Re: [Covenanted Reformation] continuous singing

  • bob_suden
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 6, 2007
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Glenn Ferrell
      <jglennferrell@...> wrote:

      > Interestingly, the Primitive (Calvinistic) Baptists and some other
      groups still line out their sung praise. They do not sing Psalms, . . .
      . If one could introduce them to the Psalms, I wonder if they'd take to
      them.

      <ragingcalvinist@...> wrote:

      > Writings from people like David Steele aren't always
      > helpful for the current times . . ..

      Greetings Glen and Gerry,

      In the long run, I don't think the Primitive Baptists would take to the
      psalms because it would clash too much with the anaBaptist
      mindset/theology and a NT Book of Acts church. But maybe on the other
      hand, they could put up with the inconsistency of it.

      As for Steele, doesn't he make the jump from lining out being a mere
      circumstance as it is in the Westminster Directory to actually being a
      requirement in public worship, i.e. continuous singing is sin (even
      though he didn't call a meeting of the Session of the RPA General
      Meeting and make an official binding pronouncement on it)?

      cordially
      Bob S