suggestions for dialoguing with an Armenian

  • nocost2great
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 11, 2007
      For those of you who excel in apologetics - I am dialoguing with a
      pastor who is Armenian through and through.
      Where would you start? I am a bit overwhelmed. Although he says he
      loves Ephesians 1 he also says he doesn't believe in predestination.
      He contends that he believes the entire Bible is the inspired Word
      of God, and yet doesn't believe he is bound to keep the 10
      commandments. So, really he thinks that it is only the New Testament
      that is applicable. He doesn't believe in original sin; believes in
      an age of accountablity (and any act before that magical time
      wouldn't be considered sin but disobedience <ack!>)
      Anybody got an ideas besides run? LOL He seems willing to talk. In
      fact he feels like it is our duty to continue to strive towards
      unity until we achieve it. The idea of 'one church' outside of
      presbyterianism is new to me (besides unitarianism.)
      Based on our conversations I don't think affiliates himself with any
      denomination. He condemns Rome, protestants, and baptists.
      It was an interesting conversation and hard to walk away from. I am
      hoping that we can continue to converse via email and would love
      some input as far as what to address first. He believes baptism
      actually saves you, so maybe that would be the best place to start?
      Or should I start with salvation by grace, not by choice/works?

      Thanks!

      By His Grace,

      Dee Dee
    • Larry Bump
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 11, 2007
        nocost2great wrote:
        > For those of you who excel in apologetics - I am dialoguing with a
        > pastor who is Armenian through and through.

        Just a quick note.
        We have a pastor in our denomination that is 100% Armenian as well, but
        he is a thoroughgoing Calvinist. Pastor Christian Adjemian is his name.

        BTW, if you see a last name ending in "ian" it is almost certainly an
        Armenian name.

        ;-)

        Larry
      • nocost2great
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 18, 2007
          that is 100% Armenian as well, but
          > he is a thoroughgoing Calvinist. Pastor Christian Adjemian is his
          name.

          > BTW, if you see a last name ending in "ian" it is almost certainly
          an
          > Armenian name.
          >
          > ;-)
          >
          > Larry

          Okay, Larry. Is this a joke? Maybe I am missing something. How can one
          be both? You are either saved by grace alone or you're not. This guys
          says it is all up to the individual. God doesn't have any part in the
          choosing. In fact (says he), we are not even predestined. All the
          while he says he LOVES Ephesians.

          Dee Dee
        • Deejay
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 18, 2007
            Hi DeeDee,

            from what you have said about this guy, I think it would take a bit more
            than his loving Ephesians for me to call him a Calvinist. As he may
            love it, but does he actually understand it correctly?

            ~Deejay

            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "nocost2great"
            <manna4free@...> wrote:

            > that is 100% Armenian as well, but
            > > he is a thoroughgoing Calvinist. Pastor Christian Adjemian is his
            > name.
            > >
            > > BTW, if you see a last name ending in "ian" it is almost certainly
            > an
            > > Armenian name.
            > >
            > > ;-)
            > >
            > > Larry
            > >
            > Okay, Larry. Is this a joke? Maybe I am missing something. How can one
            > be both? You are either saved by grace alone or you're not. This guys
            > says it is all up to the individual. God doesn't have any part in the
            > choosing. In fact (says he), we are not even predestined. All the
            > while he says he LOVES Ephesians.
            >
            > Dee Dee

          • Larry Bump
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 18, 2007
              nocost2great wrote:

              > Okay, Larry. Is this a joke? Maybe I am missing something. How can one
              > be both? You are either saved by grace alone or you're not.

              An Armenian is someone whose family is from Armenia, north-east of Turkey.

              An Arminian is someone who rejects the doctrines of grace.

              And yes, just a joke. Sorry!

              Larry
            • nocost2great
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 25, 2007
                > And yes, just a joke. Sorry!
                >
                > Larry

                That's okay Larry. I am not the best speller, and can be dense at
                times too. LOL

                Dee Dee