RE: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: RPCNA Testimony, Voting and the Explanatory Declaration

  • Glenn Ferrell
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 16, 2007
      I haven't voted for a major party candidate for President since 1988.  I have voted for some third party candidates.

      Now, I'm at the point where I doubt I can vote for anyone who does not explicitly recognize the being and attributes of Almighty God, the Divine Authority of Holy Scripture, the law of God as the paramount rule, and Jesus the Messiah, the Savior, and Lord of all, and promise to do nothing in the exercise of their office inconsistent with the word of God.

      I certainly will not vote for a Roman Catholic, Mormon, or Arminian, nor anyone not accountable to the the officers of a biblical church.

      I don't suppose I'll be voting for a while.

      Glenn

      J. Glenn Ferrell, Pastor, Sovereign Redeemer Presbyterian Church, Boise, Idaho   http://sermonaudio.com/reformationidaho

      To: covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
      From: lbump@...
      Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 18:30:13 -0400
      Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: RPCNA Testimony, Voting and the Explanatory Declaration

      Shawn Anderson wrote:

      > So we see some qualifications attached to voting in the RPCNA. Now the
      > question of whether or not these are taught and principles practiced, I
      > couldn't answer.

      I was taught that.
      I haven't voted for a President since Reagan (before I was a Christian).
      I have see precious few that I could vote for, and none won their
      parties nomination.

    • Larry Bump
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 16, 2007
        Glenn Ferrell wrote:

        > I certainly will not vote for a Roman Catholic, Mormon, or Arminian, nor
        > anyone not accountable to the the officers of a biblical church.
        >
        > I don't suppose I'll be voting for a while.

        I have the same scruples, and the same conclusion!

        LArry
      • Samantha E
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 16, 2007
          Given the subject of voting being up right now, what would any of you here say regarding Ron Paul who is running for president (Republican) in the next presidential election (USA)?  Below is his statement of faith as sent to me by a friend.
          ~Samantha
          -----------------------------
          Subject: Very interesting!
          Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:09:39 -0600

          Statement of Faith
          By Rep. Ron Paul, MD.

          The Covenant News ~ July 21, 2007
          We live in times of great uncertainty when men of faith must stand up for our values and our traditions lest they be washed away in a sea of fear and relativism. As you likely know, I am running for President of the United States, and I am asking for your support.

          I have never been one who is comfortable talking about my faith in the political arena. In fact, the pandering that typically occurs in the election season I find to be distasteful. But for those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do. I know, as you do, that our freedoms come not from man, but from God. My record of public service reflects my reverence for the Natural Rights with which we have been endowed by a loving Creator.

          I have worked tirelessly to defend and restore those rights for all Americans, born and unborn alike. The right of an innocent, unborn child to life is at the heart of the American ideal of liberty. My professional and legislative record demonstrates my strong commitment to this pro-life principle.

          In 40 years of medical practice, I never once considered performing an abortion, nor did I ever find abortion necessary to save the life of a pregnant woman. In Congress, I have authored legislation that seeks to define life as beginning at conception, H.R. 1094. I am also the prime sponsor of H.R. 300, which would negate the effect of Roe v Wade by removing the ability of federal courts to interfere with state legislation to protect life. This is a practical, direct approach to ending federal court tyranny which threatens our constitutional republic and has caused the deaths of 45 million of the unborn. I have also authored H.R. 1095, which prevents federal funds to be used for so-called “population control.” Many talk about being pro-life. I have taken and will continue to advocate direct action to restore protection for the unborn.

          I have also acted to protect the lives of Americans by my adherence to the doctrine of “just war.” This doctrine, as articulated by Augustine, suggested that war must only be waged as a last resort--- for a discernible moral and public good, with the right intentions, vetted through established legal authorities (a constitutionally required declaration of the Congress), and with a likely probability of success.

          It has been and remains my firm belief that the current United Nations-mandated, no-win police action in Iraq fails to meet the high moral threshold required to wage just war. That is why I have offered moral and practical opposition to the invasion, occupation and social engineering police exercise now underway in Iraq. It is my belief, borne out by five years of abject failure and tens of thousands of lost lives, that the Iraq operation has been a dangerous diversion from the rightful and appropriate focus of our efforts to bring to justice to the jihadists that have attacked us and seek still to undermine our nation, our values, and our way of life.

