Important New Project from SGCB from The American Tract Society

  • Michael Gaydosh
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 20, 2007

      Dear Brethren,

      Solid Ground Christian Books has announced the launching of a major project we hope to have available in time for Christmas 2007. It is called THE PUBLICATIONS OF THE AMERICAN TRACT SOCIETY, and it contains the first 6 volumes of Tracts published from 1825 - 1840. This is one of the most important projects we have ever undertaken.

      Tracts varied from 4 to 48 pages in length and were written by men such as John Bunyan, Jonathan Edwards, Joseph Alleine, Archibald Alexander, J.W. Alexander, John Flavel, John Witherspoon, John Newton, Robert Hall, James Hervey, Richard Cecil, John Owen, Philip Doddridge, Timothy Dwight, Richard Baxter, Isaac Watts, Legh Richmond, Thomas Goodwin, Gardiner Spring, William Cowper, Edward Payson, Ashbel Green, Andrew Fuller, Benjamin Rush, Cesar Malan and many more.

      Solid Ground Christian Books is seeking to bring these 194 gems back to the 21st century for several reasons:

      1. These tracts were written before the day of decisionism, and thus avoids that terrible error.
      2. These tracts were owned by God in the conversion and sanctification of multitudes the world over.
      3. These tracts were written in a language that can be understood by the common man or woman.
      4. These tracts were written by those of doctrinal and moral integrity with no thought of personal gain.
      5. These tracts are brief enough for use in Family Worship, Personal Devotions, Christian School & Sunday School.

      Our goal is to bring the first six volumes back before Christmas 2007 for use during the coming year. This would be a great gift to purchase for the Church Library, for your pastor and for your own personal or family library.

      Antiquarian Booksellers regularly sell one Tract out of these volumes for $35.00 and more. Some of these volumes are now selling used for $100 - $150 each. We have spent nearly $500 getting copies of these volumes for our project, and we are offering these books for a very low price to help get these uncovered gems back into circulation.

      List Price per 400 page Volume is $30.00;  Pre-Pub Price is just $17.95

      List Price for the Six Volume Set is $175.00;  Pre-Pub Price is just $89.95

      ** http://www.solid-ground-books.com/books_AmericanTractSociety.asp

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 22, 2007
        In my inbox today (thought I'd just pass it along):

        -------------------
        Mr. Waybright,

        In the description of your Covenanted Reformation
        Club, it states:

        The Covenanted Reformation Club is a place to discuss
        the True Religion as revealed in God's Word, set forth
        in the Westminster Standards, sworn to in the Solemn
        League and Covenant, and adhered to by the best
        Reformers, Puritans, and Covenanters, and by those
        following them as they followed Christ. You need not
        be a Covenanter to participate. However, this will not
        be a forum for declaring heretical views or for
        attacking the Covenanted Reformation or the principles
        thereof.

        On Tuesday, November 20, 2007, in Message #16134,
        Michael Gaydosh, wrote the following:

        `…Dear Brethren,
        Solid Ground Christian Books has announced the
        launching of a major project we hope to have available
        in time for Christmas 2007… Our goal is to bring the
        first six volumes back before Christmas 2007 for use
        during the coming year. This would be a great gift to
        purchase for the Church Library, for your pastor and
        for your own personal or family library…'

        Questions:

        1. Is the Covenanted Reformation Club a place to
        discuss or mention Christmas favorably?
        2. Is Christmas an article of faith found in the
        Scottish Reformed Presbyterian True Religion as
        revealed in God's Word?
        3. Is Christmas an article of faith found set forth in
        the Westminster Standards?
        4. Is Christmas an article of faith sworn to in the
        Solemn League and Covenant?
        5. Is Christmas an article of faith found adhered to
        by the best Reformers, Puritans and Covenanters?
        6. Isn't this message by Mr. Gaydosh regarding
        Christmas, and giving gifts the introduction of a
        heretical view into the Covenanted Reformation Club?
        7. Are you intending to respond publicly to Mr.
        Gaydosh?

        I have attached a copy of a small work on the Reformed
        Protestant view of Christmas. Perhaps, if you are so
        inclined, you can share some of the precepts found
        therein by some of the most Orthodox, faithful
        Reformed writers with Mr. Gaydosh.

        Michael Wyatt

        It ought to be remembered, however, that those who are appointed to
        govern the Church do not err through ignorance, but basely and
        wickedly defraud their Master of his right.' John Calvin, Luke 12.47

        'Let us then know that religion, separated from knowledge, is nothing
        but the sport and delusion of Satan' John Calvin, Jeremiah 44.1-7.

        `To be ignorant in a knowing age is an argument of much negligence'
        Thomas Manton, Commentary on Jude 5

        `The two great pillars upon which the kingdom of Satan is erected, and
        by which it is upheld, are ignorance and error; the first step of our
        manumission [historical release from slavery; set free—MDW] from this
        spiritual thraldom consists in having our eyes opened, and being
        turned from darkness to light, Acts xxvi. 18' Thomas Manton, Preface
        to the Westminster Confession of Faith, To The Christian Reader,
        Especially Heads of Families.

        The approval of this advertisement in the Covenanted Reformation Club,
        in which the day commonly called Christmas is mentioned and is used as
        a pretense for purchasing books for others, does not constitute an
        approval of the celebration or observance of said day on the part of
        myself personally, nor of the Covenanted Reformation Club collectively.

        "THERE is no day commanded in scripture to be kept holy under the
        gospel but the Lord's day, which is the Christian Sabbath. Festival
        days, vulgarly called Holy-days, having no warrant in the word of God,
        are not to be continued." -- The Directory for the Public Worship of God.

        Mr. Wyatt's work will shortly appear in the files section.

        gmw.

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Gaydosh"