Re: illegal immigration

  • forisraelssake
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2007
      > - What should the church's response be to illegal immigration?

      Murray Rothbard writes, "the regime of open borders that exists de
      facto in the U.S. really amounts to a compulsory opening by the
      central state, the state in charge of all streets and public land
      areas, and does not genuinely reflect the wishes of the proprietors."

      Biblically, and ethically, there is no 'right' to immigrate;
      immigration should be by invitation, not invasion, as consistent
      private-property rights economics would dictate. In the exact opposite
      of what a market policy would be, the state forbids invited people to
      immigrate, but permits hordes who have no invitation to come on down.

      On the one hand, it seems perfectly reasonable to say the following,
      quoting Ron Paul, "Amnesty for illegal immigrants is not the answer.
      Millions of people who broke the law by entering, staying, and working
      in our country illegally should not be rewarded with a visa. Why
      should lawbreakers obtain a free pass, while those seeking to
      immigrate legally face years of paperwork and long waits for a visa?"

      But on the other, the situation is very messy. Many, if not nearly
      all, of these people are in a market-sense, invited and wanted, by
      existing property owners renting to them and employing them, and
      existing families or ethnic and religious communities supporting them.
      So what really is wrong about what they did, at a fundamental level?

      In the end I think dealing with this topic 'presupposes' whatever view
      of the State/government and the laws it makes that will be the most
      important factor. I feel bad for folks who obey the "law" while others
      come and go as they please illegally, but that is strictly speaking
      irrelevant, just as I feel bad for someone who pays $100 for something
      on Thursday that goes on sale for $50 on Friday.

      Chris