          I opposed giving the president power to wage unlimited and unchecked aggression, However, I did vote to support the use of force in Afghanistan. I also authored H.R. 3076, the September 11 Marque and Reprisal Act of 2001. A letter of marque and reprisal is a constitutional tool specifically designed to give the president the authority to respond with appropriate force to those non-state actors who wage aggression against the United States while limiting his authority to only those responsible for the atrocities of that day. Such a limited authorization is consistent with the doctrine of just war and the practical aim of keeping Americans safe while minimizing the costs in blood and treasure of waging such an operation.

          On September 17, 2001, I stated on the house floor that “…striking out at six or eight or even ten different countries could well expand this war of which we wanted no part. Without defining the enemy there is no way to know our precise goal or to know when the war is over. Inadvertently more casual acceptance of civilian deaths as part of this war I'm certain will prolong the agony and increase the chances of even more American casualties. We must guard against this if at all possible.” I’m sorry to say that history has proven this to be true.

          I am running for president to restore the rule of law and to stand up for our divinely inspired Constitution. I have never voted for legislation that is not specifically authorized by the Constitution. As president, I will never sign a piece of legislation, nor use the power of the executive, in a manner inconsistent with the limitations that the founders envisioned.

          Many have given up on America as an exemplar for the world, as a model of freedom, self-government, and self-control. I have not. There is hope for America. I ask you to join me, and to be a part of it.

          Sincerely,

          Ron Paul

          For More Information Contact:
          Paul Dorr
          Iowa Field Director
          RonPaul2008@...
          Phone: 712-758-3660

          Ron Paul 2008
          Presidential Campaign Committee
          www.RonPaul2008.com
          Phone: 703-248-9115
          FAX: 703-248-9119

          Commentary Index

          Back to The Covenant News
          Covenant News | P

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 18, 2007
            Samantha E wrote:
            > Given the subject of voting being up right now, what would any of you
            > here say regarding Ron Paul who is running for president (Republican) in
            > the next presidential election (USA)? Below is his statement of faith
            > as sent to me by a friend.
            > ~Samantha
            >
            > I am running for president to restore the rule of law and to
            > stand up for our divinely inspired Constitution.

            I have a serious problem with this line, and would need clarification of
            some others.
          • Ic Neltococayotl
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 18, 2007
              Larry,

              Well the Republican Party calls itself God's Party. So they need their
              Sacred Writ if they are going to call themselves that. Like Hezbollah,
              which means the Party of God. Both are warmongers.

              More politically driven than God-fearers, in my view. Most of politicos
              put their party first and God second, unless they can use Him for their
              own ends...then flows the Christianise

              Edgar

              --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Larry Bump <lbump@...>
              wrote:

              > Samantha E wrote:
              > > Given the subject of voting being up right now, what would any of
              you
              > > here say regarding Ron Paul who is running for president
              (Republican) in
              > > the next presidential election (USA)? Below is his statement of
              faith
              > > as sent to me by a friend.
              > > ~Samantha
              > >
              > > I am running for president to restore the rule of law and to
              > > stand up for our divinely inspired Constitution.
              >

              > I have a serious problem with this line, and would need clarification
              of
              > some others.

            • Larry Bump
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 18, 2007
                Ic Neltococayotl wrote:
                > Larry,
                >
                > Well the Republican Party calls itself God's Party. So they need their
                > Sacred Writ if they are going to call themselves that. Like Hezbollah,
                > which means the Party of God. Both are warmongers.

                I haven't been too wild about them since that Lincoln fellow.

                Larry
              • forisraelssake
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 18, 2007
                  > Larry,
                  >
                  > Well the Republican Party calls itself God's Party. So they need their
                  > Sacred Writ if they are going to call themselves that. Like Hezbollah,
                  > which means the Party of God. Both are warmongers.
                  >
                  > More politically driven than God-fearers, in my view. Most of politicos
                  > put their party first and God second, unless they can use Him for their
                  > own ends...then flows the Christianise
                  >
                  > Edgar

                  In fairness to Paul, he is anti-war to the utmost and despises war and
                  is the only Republican candidate for presidency that is against the
                  military-industrial complex, voted against the Iraq War in the House,
                  and makes the immediate withdrawal of all American forces from Iraq a
                  part of his platform. (Actually he wants all American troops out of
                  every country in the world, and the US out of the UN and the UN out of
                  the US). He is running as a Republican because of the reality of the
                  two-party state, not because he is part of the cult of Lincoln.

