, URC, RPCNA etc. which deny the consensus
                            view of the Reformation that the Pope is the Antichrist.
                            Yet to my reply that it does not follow that to deny the extraordinary
                            telephone session of the RPNA(GM) is to necessarily deny the
                            Reformation witness against the papacy, Dennis descends further IMO
                            into menacing and incoherent bile.

                            In other words, when someone is given an opportunity/is requested to
                            explain their comments and they vehemently refuse to do so, I avail
                            myself of the little garbage can icon for their comments. And someone
                            doesn't like that.

                            Of course in all this, Mr. Grutzmacher or others even, may think my
                            comments too flippant. If so, I respectfully refer them to Prov. 14:13:

                            Even in laughter the heart is sorrowful; and the end of that mirth is
                            heaviness.

                            cordially in Christ,
                            Bob S.
                          • peterreynoldsbookseller
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 9, 2008
                              As someone who has spent a little time around a few Dutch people and
                              speaks Dutch, I can assure you that Dutch people use the word Holland
                              as a synonym of Nederland, as well as to refer to Noord-Holland and
                              Zuid-Holland.

                              Peter Reynolds
                              =====================

                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 9, 2008
                                peterreynoldsbookseller wrote:
                                > As someone who has spent a little time around a few Dutch people and
                                > speaks Dutch, I can assure you that Dutch people use the word Holland
                                > as a synonym of Nederland, as well as to refer to Noord-Holland and
                                > Zuid-Holland.

                                Thank you for that.
                                But it is so *imprecise*, you know?
                              • Deejay
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 9, 2008

                                  Hi Larry,  and Peter,

                                  (Jerry quit being insular!-Tsk!)

                                  I’m sure it’s likely there is a very sound reason within Holland, of why it is thought of predominantly as the Netherlands in some other countries, but not the country in question,  itself.   It is, I would imagine a cultural thing. In that it is very precise to the Dutch and only appears otherwise to other countries. After all, it’s their country, so they should know.  It’s only a guess, but it seems likely. We Englanders say Holland too. But it’s probably just a European thing.

                                  ~Deejay

                                  > As someone who has spent a little time around a few Dutch people and
                                  > speaks Dutch, I can assure you that Dutch people use the word Holland
                                  > as a synonym of Nederland, as well as to refer to Noord-Holland and
                                  > Zuid-Holland.

                                  Thank you for that.

                                • Big Ears
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 10, 2008
                                    Hello,
                                    Not sure of what all this about but Ek Se here is a link,

                                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands_(terminology)

                                    David
                                  • Larry Bump
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 10, 2008
                                      Deejay wrote:
                                      > I’m sure it’s likely there is a very sound reason within Holland, of why
                                      > it is thought of predominantly as the Netherlands in some other
                                      > countries, but not the country in question, itself. It is, I would
                                      > imagine a cultural thing. In that it is very precise to the Dutch and
                                      > only appears otherwise to other countries. After all, it’s their
                                      > country, so they should know. It’s only a guess, but it seems likely.
                                      > We Englanders say Holland too. But it’s probably just a European thing.

                                      It's funny that they do so, but if you call a Brit (not from England
                                      proper) English they get all bothered.
                                      Or when you Brits call all Americans "Yanks". The southern half of us
                                      don't care for that one bit...

                                      ;-)

                                      Larry