Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: RPCNA Testimony, Voting and the Explanatory Declaration

  • Larry Bump
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 16, 2007
      Glenn Ferrell wrote:

      > I certainly will not vote for a Roman Catholic, Mormon, or Arminian, nor
      > anyone not accountable to the the officers of a biblical church.
      >
      > I don't suppose I'll be voting for a while.

      I have the same scruples, and the same conclusion!

      LArry
    • Samantha E
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 16, 2007
        Given the subject of voting being up right now, what would any of you here say regarding Ron Paul who is running for president (Republican) in the next presidential election (USA)?  Below is his statement of faith as sent to me by a friend.
        ~Samantha
        -----------------------------
        Subject: Very interesting!
        Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:09:39 -0600

        Statement of Faith
        By Rep. Ron Paul, MD.

        The Covenant News ~ July 21, 2007
        We live in times of great uncertainty when men of faith must stand up for our values and our traditions lest they be washed away in a sea of fear and relativism. As you likely know, I am running for President of the United States, and I am asking for your support.

        I have never been one who is comfortable talking about my faith in the political arena. In fact, the pandering that typically occurs in the election season I find to be distasteful. But for those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do. I know, as you do, that our freedoms come not from man, but from God. My record of public service reflects my reverence for the Natural Rights with which we have been endowed by a loving Creator.

        I have worked tirelessly to defend and restore those rights for all Americans, born and unborn alike. The right of an innocent, unborn child to life is at the heart of the American ideal of liberty. My professional and legislative record demonstrates my strong commitment to this pro-life principle.

        In 40 years of medical practice, I never once considered performing an abortion, nor did I ever find abortion necessary to save the life of a pregnant woman. In Congress, I have authored legislation that seeks to define life as beginning at conception, H.R. 1094. I am also the prime sponsor of H.R. 300, which would negate the effect of Roe v Wade by removing the ability of federal courts to interfere with state legislation to protect life. This is a practical, direct approach to ending federal court tyranny which threatens our constitutional republic and has caused the deaths of 45 million of the unborn. I have also authored H.R. 1095, which prevents federal funds to be used for so-called “population control.” Many talk about being pro-life. I have taken and will continue to advocate direct action to restore protection for the unborn.

        I have also acted to protect the lives of Americans by my adherence to the doctrine of “just war.” This doctrine, as articulated by Augustine, suggested that war must only be waged as a last resort--- for a discernible moral and public good, with the right intentions, vetted through established legal authorities (a constitutionally required declaration of the Congress), and with a likely probability of success.

        It has been and remains my firm belief that the current United Nations-mandated, no-win police action in Iraq fails to meet the high moral threshold required to wage just war. That is why I have offered moral and practical opposition to the invasion, occupation and social engineering police exercise now underway in Iraq. It is my belief, borne out by five years of abject failure and tens of thousands of lost lives, that the Iraq operation has been a dangerous diversion from the rightful and appropriate focus of our efforts to bring to justice to the jihadists that have attacked us and seek still to undermine our nation, our values, and our way of life.

        I opposed giving the president power to wage unlimited and unchecked aggression, However, I did vote to support the use of force in Afghanistan. I also authored H.R. 3076, the September 11 Marque and Reprisal Act of 2001. A letter of marque and reprisal is a constitutional tool specifically designed to give the president the authority to respond with appropriate force to those non-state actors who wage aggression against the United States while limiting his authority to only those responsible for the atrocities of that day. Such a limited authorization is consistent with the doctrine of just war and the practical aim of keeping Americans safe while minimizing the costs in blood and treasure of waging such an operation.

        On September 17, 2001, I stated on the house floor that “…striking out at six or eight or even ten different countries could well expand this war of which we wanted no part. Without defining the enemy there is no way to know our precise goal or to know when the war is over. Inadvertently more casual acceptance of civilian deaths as part of this war I'm certain will prolong the agony and increase the chances of even more American casualties. We must guard against this if at all possible.” I’m sorry to say that history has proven this to be true.

        I am running for president to restore the rule of law and to stand up for our divinely inspired Constitution. I have never voted for legislation that is not specifically authorized by the Constitution. As president, I will never sign a piece of legislation, nor use the power of the executive, in a manner inconsistent with the limitations that the founders envisioned.

        Many have given up on America as an exemplar for the world, as a model of freedom, self-government, and self-control. I have not. There is hope for America. I ask you to join me, and to be a part of it.

        Sincerely,

        Ron Paul

        For More Information Contact:
        Paul Dorr
        Iowa Field Director
        RonPaul2008@...
        Phone: 712-758-3660

        Ron Paul 2008
        Presidential Campaign Committee
        www.RonPaul2008.com
        Phone: 703-248-9115
        FAX: 703-248-9119

        Commentary Index

        Back to The Covenant News
        Covenant News | P

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 18, 2007
          Samantha E wrote:
          > Given the subject of voting being up right now, what would any of you
          > here say regarding Ron Paul who is running for president (Republican) in
          > the next presidential election (USA)? Below is his statement of faith
          > as sent to me by a friend.
          > ~Samantha
          >
          > I am running for president to restore the rule of law and to
          > stand up for our divinely inspired Constitution.

          I have a serious problem with this line, and would need clarification of
          some others.
        • Ic Neltococayotl
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 18, 2007
            Larry,

            Well the Republican Party calls itself God's Party. So they need their
            Sacred Writ if they are going to call themselves that. Like Hezbollah,
            which means the Party of God. Both are warmongers.

