Why are you cast down, O my soul?

  • Larry Bump
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 14, 2007
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: [ComeOutFromAmongstThem] Why are you cast down, O my soul?
      Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 20:56:53 -0400
      From: Larry Bump <lbump@...>
      To: ComeOutFromAmongstThem@yahoogroups.com

      In worship today we prayed for those who cannot be with the people of
      God in worship. Tonight I asked that we sing Psalm 42 in remembrance of
      them, and as a prayer that our Lord and Saviour would indeed be "The
      help of [their] countenance and [their] God". (psalm 42:11b)

      The Psalms speak of Jesus; He tells us this. We know from the Gospels
      that He felt alone, more than we could ever imagine, and that He took
      solace in the Psalms. Psalm 42 is a solemn, somber psalm, but we know
      it is not the end of the story; the seed of the rescue is in it. We
      know that our Father raised Him up, and in Him we shall all be raised
      up; her on Earth, and later from the grave.

      When we cannot be with the people of God, and it even feels as though
      God Himself is far away, we may always take comfort in knowing that He
      promises to be with us, and He will always keep His promises. As we are
      spiritually in the Promised Land, but it feels as though we are in the
      Arabah, the empty desert south and east of the Holy Land, let us
      remember the good times of the past and rejoice in the fellowship we
      shall have one day. Fellowship one with another, with our Jesus, with
      the Spirit Who sustains us even now; and all together with the Father.

      DeeDee, Deejay, and all of the others who are separated from the
      physical church; who feel cast off and forgotten, even rejected at
      times; you do have a Father in Heaven, an Elder Brother at His right
      hand, another Comforter dwelling in your very soul, and many brothers
      and sisters here on earth who love you, and who are thinking of you.

      8 The LORD will command His lovingkindness in the daytime,
      And in the night His song shall be with me—
      A prayer to the God of my life.

      Please, if you can, sing this with us, or read it with us; as a prayer
      to God for all of us who feel so alone at times.

      The Holy Bible, New King James Version

      Psalm 42:1 (NKJV)
      1 As the deer pants for the water brooks,
      So pants my soul for You, O God.
      2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
      When shall I come and appear before God?
      3 My tears have been my food day and night,
      While they continually say to me,
      “Where is your God?”
      4 When I remember these things,
      I pour out my soul within me.
      For I used to go with the multitude;
      I went with them to the house of God,
      With the voice of joy and praise,
      With a multitude that kept a pilgrim feast.
      5 Why are you cast down, O my soul?
      And why are you disquieted within me?
      Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him
      For the help of His countenance.
      6 O my God, my soul is cast down within me;
      Therefore I will remember You from the land of the Jordan,
      And from the heights of Hermon,
      From the Hill Mizar.
      7 Deep calls unto deep at the noise of Your waterfalls;
      All Your waves and billows have gone over me.
      8 The LORD will command His lovingkindness in the daytime,
      And in the night His song shall be with me—
      A prayer to the God of my life.
      9 I will say to God my Rock,
      “Why have You forgotten me?
      Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?”
      10 As with a breaking of my bones,
      My enemies reproach me,
      While they say to me all day long,
      “Where is your God?”
      11 Why are you cast down, O my soul?
      And why are you disquieted within me?
      Hope in God;
      For I shall yet praise Him,
      The help of my countenance and my God.

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • nocost2great
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 16, 2007
        Thank you Larry! I love that Psalm.

        Dee Dee

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Larry Bump

> [...]
      • simon_padbury
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 29, 2007
          Hi,

          It's been awfully quiet around here lately.

          I just found this:

          http://www.thereformation.info/index.htm

          Does anybody know who this is?

          Kind regards,

          Simon Padbury.
          Psalm 106:4.
        • Ic Neltococayotl
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 29, 2007
            Hi Simon,

            Yeah it is quite...there are no controversies a foot!!

            Well, as for the site below, looks like it might be a Brian Orr (see
            contact info on the site). Not sure who that is, but the "Orr" name is
            known in RPCNA circles, not sure if this man is part or not?

            Edgar

            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "simon_padbury"
            <simon_padbury@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > It's been awfully quiet around here lately.
            >
            > I just found this:
            >
            > http://www.thereformation.info/index.htm
            >
            > Does anybody know who this is?
            >
            > Kind regards,
            >
            > Simon Padbury.
            > Psalm 106:4.

          • Larry Bump
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 29, 2007
              Ic Neltococayotl wrote:

              > Well, as for the site below, looks like it might be a Brian Orr (see
              > contact info on the site). Not sure who that is, but the "Orr" name is
              > known in RPCNA circles, not sure if this man is part or not?

              >> http://www.thereformation.info/index.htm

              It looks like a school project, doesn't it?
              The name doesn't ring a bell to me; he may well be related to Pastor
              Kenneth Orr, though.

              Larry
            • Jasper
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 29, 2007
                Larry Bump <lbump@...> wrote:

                >> http://www.therefor mation.info/ index.htm

                It looks like a school project, doesn't it?
                The name doesn't ring a bell to me; he may well be related to Pastor
                Kenneth Orr, though.

                Larry

                The website was last updated this coming December 7, 2007  -  LOL

                Jasper

                http://mail.yahoo.com

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 29, 2007
                  I've seem some people put the day before the month... if this is the
                  case here, then maybe 12/7/2007 means the 12th of July. ???

                  gmw.

                  --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Jasper
                  <jasperh98@...> wrote:

                  > The website was last updated this coming December 7, 2007 - LOL
                  >
                  > Jasper

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                • Deejay
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 29, 2007

                    Yankee doodle dandies do the date different format.  Being an  UNINsular Brit  I know that. ;-)

                    So, if the guy should be from anywhere other than America,  or other places, such as part of the UK, which given the content of the website is possible.. then the date format is as Jerry, says.

                    ~Deejay

                    <jasperh98@...> wrote:

                    > The website was last updated this coming December 7, 2007 - LOL
                    >
                    > Jasper

                    > http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • simon_padbury
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 30, 2007
                      <ragingcalvinist@...> wrote:

                      > I've seem some people put the day before the month... if this is the
                      > case here, then maybe 12/7/2007 means the 12th of July. ???
                      >
                      > gmw.
                      >
                      > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Jasper
                      > <jasperh98@> wrote:
                      >

                      > > The website was last updated this coming December 7, 2007 -
                      LOL

                      > > Jasper

                      > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                      Thanks guys,

                      With him writing the date 'backwards' (like us Brits), I'm wondering
                      whether he's on my side of the Atlantic.

                      Simon.