RE: [Covenanted Reformation] Question

  • Glenn Ferrell
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 13, 2007
      I wonder if it was in the Abolitionist debates, because they wanted to support the Radical Republicans.  Don't know, just guessing.

      Any further information would be appreciated.

      Glenn

      J. Glenn Ferrell, Pastor, Sovereign Redeemer Presbyterian Church, Boise, Idaho   http://sermonaudio.com/reformationidaho

      To: covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
      From: lbump@...
      Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 18:21:03 -0400
      Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Question

      Glenn Ferrell wrote:
      > Can anyone tell me when the RPCNA changed their stand on voting in US
      > civil elections and what arguments were used for the change?

      Before my time, and I don't know.
      I wish I could help.

      Larry

    • Larry Bump
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 13, 2007
        Glenn Ferrell wrote:
        > I wonder if it was in the Abolitionist debates, because they wanted to
        > support the Radical Republicans. Don't know, just guessing.
        >
        > Any further information would be appreciated.

        I have some queries out, I'll let you know what I find.
      • forisraelssake
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 13, 2007
          > Glenn Ferrell wrote:
          > > I wonder if it was in the Abolitionist debates, because they
          wanted to
          > > support the Radical Republicans. Don't know, just guessing.
          > >
          > > Any further information would be appreciated.
          >

          > I have some queries out, I'll let you know what I find.

          It seems Jim Dodson puts the denominational Synod of 1967 as the year
          the position changed, and 1980 with the present Testimony as the year
          it was put into the Constitution itself.

          Chris
          Orthodox Reformed Church of Edmonton (URCNA)
        • Larry Bump
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 14, 2007
            Glenn Ferrell wrote:
            > Any further information would be appreciated.

            Here's what my Pastor says:

            We changed our testimony in 1964 or 1965, and allowed the voting *for
            those using the "Explanatory Declaration"* in 1968 or so. Despite the
            fact that many, probably most, in our denomination ignore this, it
            appears to me we're still supposed to do that. We're only to vote for
            those who have the Christian view of civil government, and we define
            what we mean by that in our _Testimony_. It basically, as it's written,
            demands use of the "Explanatory Declaration".
            The argument is that the "Explanatory Declaration" effectively
            insulates the declarer from the immorality of the current Constitution
            of government of the USA. In effect, it is really an Anti-Burgher
            Seceder position, which we effectively took up in 1871, though very few
            people inside the RPCNA realized the change of ground. It is the
            position I now hold again.
            Hope this helps a wee bit.