                  Elder Bump, if you could vote for Ronald Reagan, then you could
                  happily and joyfully vote for Ron Paul, who exceeds Reagan in all
                  respects. I support Mr Paul. (Though as a Canadian that is of little
                  help with the nomination process.)

                  http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/ - Articles by and about Paul

                  --Chris
                • Larry Bump
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 18, 2007
                    forisraelssake wrote:
                    > Elder Bump, if you could vote for Ronald Reagan, then you could
                    > happily and joyfully vote for Ron Paul, who exceeds Reagan in all
                    > respects. I support Mr Paul. (Though as a Canadian that is of little
                    > help with the nomination process.)

                    I was not a believer when I voted for Reagan. I would not have, had I
                    the same scruples I do now.

                    Larry
                  • Deejay
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 19, 2007

                      Many folks including Christians, voted for George Dubya,  cos he supposedly "wears his faith on this sleeve," yet as a somewhat ignorant Brit bystander, I find that an oxymoron in many respects. I'm not questioning his estate, just that his so-called "Christian stance"  when he openly practices pluralism amongst other things; it would probably be better if he didn't "wear his faith on his sleeve" that way he couldn't bring it into disrepute!

                      ~Deejay

                      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Larry Bump <lbump@...> wrote:

                      > forisraelssake wrote:
                      > > Elder Bump, if you could vote for Ronald Reagan, then you could
                      > > happily and joyfully vote for Ron Paul, who exceeds Reagan in all
                      > > respects. I support Mr Paul. (Though as a Canadian that is of little
                      > > help with the nomination process.)
                      >
                      > I was not a believer when I voted for Reagan. I would not have, had I
                      > the same scruples I do now.
                      >
                      > Larry

                    • Larry Bump
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 19, 2007
                        Deejay wrote:
                        > Many folks including Christians, voted for George Dubya, cos he
                        > supposedly "wears his faith on this sleeve," yet as a somewhat ignorant
                        > Brit bystander, I find that an oxymoron in many respects. I'm not
                        > questioning his estate, just that his so-called "Christian stance" when
                        > he openly practices pluralism amongst other things; it would probably be
                        > better if he didn't "wear his faith on his sleeve" that way he couldn't
                        > bring it into disrepute!

                        That is also very much my thought on the subject.
                      • Ic Neltococayotl
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 19, 2007
                          That is the way of politicians; Their own power, position, and
                          political party FIRST...Christ (if they claim to be a Christian) a
                          woefully distant 2nd (and that is being charitable)...

                          Edgar

                          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Deejay"
                          <crazy_calvinist@...> wrote:

                          > Many folks including Christians, voted for George Dubya, cos he
                          > supposedly "wears his faith on this sleeve," yet as a somewhat
                          ignorant
                          > Brit bystander, I find that an oxymoron in many respects. I'm not
                          > questioning his estate, just that his so-called "Christian stance"
                          when
                          > he openly practices pluralism amongst other things; it would probably
                          be
                          > better if he didn't "wear his faith on his sleeve" that way he
                          couldn't
                          > bring it into disrepute!
                          >
                          > ~Deejay
                          >

                          > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Larry Bump lbump@
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > forisraelssake wrote:
                          > > > Elder Bump, if you could vote for Ronald Reagan, then you could
                          > > > happily and joyfully vote for Ron Paul, who exceeds Reagan in all
                          > > > respects. I support Mr Paul. (Though as a Canadian that is of
                          little
                          > > > help with the nomination process.)
                          > >
                          > > I was not a believer when I voted for Reagan. I would not have, had
                          > > the same scruples I do now.
                          > >
                          > > Larry

                        • Deejay
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 19, 2007
                            Agreed. Edgar. I've been a political dissenter the last few years when
                            its come to voting here in England. As to vote for any of them seems
                            to be to condone them and their idolatory, and something one can't do
                            without in affect voting for evil. Something I don't see God
                            advocating any one doing in Scripture--supporting evil--under any
                            circumstances.

                            ~Deejay

                            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Ic Neltococayotl"