Ralph Erskine [Seceder] on Covenant Obligation.

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2007
      "Our covenant of duties, is either private and personal, or public and
      national. If by personal covenanting be either meant believing at
      first, and laying hold on God's covenant, or the believer's engaging
      through grace, to serve the Lord, in all the duties of religion; it is
      indeed the duty and honour of every person, to be thus engaged. Public
      and national covenanting is also the duty and honour of a land: it was
      the glory of Scotland, that we were solemnly in covenant; wherein our
      forefathers, for themselves and their posterity, "engaged and swore
      against popery, prelacy, superstition, and every thing contrary to the
      word of God; and to the doctrine, discipline, worship, and government
      of the reformed Church of Scotland:—and that as we should answer to
      Jesus Christ at the great day, and under the pain of God's everlasting
      wrath, and of infamy, and loss of all honour and respect in this
      world." And, O may not our hearts bleed to think on our defection from
      old covenanted principles, and violation of engagements; yea, of the
      burning and burial of our covenants, and many gravestones laid upon
      the sepulchre; also the prevalency of abjured popery in this land,
      without being duly lamented, and the open introduction of abjured
      prelacy, and English popish ceremonies and services, in many places of
      this land, without being duly testified against; but the zeal of many
      runs in another channel! Is it any wonder then, that the infamy and
      loss of honour, and respect in this world, mentioned in that covenant,
      hath come upon us, while our honour as a nation, and glory as a
      church, is sunk into the horrible pit and filthy mire of infamy,
      bondage, slavery, and contempt? However, covenant-obligation to duty
      is what we stand still under: though many be ashamed of, and refuse to
      own these obligations, yet it is the glory of our land, however it be
      now defaced. And therefore, let us even, in our approaches to a
      communion-table, go forward, lamenting our sinful defection from the
      covenanted reformation, acknowledging our solemn covenant obligation;
      and hoping, that the Lord will, in due time, revive a covenanted work,
      and pour out a spirit of reformation."

      -- Ralph Erskine, Christ the Peoples Covenant.
      http://www.covenantedreformation.co.uk/peoples%20covenant.html

      Just thought this was good and wanted to share it.