Re: Important New Project from SGCB from The American Tract Society

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 22, 2007
      In my inbox today (thought I'd just pass it along):

      -------------------
      Mr. Waybright,

      In the description of your Covenanted Reformation
      Club, it states:

      The Covenanted Reformation Club is a place to discuss
      the True Religion as revealed in God's Word, set forth
      in the Westminster Standards, sworn to in the Solemn
      League and Covenant, and adhered to by the best
      Reformers, Puritans, and Covenanters, and by those
      following them as they followed Christ. You need not
      be a Covenanter to participate. However, this will not
      be a forum for declaring heretical views or for
      attacking the Covenanted Reformation or the principles
      thereof.

      On Tuesday, November 20, 2007, in Message #16134,
      Michael Gaydosh, wrote the following:

      `…Dear Brethren,
      Solid Ground Christian Books has announced the
      launching of a major project we hope to have available
      in time for Christmas 2007… Our goal is to bring the
      first six volumes back before Christmas 2007 for use
      during the coming year. This would be a great gift to
      purchase for the Church Library, for your pastor and
      for your own personal or family library…'

      Questions:

      1. Is the Covenanted Reformation Club a place to
      discuss or mention Christmas favorably?
      2. Is Christmas an article of faith found in the
      Scottish Reformed Presbyterian True Religion as
      revealed in God's Word?
      3. Is Christmas an article of faith found set forth in
      the Westminster Standards?
      4. Is Christmas an article of faith sworn to in the
      Solemn League and Covenant?
      5. Is Christmas an article of faith found adhered to
      by the best Reformers, Puritans and Covenanters?
      6. Isn't this message by Mr. Gaydosh regarding
      Christmas, and giving gifts the introduction of a
      heretical view into the Covenanted Reformation Club?
      7. Are you intending to respond publicly to Mr.
      Gaydosh?

      I have attached a copy of a small work on the Reformed
      Protestant view of Christmas. Perhaps, if you are so
      inclined, you can share some of the precepts found
      therein by some of the most Orthodox, faithful
      Reformed writers with Mr. Gaydosh.

      Michael Wyatt

      It ought to be remembered, however, that those who are appointed to
      govern the Church do not err through ignorance, but basely and
      wickedly defraud their Master of his right.' John Calvin, Luke 12.47

      'Let us then know that religion, separated from knowledge, is nothing
      but the sport and delusion of Satan' John Calvin, Jeremiah 44.1-7.

      `To be ignorant in a knowing age is an argument of much negligence'
      Thomas Manton, Commentary on Jude 5

      `The two great pillars upon which the kingdom of Satan is erected, and
      by which it is upheld, are ignorance and error; the first step of our
      manumission [historical release from slavery; set free—MDW] from this
      spiritual thraldom consists in having our eyes opened, and being
      turned from darkness to light, Acts xxvi. 18' Thomas Manton, Preface
      to the Westminster Confession of Faith, To The Christian Reader,
      Especially Heads of Families.

      The approval of this advertisement in the Covenanted Reformation Club,
      in which the day commonly called Christmas is mentioned and is used as
      a pretense for purchasing books for others, does not constitute an
      approval of the celebration or observance of said day on the part of
      myself personally, nor of the Covenanted Reformation Club collectively.

      "THERE is no day commanded in scripture to be kept holy under the
      gospel but the Lord's day, which is the Christian Sabbath. Festival
      days, vulgarly called Holy-days, having no warrant in the word of God,
      are not to be continued." -- The Directory for the Public Worship of God.

      Mr. Wyatt's work will shortly appear in the files section.

      gmw.

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Gaydosh"