            More politically driven than God-fearers, in my view. Most of politicos
            put their party first and God second, unless they can use Him for their
            own ends...then flows the Christianise

            Edgar

            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Larry Bump <lbump@...>
            wrote:

            > Samantha E wrote:
            > > Given the subject of voting being up right now, what would any of
            you
            > > here say regarding Ron Paul who is running for president
            (Republican) in
            > > the next presidential election (USA)? Below is his statement of
            faith
            > > as sent to me by a friend.
            > > ~Samantha
            > >
            > > I am running for president to restore the rule of law and to
            > > stand up for our divinely inspired Constitution.
            >

            > I have a serious problem with this line, and would need clarification
            of
            > some others.

          • Larry Bump
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 18, 2007
              Ic Neltococayotl wrote:
              > Larry,
              >
              > Well the Republican Party calls itself God's Party. So they need their
              > Sacred Writ if they are going to call themselves that. Like Hezbollah,
              > which means the Party of God. Both are warmongers.

              I haven't been too wild about them since that Lincoln fellow.

              Larry
            • forisraelssake
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 18, 2007
                > Larry,
                >
                > Well the Republican Party calls itself God's Party. So they need their
                > Sacred Writ if they are going to call themselves that. Like Hezbollah,
                > which means the Party of God. Both are warmongers.
                >
                > More politically driven than God-fearers, in my view. Most of politicos
                > put their party first and God second, unless they can use Him for their
                > own ends...then flows the Christianise
                >
                > Edgar

                In fairness to Paul, he is anti-war to the utmost and despises war and
                is the only Republican candidate for presidency that is against the
                military-industrial complex, voted against the Iraq War in the House,
                and makes the immediate withdrawal of all American forces from Iraq a
                part of his platform. (Actually he wants all American troops out of
                every country in the world, and the US out of the UN and the UN out of
                the US). He is running as a Republican because of the reality of the
                two-party state, not because he is part of the cult of Lincoln.

                Elder Bump, if you could vote for Ronald Reagan, then you could
                happily and joyfully vote for Ron Paul, who exceeds Reagan in all
                respects. I support Mr Paul. (Though as a Canadian that is of little
                help with the nomination process.)

                http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/ - Articles by and about Paul

                --Chris
              • Larry Bump
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 18, 2007
                  forisraelssake wrote:
                  > Elder Bump, if you could vote for Ronald Reagan, then you could
                  > happily and joyfully vote for Ron Paul, who exceeds Reagan in all
                  > respects. I support Mr Paul. (Though as a Canadian that is of little
                  > help with the nomination process.)

                  I was not a believer when I voted for Reagan. I would not have, had I
                  the same scruples I do now.

                  Larry
                • Deejay
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 19, 2007

                    Many folks including Christians, voted for George Dubya,  cos he supposedly "wears his faith on this sleeve," yet as a somewhat ignorant Brit bystander, I find that an oxymoron in many respects. I'm not questioning his estate, just that his so-called "Christian stance"  when he openly practices pluralism amongst other things; it would probably be better if he didn't "wear his faith on his sleeve" that way he couldn't bring it into disrepute!

                    ~Deejay

                    --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Larry Bump <lbump@...> wrote:

                    > forisraelssake wrote:
                    > > Elder Bump, if you could vote for Ronald Reagan, then you could
                    > > happily and joyfully vote for Ron Paul, who exceeds Reagan in all
                    > > respects. I support Mr Paul. (Though as a Canadian that is of little
                    > > help with the nomination process.)
                    >
                    > I was not a believer when I voted for Reagan. I would not have, had I
                    > the same scruples I do now.
                    >
                    > Larry

                  • Larry Bump
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 19, 2007
                      Deejay wrote:
                      > Many folks including Christians, voted for George Dubya, cos he
                      > supposedly "wears his faith on this sleeve," yet as a somewhat ignorant
                      > Brit bystander, I find that an oxymoron in many respects. I'm not
                      > questioning his estate, just that his so-called "Christian stance" when
                      > he openly practices pluralism amongst other things; it would probably be
                      > better if he didn't "wear his faith on his sleeve" that way he couldn't
                      > bring it into disrepute!

                      That is also very much my thought on the subject.
                    • Ic Neltococayotl
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 19, 2007
                        That is the way of politicians; Their own power, position, and
                        political party FIRST...Christ (if they claim to be a Christian) a
                        woefully distant 2nd (and that is being charitable)...

                        Edgar

                        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Deejay"
                        <crazy_calvinist@...> wrote:

                        > Many folks including Christians, voted for George Dubya, cos he
                        > supposedly "wears his faith on this sleeve," yet as a somewhat
                        ignorant
                        > Brit bystander, I find that an oxymoron in many respects. I'm not
                        > questioning his estate, just that his so-called "Christian stance"
                        when
                        > he openly practices pluralism amongst other things; it would probably
                        be
                        > better if he didn't "wear his faith on his sleeve" that way he
                        couldn't
                        > bring it into disrepute!
                        >
                        > ~Deejay
                        >

                        > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Larry Bump lbump@
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > forisraelssake wrote:
                        > > > Elder Bump, if you could vote for Ronald Reagan, then you could
                        > > > happily and joyfully vote for Ron Paul, who exceeds Reagan in all
                        > > > respects. I support Mr Paul. (Though as a Canadian that is of
                        little
                        > > > help with the nomination process.)
                        > >
                        > > I was not a believer when I voted for Reagan. I would not have, had
                        > > the same scruples I do now.
                        > >
                        > > Larry

                      • Deejay
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 19, 2007
                          Agreed. Edgar. I've been a political dissenter the last few years when
                          its come to voting here in England. As to vote for any of them seems
                          to be to condone them and their idolatory, and something one can't do
                          without in affect voting for evil. Something I don't see God
                          advocating any one doing in Scripture--supporting evil--under any
                          circumstances.

                          ~Deejay

                          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Ic Neltococayotl"